Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this rot on my rose ?

Posted by g-in-fl 9a Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 23:10

I noticed this rot on my new "The Impressionist" band today. We have had weeks and weeks of rain, and I have not checked my plants for two days because I've been ill.

I immediately cut the diseased portion off. Should I spray
with a fungicide?
Any information will be appreciated.
gracin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this rot on my rose ?

No fungicide needed. If you didn't prune immediately (1/4") above a leaf joint or latent growth bud, then recut the stem. Roses will kill off stubs down to where there is a growth bud. Usually they will stop the dieback right there, but in this case something went wrong. Not a big deal at all--your rose should be just fine.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 16:27

I've had this happen sometimes if I just snapped off the spent bloom and didn't prune back to a growth point. The rose will decided to grow from some point on the cane and anything above that is sacrificed and dies off. So I have to go back later and prune it off.

o

As others have said, nothing to worry about here. Just a rose deciding to get rid of a bit of stem lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here