Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Three centuries old rose engravings

anntn6b
9 years ago

The Royal Society of England has made available prints of some of their engravings from centuries ago.
(It's a great website just to wander through.)

But being's how this is the Antique Rose Forum, I thought you'd like to look at Elizabeth Blackwell's art work of Rosa alba, Rosa rubra, and Rosa damascene.

The artist stood out for several reasons: first she was a woman back when women weren't that active in science. Second she not only did the drawings, but she made the engravings as well, which she published in a book.

And, to my envy, she must have seen the blue poppy in person, because she made a lovely plate of it as well.

This link will take you to the page with her three illustrations; on the next page is a really historic drawing of what another scientist saw when he looked at "Blight on a rose leaf"

Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Page 10 of plants and flowers prints

Comments (11)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

The pictures are wonderful, Ann, by which I mean all of them because I had to look at all the pages. Mark Cateby's birds are very beautiful and I also enjoyed some of Richard Waller's flowers, especially his portrait of an iris. Thank you for this uplifting experience. The news on TV is all bad and it was healing to see that man (and woman) is also capable of creating something of beauty and worth.

Ingrid

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Thank you Ann. What a pleasure it is to look at these.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Thanks Ann, lovely engravings.

Are you sure there is a blue poppy (Meconopsis)?

The only blue flower looks like Centaurea cyanus, (Bachelor's button)?

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right, True-Blue.
    I was also wandering through other Blackwell sites and that's where I picked up the blue poppy.
    Here's a link

Here is a link that might be useful: 'called a black poppy'

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If ever a woman deserved to be immortalized in a movie, Elizabeth Blackwell should be at the head of the line.

For starts read this:

Here is a link that might be useful: A Curious Herbal, the story of

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Thanks for the bio, courageous loyal woman.

It seems that the link you send might have been photoshopped.

Maybe the link below is closer to the reality.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Papaver nigrum

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I would love to see her life as a movie, but also that of Maria Sibylla Merian. Both women made great contributions to art and science, and ought to be household names...

Come to think of it, Catesby's life might make a good film also- so little is known about him, there would be plenty of room for speculative 'embroidering' of the narrative...

Thanks for the link to the engravings- lovely!

Virginia

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I love looking at old plates and these are truly wonderful, thanks!

I got seeds for two different kinds of blue poppies, Himalayan and Hungarian Blue poppies, this spring and tried to start them. Sadly none of the grew.. :(

• mashamcl
    9 years ago

Beautiful engravings, and a very interesting story behind them. One of the things that caught my attention was how her "shady character" of a husband, during his time in prison, identified the plants and "provided their names in several different languages". His story seems to fascinating, too.

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Missouri Botanical Garden has digitized their copy of her Herbal, which is a second edition and a bit hard to read because it's printed in German Fractur, but the illustrations are there.

Here is a link that might be useful: The second edition

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Ann thanks for the link. That's a colossal work, she's done.

I find it sad that The Royal Society sells prints, which have been altered from the original. Even the bachelor's buttons have been altered.

Seil unless you have cool summers and a nice shady/ moist spot, it is very difficult to grow Meconopsis.

I've had a lot of success with Flanders & Turkish poppies (Papaver rhoeas & glaucum). You just direct sow them at the end of winter.