Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Oh boy...

I was hand watering some things a few hours ago when I saw a neighbor spraying down concrete with their hose. I mentioned that the current drought restrictions included hosing down concrete and that it would be great if they didn't continue to do so for their own sake. They immediately took great offense and in a very hostile tone mentioned that they had confronted some gardener (a mow and blow guy) about watering hours and were doing their part with that along with a litany of other unseen instances of looking out for the neighborhood. Sigh.

I just mentioned something that they could avoid a fine over (though it would never be policed I'm sure) and of course deflecting blame elsewhere for "worse" water waste was the result. I was being friendly, I was truly letting them know something they didn't, and their response was almost gloating over lambasting someone just doing their job. Lawn guys along with basically any watering can fall under several loopholes in the exempted circumstances of watering during those hours. I'd guess the members of the city council are all having their lawns and gardens tended to during those hours. That and I see home gardeners (including this person) breaking that "rule" with no repercussions all the time. People are pretty tough to deal with at times. I imagine getting away from those sort of people is one of the appeals of gardening.

It was essentially an insignificant amount of water in the grand scheme of things, and not something I was interested in creating a spat over, but it goes to show how someone can simply not handle what they perceive as criticism or personal assault even in person with clear tones and body language. It makes the recent "controversies" on the rose forum seen reasonable to come up after what I just experienced. Geesh.

Jay

Comments (5)

• shopshops
    9 years ago

Sorry Jay
    Sad that neighbors can't give a little counsel once in a while anymore. Take them some roses. Hopefully this will pass and all will be well between you guys again.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually had just brought over a Burgundy Iceberg that had to get moved during a recent fumigation at my parents' home that my mom is replacing with Paul Bocuse. The neighbor has some regular Icebergs and I was going to offer it to them. Maybe roses can calm the situation down.

The neighbor in question is certainly a challenge for most of the people on this block. They're the only person who didn't come to the block party a few weeks back, but I've been personable with them the last couple years and always provide an ear when I'm in the front gardening and they happen to be outside. I don't think they have anyone particularly close left or many callers so I have tried to be friendly, but I've seen why they have their reputation on several occasions now. What's said is said and all I can do is be a civil person and not let them impact me or anyone else in the neighborhood.

Jay

• shopshops
    9 years ago

You're right Jay. Somethings are outside of your control. However, that burgundy iceberg would have been such a pop of colour amongst those whites. :-)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Jay, some people seem to thrive on confrontation and have a world view of everyone always being against them, and your neighbor might just be one of that unlovely group. All you can do is try to placate them since they'll never think that they could possibly be wrong. You seem to have a very mellow and forgiving attitude, and that will the best way to handle these spiky individuals. Since they're your close neighbors keeping the peace at all cost is the most politic thing to do. I hate strife with neighbors and will do almost anything to avoid it, for the sake of my serenity and peace of mind. Unfortunately you can't choose your neighbors any more than you can your family members, who can also be a mixed bag at times. I have to say that watching someone hose down their driveway when water is so precious would definitely raise my blood pressure.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Well, don't feel badly. I have yet to find a good way to mention to THREE neighbors at the end of the block that they're dumping gallons of water down the Lane, every few days.

I may yet just resort to turning them in.

Jeri