Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Mystery Rose

Kippy
9 years ago

On Thursday my new Rogue Valley mystery roses had a little but that was showing some medium yellow. It was a small bud, but of course just new band size so small is maybe temporary. It is still leafing out and living in the shade of the oak tree with a bunch of other bands is you notice different leaves

But today when I checked expecting a yellow bloom it was white with just a hint of yellow. Looking at what Rogue has that might match, the petals remind me of Manchester Guardian Angel. What do you think? It is a small bloom. About 1.5" but off a band

Comments (14)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

If it is Manchester Guardian Angel, it will have prickles that are truly terrifying. I will look to see if I still have any photos of it.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

"Manchester Guardian Angel"

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeri, I remembered that you said it was immense and full of thorns.

I will check the canes some more this week. But it does look like a baby version of the white bloom in the lower left corner.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Yes. I rather thought so.

A photo I have NOT found was of prickles on a new cane. With the light behind them, they were blood-red, and made me think of the Wing-Thorn Rose, only in miniature.

I think this is a rose that, if you had it in the right location (I did not) would be a wonderful asset to the garden. It was disease-free, and a good bloomer. It was my misfortune that I bought two of it, under different study names: "Manchester Guardian Angel" (the original one) and "Georgetown Lemon-White Tea."

I know it has been found in 3 widely-separated locations in California, so it is quite likely that it was in commerce at one time, and had a "historic" name -- now lost.

Here is the original plant, as discovered by Joyce Demits.

Jeri

(Photo by Alice Flores)

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow now that is an angel guardian.

I think I will put it down in my wall-o-thorns

Thank you for sharing that photo

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Wall O Thorns is perfect for it. And I'm glad you have it.

Jeri

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Like this?

• jerijen
    9 years ago

But are they ever red? Because I remember the sun shining through them, like a miniature version of the Wingthorn Rose.

I still can't find those photos -- but I found one showing new growth as very red, and here is a good image of a leaf. At least, you can compare the leaf form.

Jeri

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bloom today.

Ring any bells?

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Is the new growth red?

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No new growth yet. Maybe once this bloom is done. They do last fairly well

• catsrose
    9 years ago

It looks very much like the mystery rose I got from Rogue about three years ago. It wasn't MGA, which I also grow. But it did turn into a very sprawling rambler and I had to move it to the back 40.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What ever it is, the just under 100 degree heat (in the shade) has not bothered it and the bloom is still hanging on pretty well. Pretty good for a little band just potted up.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cats, do you have any photos of the plant? I think I really like this one just for holding the bloom open and looking good for so long. Now to figure out just how big it might get.