Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenburn_gw

Do you grow these roses

Glenburn
12 years ago

I purchased these roses this year and would like some feedback if possible on them, they are.

Aimee Vibert

Laneii

Mrs Reynolds Hole

Souv D'Alphonse Lavalle

Souv de Mme Breuil

Comments (13)

• jerome
    12 years ago

I grow Aimee Vibert (the bush form) in Orange County CA. It is not a good rose for me. I have had it for 4-5 years. It has never gotten large, has major cane die-back, and looks bad most of the time. I should shovel prune it, but am too lazy/merciful/stubborn. I am sure it's a magnificent rose somewhere, just not here. And I have 2 plants, so opinion is based on 2 different plants in two different locations - and both are in prime real estate. I do not grow the other 4 cultivars you mention.

• aimeekitty
    12 years ago

I dont think I've had my Aimee (bush) long enough to really say. I got her as a band from RV early this year and she's grown a lot in the short time I've had her, but she's still in a 3 gall pot.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

My Aimee V. (from Jerome) is finally doing pretty well, given lavish attention for years, and outstanding soil. You may have a different one there in NSW. Since Jerome gave it to me, I couldn't give up on it!

• Glenburn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies about Aimee V, to Jerome, Aimeekitty and Hoovb. It is appreciated.I guess no one else in America gows these roses. I might have to find out more of the history to the others I mentioned, Regards David.

• aimeekitty
    12 years ago

I was interested in Mrs Reynolds Hole from the Tea roses book , but I've never seen it for sale.

• User
    12 years ago

I have Aimee Vibert (shrub form) too. I just got it this year, though. I must have killed three our four trying to get it past the band stage. This is one you'll want to pot up right away if you get it as a band.

Mine is doing well. It wants to bloom more than grow. Which is fine with me, but I guess I need to be more diligent about disbudding it to let it get some growth on.

It's growing under an overhang, so I have no disease issues since the leaves stay dry all the time. The heat doesn't seem to bother it at all.

• rinaldo
    12 years ago

I have Aimee cl. (budded from Pickering) that after at least three years has just begun to earn its place in the garden where it makes its way up a dark leaved loropetalum. My verdict is that it is a lovely rose that takes its time.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I have Aimee -- Bush Form -- a Legacy plant from the Sacramento Cemetery.

Still in a 7-G., it is growing vigorously, blooming well, and has no disease problems. I like it VERY much.

Jeri in Coastal Ventura Co.,
    SoCal

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    12 years ago

I have the climbing form of Aimee Vibert.
    It was planted at the foot of a small golden gage tree about 15 months ago. It has climbed up through the tree to hang down out of the branches very prettily.
    It starts to flower quite late. Here in the Mediterranean about early to mid July.
    I have just been out to look at it. It is still producing lots of new flowers.
    Daisy

{{gwi:307231}}

{{gwi:307232}}

• Glenburn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the picture of your A Vibert, Daisey. It is wonderful. I am in country NSW Australia, so I am guesing mine should grow quite well. Thanks to, bellegallica, rialdo, jeri, for your comments as well. When mine starts to flower I will post it.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I had Aimee Vibert, bush form which is said to repeat well. For some reason it just bored the living daylights out of me. I'm not all that crazy about white roses; I didn't like the scent (what little I could detect); and I seem to recall that it kept snagging me wickedly.

I ended up passing it along to someone else. Or did I just SP it? I no longer remember.

Rosefolly

• jannorcal
    12 years ago

I volunteer at the Historic Rose Garden in Sacramento. Jeri's plant is a clone of a very old plant in the cemetery near downtown Sacramento.
    The plant in the cemetery, before there were 'caretakers' in more recent years, was reported to have been 8x8 feet. It has been subsequently pruned and now is perhaps 4x6 feet. It is in an area of the cemetery that does not get regular irrigation. So during the summer, when we have no rainfall, the plant can look a bit pitiful and stressed. But in the spring, following a winter of rains it is gorgeous. My photos of the plant are on HelpMeFind. Here is the full bush shot in Nov 2009:
    Aimee Vibert Bush

Your climate, based on a quick glance at Wikipedia seems similar to Sacramento, we may have a bit more extremes of heat and cold in summer and winter, and we get less average rainfall, but my guess is that this rose will do well for you once established. I do find our clone to be fragrant, perhaps best described as a body powder type scent.

We also grow Laneii in the cemetery, it is in the rose garden area and gets irrigation and much more attention than Aimee Vibert. Our soil is generally very sandy in the cemetery. Laneii has suckered freely and covers a significant portion of the plot that it is planted in. In less sandy soil it may not sucker as much. It would be relatively easy to keep contained since the suckers are fairly superficial and easy to remove.
    A photo of Laneii at the cemetery:
    Suckering Laneii

• Glenburn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jannorcal, thanks for the info and pictures. These 2 roses are planted in a new bed. Hopefully they will be crossed, if it will work, David.