Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjlinva

Geranium vs. Highdowniensis

15 years ago

I realized I do not have any of the Moyesii roses in my collection. How would these do in this area no spray? Do you think one is better than the other? why?

Robert

Comments (10)

• 15 years ago

I always wanted to grow one of Moyesii roses myself, but they get huge and my space is small. I know one person here who grows them. They are gorgeous in spring, but then look ugly because of BS. It is OK in his situation, he just have them at the back of his big property and only looks at them when they are beautiful.
    Olga

• 15 years ago

'Geranium' has the distinctive solid geranium-red, cross-like flower. Have seen no blackspot or other noticeable foliage diseases on any Moyes roses here, apparently another example of regional variations in fungal virulence (based on above report).

• 15 years ago

I've got an area where defoliation would not be an issue. Robert

• 15 years ago

I have Geranium, still small. Gets BS though. I have it in a situation where it can easily be sprayed so I don't mind. I LOVE those blooms.

If it gets large.....I'll have to move one of its neighbors.

• 15 years ago

I must tell you one thing I have learned about Moyesis. My rose expert friends said you can never be quite sure of what you are getting. Mine were all not what they were labled, though it probably didn't matter much. I don't think I could advise you well on blackspot because it's rather dry here. Mine get alot of ugly die-back. The hybrids like Eddies Jewell or Scharlaglut are very pretty. These seem disease resistant.

• 15 years ago

'Eddie's Jewel' has been sold as 'Geranium' (and other things) in the past. There has also been a problem with a single pink rose, resembling an R. canina rootstock cultivar being sent as 'Geranium'.

• 15 years ago

I'm fairly sure I have 'Geranium'. The color is a very unusual black-light red that isn't like anything else. It's a much larger rose than usually described, which may be because it's in a fair amount of shade, or because it's really something else.

• 15 years ago

I love the bloom form on Highdownensis and though its in a fairly congested and shadier area at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden I've never seen it to be that disease prone.

• 15 years ago

'Geranium' is geranium red, blackish red would be likely to be something else.

This excellent form, raised at Wisley and selected by B. O. Mulligan, is of more compact growth than the type, with more copious, larger, fresh-green leaves. The flowers are a magnificent blazing red, and the heps are larger and smoother than those of the average Rosa moyesii, and of equally good colour. Undoubtedly the best type for the average garden, or at least for those gardeners who prefer a reasonably compact erect bush up to 10 feet by about 7 feet, rather than a gawky tree-like shrub creating overhead shade. It has few thorns

--THE GRAHAM STUART THOMAS ROSE BOOK (Frances Lincoln)

• 15 years ago

is

The darkest-flowered single rose, resembling R. moyesii in shape and type of flower, but the growth is more graceful, the branches forking and interlacing, making a large mass sparsely covered with small, pretty leaves...It is best placed so that the sun shines through the murrey-crimson of the flowers, greatly enhancing their color

--Same