Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

What Looks Great Next to Mme. Isaac Pierre

Hi,

I have a Mme. Isaac Pierre in the corner of an L -shaped raised planter and am at a total loss in determining what should be placed between it and a Pink Peace. My backyard has a mix of the old and new with a focus upon fragrant varieties. The space will accommodate a rose that is 4-5' wide and up to 6' tall. The rose must be heat tolerant.

Neighbors on that side of the planter are Golden Celebration in he opposite corner and a Pleasure Floribunda that was supposed to be a Young Lycidas but I chickened out at the last minute fearing Y.L. just would not make it during the hottest part of the summer.

Any suggestions you can provide would be immensely appreciated as I am in that pulling out my hair stage.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 9:07

Comments (15)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

If in doubt, go with white -- try 'Ducher'.

:-)

~Christopher

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christopher, thank you for the suggestion:) My fear is how white will respond to the heat and sun during July and much of August. The rose will need to withstand morning - 2 1/2 hours of afternoon heat. I placed MIM in the corner which receives a reprieve from the summer sun first. It's roots and bottom 12" will always be shaded by a very heat tolerant plant in front of it, and there is a palm tree behind it, so a little micro climate. The rose next to MIM will just be out there....

• jerijen
    10 years ago

In company with those colors, I'd go with poiple. There are a number of really good purples, old and new. Tom Carruth's poiples ought to work for you.

Below see 'Eyes For You,' the next "blue" rose I'm going to plant -- but this one isn't in commerce in the U.S.

Jeri

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Belinda's Dream might be a consideration. In my hot garden it hasn't grown nearly as much as other people have experienced and is well within your growth parameters. La France is a rather narrow rose, and the large, globular blooms with great fragrance do very well in my heat.

Ingrid

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Lyn, I know there's been lots of discussion about your climates. Can you grow Noisettes? Do you want 6' of height?
    I think all the suggestions are great. Purple and or white. Seems to me PP and MIP have a similar bloom. What about something with a smaller bloom like a white/pale pink noisette?
    That gives you fragrance and a better repeat than MIP (though I don't know about PP).
    Susan

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    I wouldn't use Carruth's Ebb Tide in your yard. I have three--two are in a veritable hell of heat with southern exposure, right next to the house, and, of course, they fade like crazy. The third ET has a western exposure with some shade. It fades just as badly. Twilight Zone is a better alternative, if you have to have that kind of purple. You might give Young Lycidas consideration again in the future. That rose is tough--survived a traumatic transplant a few months ago to another hot spot, and has taken off like crazy, always blooming. It does have a lot of floppy long canes, all with blooms, that are tied up, but I've found my Austins grow out of this phase. I think it's an excellent rose. Good luck, and I hope it has cooled down a little for you, as it has here (a lot actually, due to our northerly latitude--having a big storm right now in fact.. Diane

Original Author
    10 years ago

poorbutroserich, I have yet to try a noisette. I have a few bourbons, a handful of hybrid perpetuals and a handful of Austins. I am interested in trying Noisettes but I am so unfamiliar with many of them and their growth habits etc. I fear most white roses in the intense heat areas as many of the blooms just do not stand up to it and burn. I have heard that Bolero and Kronprinzessin Victoria are heat tolerant.

I had ruled out purple in this spot that will get a lot of summer heat because for some reason I had likened its performance to lavender, which I just cannot grow other than in a partial shade and morning sun only area or it just looks awful. I do not know why I made that assumption. I can only guess it is due to the horrid look of most lavender roses during the summer.

Nanadoll, I purchased a Young Lycidas bareroot on Dr. Huey that will arrive this winter because I could not resist the beauty of it. It is going in a little micro climate I created in the front yard, but the back yard... I think it would look great next to MIP but I wish I knew it would survive and thrive. I am thinking that if the one in the front yard performs well, I might move the Pleasure to a pot or gift it, and plant a Y.L.i n its place. I really like the floppy canes and nodding heads in the right garden application. I find it very charming.

Ingrid, La France is beautiful! How well does it hold its color during the summer?

10 years ago

Lyn, I love the Noisettes so much, it's worth a try. Reasonably lax canes, great fragrance and constant bloom. Check out Felicia on HMF.
    Mine is less pink, likely the fading in hot sun. Pinking up a bit more now that it is getting cool.
    Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: felicia on HMF

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

Mme Ernest Calvat, the sport of Mme Isaac Pereire (not Pierre)
    is a beautiful rose.

Original Author
    10 years ago

mauvegirl8,

It is a beauty! My concern is the size at maturity. HMF has it listed at 8' x 4' which the width is perfect and it is likely that I can keep it pruned down to 6'. Do you grow Mme. Ernest Calvat and may I ask, what is your experience with its heat tolerance?

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I have a Baronne Prevost next to mine.

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

My Ernest Calvat has been in my garden only 1 year.
    I do not know the size at maturity. The foliage is ever green despite
    my very hot & high humidity summer season. No blackspot.

Another rose for thought, is Louise Odier, very lovely

Original Author
    10 years ago

I thank you all for the suggestions. I decided to play it safe per Christopher's suggestion and moved a white rose from my side yard to the planter. If I get bored with it, selecting something else will give me something to purchase next season.

Blue Girl, I am strongly considering Ernest Calvat for another location, and the Twilight Zone suggested by Nanadoll for my front side yard in an area near Munstead Wood.

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

My Ernest Calvat has been in my garden only 1 year.
    I do not know the size at maturity. The foliage is ever green despite
    my very hot & high humidity summer season. No blackspot.

Another rose for thought, is Louise Odier, very lovely

10 years ago

Twilight Zone is a beautiful, fragrant rose. Mine doesn't repeat as often as I'd like but its young.
    Susan