Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Ghiselaine de Feligonde

carla17
15 years ago

I saw this rose offered and it looks beautiful. Can't find any info. on it. Does anyone grow this?

Thank you,

Carla

Comments (19)

• palustris
    15 years ago

In zone 6 'Ghiselaine de Feligonde' makes a good pillar rose or short climber to about 12'. She makes a good reliable rose that retains its foliage and does have some scattered rebloom mid summer. 'Ghiselaine de Feligonde' is an all around outstanding rose.

This is four plants that were planted about 1925.

{{gwi:240097}}

A closeup:

{{gwi:240096}}

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is there fragrance?

Carla

• blackcatgirl
    15 years ago

Those were planted in 1925? Wow. Exquisite rose with exquisite name. I'm really having trouble separating a quality rose from a quality name :-)

Currently reading "Pink Ladies and Crimson Gents" about the origins of some of these aptly named roses. Great read, incredible photos.

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

hi, Carla,
    I planted this rose to grow around a pine tree. It bloomed nicely this spring in its second year and there has been a little bit of bloom this summer. It has had only a few yellow leaves through the summer and looks very healthy now. I like it a lot.

Palustris, can you tell me how you prune yours? It is really beautiful. Gean

{{gwi:274170}}

{{gwi:274169}}

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Carla------I initially bought this rose because of the name and the story behind how it was named--

Mine is still young but it is doing great in a part of the yard that doesn't get much attention
    {{gwi:301057}}

Florence

• york_rose
    15 years ago

How thorny is this rose? Could it be grown "no spray"?

• melva
    15 years ago

Rozanna used to have it, I think.

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

York Rose, I grow it no spray. Here it does get some BS, but not too much (less then 30% leaf loss). Keeps most leaves and looks good most of the time.
    Olga

• Molineux
    15 years ago

IS IT FRAGRANT?

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

GdF is a multiflora rambler. It has smooth canes and I don't remember any prickles, but there may be a few.

This site says it's "moderately fragrant." But it didn't register with me, particularly, but maybe it's that multiflora fragrance which I don't think registers with my brain. Maybe someone else has a better nose rememberer than me.

Here is a link that might be useful: ghislaine de feligonde

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know Robert in VA grows it and it is big.
    Robert, is it fragrant? It's really beautiful but I'm confused how it does around a tree at all. We've always been told now to grow a rose near a tree.
    Gean, yours is nice, I'm getting one. I love the french names.
    Maybe someone will answer ALL questions.

Carla

• geo_7a
    15 years ago

I guess the fragrance matter is an open question; HMF has the fragrance as mild-to-strong.

I bought mine last year, on the recommendation of Longwood Gardens (one of the roses that "passed the test" as being disease resistant in the area, plus they indicated as fragrant). Also, a Botanica quote of this rose being "the loveliest of all the multiflora ramblers".

It seems to be doing well, growing up into a jujube.

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Geo, makes me wonder where I should plant this gorgeous monster. I am a rose fragrance junkie but this one is so beautiful I don't care if it smells.

Carla

• york_rose
    15 years ago

But it didn't register with me, particularly, but maybe it's that multiflora fragrance which I don't think registers with my brain. Maybe someone else has a better nose rememberer than me.

Or maybe it's nearly scentless? Don't the Polyantha roses get their scentlessness from whatever multiflora was used in that breeding line? (That's always seemed odd to me, given how powerful the scent of R. multiflora can be, but maybe I'm not remembering things aright.)

• seattlesuze
    15 years ago

Ghislaine is moderately fragrant here, grows more slowly than I had expected (can't imagine how I expect you to translate that little bit of anecdote!), and is well-loved by everyone who visits the garden. I practised saying her name (zeesh-lehn)for a long time so I'd get it right and then found out that everyone has a different idea. She's a beauty!

• york_rose
    15 years ago

Meh. It's probably a French "mispronunciation" of a German female name (Gisele) anyway! ;-)

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

Carla, have you seen this entry on GdF from Woodland Rose Garden? Lots of interesting info. and a snippet on the woman the rose is named for.

Here is a link that might be useful: gdf

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Carla,

I wouldn't say it has no scent, but it isn't very fragrant to me. There is nothing I dislike about this rose. I actually have planted another one to climb up through some trees in dappled sun...paired with Tausenhdschon. I think the two intertwined will be unearably beautiful.

Robert

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the photos. Gean, thank you for the link.
    Thanks Robert.

Carla