Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

Questions about Perl d'or

boncrow66
9 years ago

I am curious to know how tall and wide PdO grows and is it very fragrant? I see that it is marked Earthkind so I know of should do well in my Texas heat. Thanks!

Comments (20)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention fragrance. Yes, it is fragrant. I get a light fragrance, similar to Cecile Brunner (which the blooms resemble amazingly - I picked two blooms off my baby plants of each - see pic), except a bit more citrus.

Jackie

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I agree with Jackie on the pruning. Remember -- this is a Poly-TEA. No hard-pruning, PLEASE! None at all until it's established. Just dead-head.

The big bush people are standing near, in the photo below, is 'Perle d'Or.' I think this one was planted in the 1950's (per the child grave it companions). It's just past its first big spring flush of bloom, photographed in mid-May, in Northern California.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

I had to cut mine back to the ground because of winter damage this subzero year and its recovery has been very weak.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jackie and Jeri thanks for the pics and the info on pruning. I didn't realize how large PdO could grow, might have to reconsider planting it in another spot of the yard.
    Michael I hope yours is able to come back from a brutal winter.
    Would it be safe to say I shouldn't hard prune any teas that I plant?

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Yes - tea roses do not like to be hard pruned (OK to cut off anything dead, of course). I do not prune mine at all until they are established for several years, and then I only cut to shape them (or keep them out of the driveway and paths).

Jackie

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jackie, I will be planting several next spring so it's good to know how I should or shouldn't prune them. I'll have to educate my hubbie too or I'll come home one day and everything will have had a hair cut lol.

• buford
    9 years ago

I find it very fragrant. I saw a hedge of them at the Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta. They were about 6 feet high and very full. I have one in a pot. But if it has one bloom on it and I walk by, i can smell it. I can't wait to plant it and have it be huge and covered with blooms.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I also find it very fragrant. Also, it was never troubled here by rust or mildew.

Jeri

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

I got mine late last summer, and she stayed in a pot until this spring. SheâÂÂs been a really great rose so far! I lost most of my new OGRs to the polar vortex, but she survived in her pot without too much dieback and has grown to about 2 1/2 ft tall and wide since going in the ground. Blooms in big flushes with quick repeat. Nicely fragrant to my nose. Very BS resistant. SheâÂÂs in an area that I water once a week if weâÂÂve had high heat and no rain, but otherwise, not at all.

HereâÂÂs a partial shot of her from this morning:

{{gwi:308518}}

And here she is this spring when she was small, but covering herself in blooms:

{{gwi:308519}}

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pat your PdO is beautiful! Thanks for sharing and thanks to everyone who chimed in to tell me about this beautiful rose. I will have to find a spot in my yard where she can shine.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

One in a public no-spray garden here was free of blackspot for several years, and very pretty, before it was removed (maybe for RRD). That's why I planted it.

• organic_tosca
    9 years ago

There are several in the Historic Rose Garden in the Old City Cemetery here in Sacramento. They are big and beautiful and really care-free. They also are well-covered with foliage, and the buds are adorable. We deadhead them and trim a bit when they encroach on the paths (and we cut out dead stuff), but that's it.We don't spray here, and yet I have never seen any insect damage or disease on them. They bloom like crazy! I haven't particularly noticed any fragrance, but I've learned that one person's nose may pick up scents that are non-existent to another's, and vice versa. Also, boncrow66, it gets pretty hot here in Sacramento, so I think you will really love this rose!

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks organic_tosca! I am very excited about planting this rose next year along with the other OGR's I will planting.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Just chiming in. Perle has been a great rose for me in TX (Dallas) and OR (Portland). Glad others posted size photos. She is has always grown larger than the 3' that some websites suggest. Mine can shoot up over 6 feet! Up to 8'? Mine is in partial shade which probably encourages her to stretch. She has always been super healthy and easy to grow. Blooms all season--early thru late. I detect a sweet light fragrance in mine. Carol

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Actually mine grew huge, maybe 7? feet tall by 8-9? feet wide. There are 8 of them in a row at the edge of our back patio. Too big for the location.

I do prune them now -- canes were threatening to break off from the weight. I took them down to about 4x4 and allow them to grow to about 6x6 before pruning back. They did not sulk long when I pruned them, are resumed blooming when they were about 5x5. That is about the size I now intend to prune them to in the future.

Rosefolly

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I think we pruned it too hard, too young, because we didn't know any better.

Folly, the way you did it -- letting them become really well-established before pruning was probably a better way of going about it.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I have decided against planting her in the original spot I had picked due to her size so I will have to find a more suitable spot for her to grow as big as she wants.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

I think Folly and Jeri are spot on. When mine shoots up from determination or neglect, I prune her with no icky consequences. I try to keep her at about 5' as well. Carol

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Mine has not got that big yet, but the one I observed for a few years was routinely pruned to 4' in spring and did fine under that regimen.