Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erasmus_gw

Clotilde Soupert in bloom today....plant shots

erasmus_gw
16 years ago

Clotilde is one of my favorites because of the massive bloom, great rebloom in big flushes, bs resistance, intense delicious fragrance, sheer soft loveliness. I have five plants, three in shade which are not bad bloomers through the summer.

This is two plants in my front yard by the street with a path between them:

{{gwi:308561}}

{{gwi:308562}}

{{gwi:308563}}

{{gwi:308564}}

{{gwi:308565}}

\
Even in heat it can have a touch of pink in the centers. Sometimes in fall there is much more pink.

Linda

Comments (19)

• jerome
    16 years ago

Linda,

That is so beautiful it made my morning. I had no idea Clotilde Soupert was that fine. I am going to look at it on Helpmefind the minute I finish posting this reply to your thread.

Jerome

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

Wow, that's a magnificent grouping of Clotilde Souperts.

I love the color and fragrance of Clotilde.

• Molineux
    16 years ago

One of my favorites. Flowers look like a miniature Bourbon roses. Sure she balls in cold/wet weather but that fault is correctable if you blow hard on the buds to force the outer petals apart. Powdery mildew shows up from time to time but quickly responds to a single application with a fungicide. For you organic types try using the Cornell Formula. It is supposed to be much more effective against mildew than black spot. Speaking of black spot this cultivar is really resistant. I have two and couldn't live without them.

BTW, if you like the petite shrub then try the vigorous climber. Very good repeat and as you can see from the below image has the wonderful habit of blooming from top to bottom. You get long stems with the climber and the flowers last a good week in the vase. Then of course there is the orgasmic fragrance. Available at COUNTRYSIDE ROSES and THE ANTIQUE ROSE EMPORIUM.

Image by Jean TN posted at a previous Clotilde Soupert thread.
    {{gwi:308566}}

Here is a link that might be useful: A Love Letter to Climbing Clotilde Soupert

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Mon dieu, that is simply gorgeous. Thanks.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

When she is good, she's the best. In rainy weather she's a disaster.

• devon_gardener
    16 years ago

Linda, your Clotilde bushes are amazing. When the thread
    opened, I thought "WOW"! This is one of the reasons I am
    loving this forum, to see photo's like this. I love your house,
    too. I love brick homes and yours looks grand in the pics.
    I thank you for the pleasure!

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

I really am infatuated with this lovely rose. Unfortunately, my climate here in rainy Washington is not the best place for her.
    Have heard she does not do well here at all. Thank you for letting me enjoy her through all of your beautiful photos Linda.
    (I have opted for Marie Pavie instead and adore her too, I just love polys!)

Adrienne

• hemlady
    16 years ago

Loved her too, but I finally tossed her out because she balled all the time. I rarely got a decent flower, even with the drought this year. I water with an overhead sprinkler and the roses have to learn to live with it. She couldn't. She smelled heavenly though!

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, all. I got my first two Clotildes in a trade..I think someone was sick of how they balled but I'm glad they got rid of them. I always lose the first flush to balling, but once it warms up she's good till winter. My two bushes in front are fat rounded plants but in this picture they're peeking out over the top of some big boxwoods. ( facing toward the sun)

Thanks about my house, Devon. It's about 110 years old so it's always something with it. That Cl. Cecile is amazing...I have a little one in a pot but it also reblooms well.
    Linda

• cemeteryrose
    16 years ago

My CS was a disaster this spring, too, and I was ready to SP her, but folks on this forum told me last year to have patience. This is its third summer in my garden, and after the PM and nasty little dried balls of buds disappeared, it's been beautiful. I've been bending and snapping off the dead flowers, much easier than cutting off sprays, and the plant has been growing very gracefully. Almost all of the flowers are blooming, and you are right, they are lovely and very fragrant. No way am I going to spend time blowing on buds to try to convince them to open - I might do that for Souv de la Malmaison, but CS has too many flowers, too small, to bother with it. However, the summer and fall blooms redeem the mess that it was this spring. Jerome, I think it would do well for you, if you don't have it. Pink Soupert opens better, but it isn't nearly as charming, IMHO.
    Anita

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Linda, that is just so beautiful! I finally gave up and dug mine up. She rarely looked like yours, she balled more than she bloomed. CS is very happy in your garden! I'm a tad jealous...

Carol

• carla17
    16 years ago

Very nice Linda. It would probably be a struggle between CS and me. I can't stand balling. Yours are beautiful.

Carla

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is ugly when it balls, and even when it doesn't ball you have to deadhead it. The old blooms are an ugly crisp beige. But I still think the positives way outweigh the negatives. I haven't seen any pm on it and not much bs. I really didn't notice any fragrance the first couple of years, and now it's consistently very fragrant. I think that when the plant gets a certain age to it it has more oomph for fragrance.

Linda

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Glossy, rich pics! Was that at night? It seemed like it from the lustrous dark green foliage and the luminous blooms. Terrific photos. Thanks, Brandy

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Those photos are perfection. Makes me want to place an order today for Clotilde. But I am really impatient with balling, so I gave up on my own beautiful little Clotilde a couple of years ago (sob). I loved her in many, many ways except for the balling. I am so glad to see you growing this rose and seeing it looking so great in your garden.

Randy

• predfern
    16 years ago

Is Clotilde Soupert hardy in zone 5? If so, I'm in!

• duchesse_nalabama
    16 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Linda. Thank you for posting them. If you were so inclined, I'd love to see a shot of your whole front yard; what you showed us is so lovely, I want to see the whole thing!

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Carla, Carol, Brandy, Randy, DUchesse, and Predfern. The photos were not taken at night. I looked up the hardiness and I've got it as hardy from zone 6. I hardly ever see any dieback here in zone 7. I forgot to mention that my Clotildes have hardly been watered all summer..I think I watered them twice and we are in one of the worst droughts in recorded history here. It is still blooming away and even though it has been high 80's or 90's this week. It's just a trooper.

Here's a front yard pic or two. I planted my front yard full of roses because the soil in front is good, the morning light is good, and I have a less than wonderful view out of my front door so I created a little enclosed feeling with big wild roses. Altogether it's a bit untamed and I do get offers to cut them down to size like they should be.

This is a few years ago:

{{gwi:308567}}

Gertrude Jekyll ( no longer with us)

{{gwi:273773}}

Linda

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    16 years ago

I grow Clotilde in zone 5 and she's been hardy for the past two years. I don't winter-protect her. She's a lot smaller than in the pictures above, though.