Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leezen4u

Maman Cochet

leezen4u
9 years ago

She is the prettiest of our Tea roses but also the stingiest with her blooms. OTOH they are wowsers when they open to perfection. Very healthy bush too.

Comments (18)

• leezen4u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The blooms may ball some when it's wet and foggy but most of the time they open well.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I think she will bloom more generously for you when the plant is really mature.

Jeri

• leezen4u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Let's hope so Jeri because I can't get enough of her blooms! You have been spot on with your advice... so I am patient, sorta......

She has not started to spread out yet like the MC in your picture. I saw how big she'll get when we visited the Sac Cemetery but when we visited the spring bloom was over.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

This rose is so beautiful I'm surprised it's legal. Having any blooms at all right now as you do seems like a great feat. I have close to nothing and there is still the heat of the rest of September and October to get through. Fingers tightly crossed for winter rain.......

Ingrid

• jerijen
    9 years ago

That plant in the photo I posted is the one from the Sacramento City Cemetery -- so it is probably about 19 years old. Also, they don't hard-prune their Teas -- and it does make a difference. The plants are big, and graceful, and bloom beautifully.

When I first saw, there, what Tea Roses CAN be, it simply changed my life.

Jeri

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

My young 'MC' has had some pretty blooms, but not nearly that richly colored. I hope that she will have some of those darker pink blooms as she gets older.

This was the Tea rose that was at the top of my list. I like or love most Teas, but she was one of my first flower crushes, and I was extremely happy that she was one of RU's sale roses this summer.

Your photos help me remember all over again why she was a must-have for me...

Thanks,
    Virginia

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

She is one of my favorites, an exquisite rose. She is a good bloomer for me but has been in the ground for 6 or 7 years. I would not be without her!

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Virginia -- If you like Maman Cochet, you'd LOVE Niles Cochet.

Jeri

• Molineux
    9 years ago

The images are ravishing, but nobody has mentioned anything about fragrance. I read somewhere that MAMAN COCHET has an orris root scent. On the other hand the deeper colored sport NILES COCHET supposedly lacks fragrance.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

My Niles Cochet is rather upright also, but it is only about 8 years old, so still a teenager. I love the color combination.

Just to show you how I never pay any attention to what rose color looks good next to what (the good combinations in my garden are all lucky accidents), I foolishly planted it right next to Grandmother's Hat, and they sort of clash. However, I planted a bunch of baby roses in a row in that bed, and my plan is that they will all intermingle, and it won't matter.

Jackie

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Jackie - So long's I Don't plant orange stuff no color combos bother me. :-)

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Jeri, I missed that tantalizing photo of 'Niles C' until just now, but yes, I'll confess to liking that whole family of Teas. A lot.

I did mean to ask- just how large can 'Maman C' get to be? Mine's still in a pot, but will need to go in the ground or in a larger pot this spring.

Thanks,
    Virginia

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I need a Niles Cochet and Maman Cochet. My baby MC did not survive the post office treatment.

I am loving Mons Tillier, how does the color of it and Niles Cochet compare?

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Oh, I don't find a comparison bet. Niles Cochet and Mons. Tillier. I guess Niles is bigger overall, in that he not only gets tall, but spready. For me, Mons. T is smaller, but that may be environmental. It's not in a good place. I should remove it, really.

As for Maman C -- I have a feeling that she can be very, very big, if allowed to be.

There's likely a hundred years in age (or close to it) between the Maman Cochet (shown lower) and the Niles Cochet (shown upper). The habit is the same, but Niles in this case is far bigger.

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

Jeri,

Where are those huge plants of M.c. and Niles Cochet that your photo so beautifully shows?

A 100 year old Tea rosebush. I'd love to see that.

Lux.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    9 years ago

How beautiful, Jeri. I would love to see that in person.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Easy for you to get to, Lux.

A little harder (but possible) for FloridaRose.

It is in "The Alameda" --on the way into Historic San Juan Bautista. The house it is associated with appears to be an old gas station. :-)

I know from historic accounts that a woman living in that approximate location was a "great gardener," so it is perhaps not surprising that this beauty is there

This is far from the only historic rose in this wonderful little town. We've been visiting there from sometime around 2004, and we are STILL finding new things. But it is interesting that the rose was discovered in 1906 (or thereabouts) in Niles, CA -- only a few miles north of this location. :-)

AND I should mention that the Heritage Roses Group and the local San Juan Bautista Heritage Roses Group are planning a seminar on the SJB roses, on May 2, 2015.

(Details to come!)