Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abqconiglio

Madame Isaac Pereire vs. Souvenir du President Lincoln

I've wanted to grow Madame Isaac Pereire but my first try ended up with fried flowers despite a vigorous bush (west facing wall in intense desert heat). My second try in partial shade was a plant that refused to grow after two years, then died over winter. I've read that Souvenir du President Lincoln is similar, and I've read that he is more heat tolerant. Have you had any experience comparing the two? Should I give MIP another try? Or give up?

Comments (9)

• zjw727
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, I can't be much help to you regarding Mme. Isaac Pereire, because my climate is SO completely different. However, the subject of S. du P.L. is interesting to me.Heirloom Roses has a BIG healthy bush of it growing in their garden, and every time I've seen it this summer (4-5 times) it has been in bloom, quite notable considering the poor re-bloom of many Bourbons. We had several bouts of rain this summer, and while nearby plants of La Reine and Mrs. John Laing etc. had badly balled blooms, President Lincoln's were mostly open. Impressive! The scent isn't as gloriously strong as MIP's, but it's lovely and sweet nonetheless. It's foliage also seemed to be on the clean side, for a Bourbon. I don't hear much about this rose...it doesn't seem to be one of the more widely available Bourbons- I wonder why?

• windeaux
    10 years ago

SdPL is a vastly under-appreciated rose. It's hardier than most Bourbons -- performs well in a fairly wide range of conditions. Everything zjw727 said comparing it to MIP is correct. I'll add that SdPL's growth habit is much more graceful than MIP's, and it doesn't have those killer prickles for which MIP is so infamous.

It's widely agreed that the dark pink rose now grown around the world as SdPL is not the original. All early sources describing SdPL remark on its very deep red color, shaded with an even deeper -- almost black -- red.

• rinaldo
    10 years ago

"Mme. Dubost" is similar in growth to MIP and copes with heat much better--though my heat is humid and not dry.

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Mme Dubost has the most wonderful scent! Also, the color is much more like MIP than President Lincoln.

Windeaux: a very good point about President Lincoln being a more graceful bush. It's less tall, and more rounded, as opposed to the gangly, sprawling canes of MIP. You know, Rogue Valley Roses has President Lincoln in stock, at a price of $13.95 for a band. I'm going to order it, because I'm now very curious to see how it will perform in my damp climate, especially as a comparison to MIP, which I already grow. How exciting! Hahaha : )

Zachary.

• professorroush
    10 years ago

I grow both. Of the two, I think there is no difference in sun damage and MIP is slightly more vigorous than SdPL. MIP also has slightly stronger scent to my nose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I’d love to see Souvenir du President Lincoln as a full bush. I love the color of Mme Isaac Pereire so a lighter color would not be as exciting, and I love the fragrance of MIP so that might be disappointing. Still, if SdPL is easier to grow and more heat tolerant, a rose in the hand...

Madame de Sevigne looks very similar to MIP. Deuil de Dr. Reynaud looks gorgeous. Souvenir de Victor Landeau looks to be cut of the same cloth as the others, as does Madame Dubost. All are beautiful. In my garden, MIP formed a rounded bush about 5 feet high after 3 years, no gangly canes which is unfortunate because I love the gangly canes. What to choose? Alas, but I only have room for one! I am suspecting that none is more heat tolerant than the others.

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

We grew M.I.P. and Mme. Ernst Calvat, its' pink sport and had to get rid of both. Though they were seductive and beautiful and very fragrant they defoliated from b.s. and rust, and we have a no-spray garden.

I'm tempted to try another pink Bourbon.

Lux

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Can't help you with Souvenir du President Lincoln. MIP grows well for me in sun, but it isn't on a wall in intense desert heat. I'm sorry you lost yours. I don't know if I'd try a third or not. Depends on how determined you are to have those luscious fragrant blooms - which don't repeat too often (at least for me). I've gotten rid of some roses that weren't happy and some I'm trying for the third time - in a different location. Location might be the key to success for you. But life's too short to take much aggravation from an area of your life that should be providing pleasure.

I don't think I've been helpful, but I sympathize. Good luck if you try again with MIP. Lou