Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Farmers Branch Earth-kind Trial Gardens

joshtx
10 years ago

Here are photos from my trip on Friday. I apologize they will be one at a time, I took the photos with my phone.

Started off at the historical park. This arbor is covered by a Lamarque noisette. It leads to an alcove where one is surrounded by a collection of Earth-kind roses.

Comments (24)

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Found myself surrounded on all sides by 10 foot tall EK roses. Duchesse de Brabant was by far the best of them, laden with blooms and smelling like a hot summer day. DdB was accompanied by Ducher, Perle d'Or, Antoine Marie, Louise Phillipe, and Souv. De St. Anne.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of the Duchesse's beautiful flowers.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Louis Phillipe.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perle d'Or looking rather pink due to the heat.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Headed now towards the EK Trial Gardens. The walking path is enjoyable.

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Josh. I wonder why my Duchesse de Brabant isn't blooming like this one - I'm just about 45 minutes away. My Louis Philippe too. I'm disappointed. There seem to be a lot of blooms in all these pictures for late August weather (I know we're in September, but the hot, dry weather still feels like August to me). And I've been irrigating. Bummer! But at least I heard that we might get some rain toward the end of this week. Lou

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The gardens

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Duchesse de Brabant showing off, again.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crepuscule's dainty blooms

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking down a row of roses planted in a hedge.

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

Thanks posting these, Josh. The pictures are beautiful, of course, but it's also nice to see what it is bloom this time of year.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Generous Gardener reaching an impressive 10-12 feet.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Dark Lady in full, smelly flush.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Disheartening to see RRD in the gardens. Luckily it was on a DdB so the trials are not affected.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heading out of the gardens

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The walk back to my car.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lou,

I'm not sure why yours are not blooming the same as those in the FB gardens. It may be that perhaps they are older than yours?

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

I'm very surprised they haven't done something about the RRD as they have a large, knowledgeable group of volunteers out there.

Josh, your pictures are gorgeous thank you for showing us; they've done a remarkable job out there, haven't they?
    ogrose

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh. I enjoyed the photo visit. I like seeing gardens at different times of the year and not just perfect spring.

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

Thanks for the photo tour, Josh. I have never visited the Farmer's Branch trial gardens, although the Texas Rose Rustlers have participated in many events there. Now, I wish I had joined them on those visits!
    Molly

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

I love the Lamarque bower.

thanks for posting,
    Lux

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Cant seem to spare the time to get up there to see those lovely gardens - thanks for the photo tour - they are lovely and so well kept!
    Judith

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alameda,

You should definitely try to make it on the 19th of October. Ogrose and myself will be there for the Celebration of Roses.

Josh

• gnabonnand
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing these photos, Josh.
    Luckily, I don't live far from Farmers Branch.
    I definitely need to visit there. I put a reminder on my iPhone calendar just now for October 19.

Thanks!

Randy