12 years ago

COME ONE, COME ALL

to Ventura County Rose Society�fs

�gSEPTEMBER CELEBRATION�h

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2011

Ventura County Educational Conference Center

5100 Adolfo Road, Camarillo

9:00 A.M. TO 2.00 P.M.

Drop in any time or spend the whole day!

It is time again for you, your family, your friends and your neighbors to get out and smell the roses for a few hours! Cut some of your own roses, encourage everyone you know to do the same and come share them with like-minded folks.

Come for an hour or spend the whole day.

�� There will be a large display of roses grouped by the different areas in which they are grown. Here is your chance to see what grows well in your particular area.

�� Rare roses for sale

�� Demonstrations and instruction on how to arrange roses for the home

�� A continuous showing of the rare documentary �gThe Quest for Roses�h

�� Surprises and rewards for various activities

�� Refreshments

�� The opportunity to mix and mingle with people who are interested in roses and all things rosy. The best part of any passion is to share it with others.

For further information please check the VCRS website at www.venturarose.org or contact Dawn-Marie Johnson at 805-279-7685

Comments (22)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I've always wanted to see that Quest For The Rose video, and I'm REALLY happy to have this opportunity.

Jeri

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You may add to your already wonderful list of available roses, one, five gallon Aptos, Jim. I'll be bringing it with me. If you would lke to add it to your preemptive sales, please feel free! And, Jeri, if it's convenient for you, I can pick up my iris from you there. Thank you! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Aptos

• landperson
    12 years ago

If I'm not mistaken there is a Fall shindig happening that same day at San Jose Heritage Rose Garden.

Yup, here's the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall in teh Heritage Rose...

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Kim, yes. That works perfectly.

We REALLY wish that the shindig at the Heritage, and the VCRS day were not in conflict, but ...

For those who will be in NoCal -- the Heritage is the hot setup. For those in SoCal, the VCRS event is a must.

Jeri

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Thank you Jeri. Please see if there are any cuttings I can bring you and we'll just make it a haul! Kim

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Kim, we'll have a BALL, no matter what. :-)
    I'm supposed to spend some time at a Consulting Rosarian table, so come sit with me, and we'll get into mischief.

Jeri

I wonder if I can sneak a Dalmatian in. I've managed it before .....

• roseseek
    12 years ago

We always do! I'm to work the sales table with JD. If the Dal gets hungry, I can bring the useless cat...Kim

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Oh, all three of ours LIKE cats!

Jeri

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Tartar or sauteed? Kim

• jerijen
    12 years ago

You are very bad Kim!

Jeri

• lagomorphmom
    12 years ago

"You are very bad Kim! "

I'm not a cat basher, but you haven't met the cat that occupies his house. ;-)

• jimofshermanoaks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For an updated list of the roses to be sold at the Celebration, go to www.venturarose.org.
    JimD

• jerijen
    12 years ago

The cats here are all very friendly souls -- and (excepting the one Jacob caught -- which inexplicably survived that occasion) all willing to make friends with dogs and children.

Jeri

• hartwood
    12 years ago

Anyone want to buy a couple of roses for a nice person in Virginia who is lusting after this gathering?
    Connie

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Which ones are you lusting after, Connie? hehehe I'm sure something can be worked out. "Ve haf vays!" Kim

• jimofshermanoaks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

'The Quest for the Rose' is an outstanding documentary on the origins and development of the rose in a series of six programs of about 28 minutes each. Since its broadcast in 1994, the documentary has not been available for viewing.

Thanks to rosarian Bill Grant, the VCRS has a copy of the program and it will be shown in its entirety over the course of the SEPTEMBER CELEBRATION at the Ventura County Educational Conference Building, 5100 Adolfo Rd in Camarillo on SATURDAY the 24th from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Of Especial significance was the segment on the importance of the original 'stud' roses in China; another segment deals with the development of the 'Peace' rose and its seminal influence in modern roses.

Since the program will be shown, so to speak, all day, you can walk in and out of the segments as your interest waxes and wanes and enjoy the other aspects of the Celebration--rare roses to buy, hundreds of blossoms to admire, personal attention to rose concerns and arrangements, rose artifacts, and a free trial membership in the VCRS if you bring roses to display. Look for the 'September Celebration,' a new polyantha by David Zlesak, named for this event and only for sale therein.

• jimofshermanoaks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Preemption permits people to put aside a rose before the actual date of the September Celebration upon payment of a premium price. Basically, sometimes people cannot get to an event early and when they do get there, the rose they wanted is already gone. And, sometimes, people operating the sale put aside roses for their friends or other people working the sale and thus get an advantage over others or strangers. So, to make it fairer, we permit preemption. You pay $25.00 and arrange for the pick up of the rose and it is yours before the day of the event.
    The process is simple: Go to the VCRS website (www.venturarose.org) to see the list of roses. If there is one that you like and want to reserve�send an email to jjjzdelahanty@earthlink.net and then send a check for $25.00 to Earl Holst at P.O.Box 102, Agoura Hill, Ca 91376 and the rose is yours. Be sure to make arrangements for a pick up either before or on the day of the September Celebration. The Celebration is at the Ventura County Educational Conference Center, 5100 Adolfo Rd. in Camarillo between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on September 24th.

• jimofshermanoaks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Preemption of roses for the September Celebration ends on this coming Wednesday, September 21st at midnight. Please note that Gloria Mundi and Archduke Charles are no longer available and that we have two new one gallon plants of 'Hannah Ruby.'
    JimD

• jimofshermanoaks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Preemption ends tonight at midnight. If you are in the area, come by on Saturday; you may be surprised at some of the people in attendance.

• jimofshermanoaks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Celebration went as planned with about 50 to 60 people over the course of the day. We showed the DVD in various segments; there were small private classes in rose arrangements; some three to four dozen roses were sold, including 'September Celebration,' 'Pinafore,' 'Ping Dong Zue Ji,' and a dozen and a half of John Bagnasco's Little Rascal series. We also sold a half dozen "Found" roses, including "de la vina mystery" and "Benny Lopez." It was a grand occasion, made grander by the presence of Jeri Jennings and Kim Rupert.....

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Thank you Jim! I had fun and it was a very enjoyable day, populated by very fun, neat people! When can we do it again? hehehe Kim

• jerijen
    12 years ago

We had a great time. A very rosey day, you might say See link for a little video:

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: VCRS September Celebration of Roses