Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Souvenir de Germain de St. Pierre

Does anyone else grow this tea rose? For me it's been a tall, gawky grower, particularly unattractive this year with spring mildew, with the mildewed leaves holding on and not much new growth. It's reviving now with extra mulch and water and pinching of new buds, but the general habit is still tall and gaunt. The flowers, which don't have many petals, tend to blow very quickly, but somehow I'm still fond of this rose. I'd like to hear how it does in others' gardens, assuming anyone has this rather rare and little-known rose.

Ingrid

Comments (12)

• catsrose
    11 years ago

Coincidentally, I was just thinking about getting it. Mildew isn't a problem for me, but blackspot is. I'll probably wait until spring now, as it's getting to late to plant here. Hopefully, someone closer to me will chime in.

• fogrose
    11 years ago

I've never heard of it. Any photos, Ingrid?

Diane

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diane, unfortunately not, it was never photogenic so I didn't bother. You can see the blooms on HMFR. I don't want to pass a final judgment on it since it's beginning to look better, but it may be an obscure rose with good reason.

Ingrid

• melva
    11 years ago

I have that rose..it has never had a problem with mildew or black spot and it has never grown very tall...no pictures from me either. I was thinking of moving it so it'll get more light..my yard has become very shady.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine has mostly afternoon sun with morning shade, which is not optimal, so I shouldn't be surprised if it's not at its best. Melva, what about the flowers on yours? Does it bloom fairly well, and are the flowers nice!

Ingrid

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Ingrid -- How long have you had this rose?

I have found that it takes a few years for a young Tea Rose -- and PARTICULARLY a young own-root Tea Rose -- to mature, and become the plant it was genetically programmed to be. I've seen this over and over again both in my own garden, and in public gardens. You just can't judge them by their performance during the first 3-4 years after planting.

As for mildew . . . Stressed Tea Roses (and rapid growth IS stressful) are particularly prone to mildew, particularly if not amply-watered.

While they may be drought-tolerant in maturity, that is often not the case in immaturity -- so drought can translate to mildew.

I remind myself that 'Le Pactole' mildewed right through its first 3 or so years here. It stopped mildewing once it became the size of a Volkswagen Bus, and ate a few other less-pushy roses.

Also, as Kim mentioned elsewhere, it's been as hot as a $2. pistol -- even here, at the coast. I don't want to think about temperatures in your area. So -- More Stress.

I'd say this rose may need time, patience, and possibly more water.

Jeri

Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeri, this rose has been amply watered all during its life and is the same age as my other tea roses that are round and bushy. However, it does not get morning sun as early as the other roses, has longer hot afternoon sun and has a crape myrtle on one side and the house about five feet behind it. Given all that, I should be happy with its performance I suppose. I'm certainly not giving up on it, but only wondered how it did for others who have it. It would take a lot for me to rip out a tea rose that I've had for several years.

Ingrid

• melva
    11 years ago

Germaine is one of my favorite roses...it blooms a fair amount, flowers are pretty and the scent...well, tea rose fragrance eludes my nose, so I am not a good person to ask about that...

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Any updates on this rose?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine is gone and has been replaced by Belinda's Dream not too long ago because the petals were just too thin to stand up to the increased heat and drought. I could have forgiven the awkward growth, which never improved, if the flowers had been pleasant to look at. It just became too hot for it here.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Good to know!

Thank you Ingrid