Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

OGR nurseries

rosefolly
10 years ago

I thought it might be useful to gather the names of OGR nurseries that continue to serve us.

We don't often hear about Greenmantle Nursery in Garberville, California, a vendor of heirloom roses and heirloom apples, but they have been in business for a long time. Anyone I know who buys from them seems to be quite pleased.
http://www.greenmantlenursery.com/roses/

A little more widely known is High Country Roses in Denver Colorado, http://www.highcountryroses.com/. I have ordered from them myself and the roses were healthy and robust.

Just today I ran across a vendor new to me, Azalea House Flowering Shrub Farm in Voorheesville, New York, http://www.floweringshrubfarm.com/. Doesn't sound much like a rose vendor, but it is. They sell lots of lilacs, blueberries, rhododendrons, and azaleas, but also a rather impressive list of European once-blooming OGRs. Their website says that they will sell small plants by mail order and have larger ones available for pick up.

Please add your own to this list. I'm hoping we will find that while we have lost some valuable sources, many smaller treasures remain.

Rosefolly

Comments (12)

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Roses Unlimited in South Carolina has an amazing inventory! I always receive the most beautiful and healthy plants. I'm very happy with them.
    I feel the same about Antique Rose Emporium.
    I am currently waiting on an order from Linda Loe with Long Ago Roses in North Carolina. It will be my first.
    She has quite an inventory too!
    Susan

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Rose Petals Nursery in Archer, Florida. I just got a great order from Cydney. Angel Gardens Nursery in north Florida and Cool Roses I think in West Palm, Florida. They used to do custom budding on Fortuniana and still do as far as I know.

• cramoisi
    10 years ago

Burlington Rose Nursery in Visalia, California

Heirloom Roses in St. Paul, Oregon

Rogue Valley Roses in Medford, Oregon

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Great list----thanks

Florence

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a dozen so far, and I'm sure more to come. When I bought my first OGR back when I was 19, Will Tillotson's nursery was the only game in town. I was so excited to find Roses of Yesterday and Today in Watsonville, California, http://www.rosesofyesterday.com/. It is smaller now than it once was, but still in business.

And Pickering Nurseries in Ontario, Canada has just been restored to us, http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/.

We are up to 14 in our count.

Rosefolly

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Though it is not solely an OGR nursery, Chamblee Roses provides a good variety of OGR, Earth-Kind, as well as Austins.

www.chambleeroses.com/

• Alwayzbgrateful
    10 years ago

I was simply passing through as I heard many OGR do well in our climate. As I read the OP a sudden question struck me. Ive seen many (one is too many in my book) small business go out of business. I realize there are many factors that contribute to a company having to close its doors.I have my own (very small) mobile grooming business and have walked the line of closing down many a time, But what can we do to help those that are still around? I much rather spend my hard earned money @ a small or locally owned business rather then help stuff the pockets of BIG Companies.Example Horitco and J&P,Ive heard a lot of negitive about both. It seems to me that a smaller business is more willing to go the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction, excellent products,and communication.Most people buy plants at big box stores that are not meant for their climate,plant it, it dies, they take it back for a refund,believing they killed it, and "round the merry go round they go again.But as my grandma always says "when you know better you do better". What can we do as individuals,and as a collective to help those small struggling comp's stay in business?is there anything that can be done? Thanx to all and sorry for the long off topic question, This just got my wheels turning.
    -Lyna

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lyna, you make a good point. However serious rose growers already buy their roses mainly from specialty nurseries. The big box stores are simply not a high quality source. Given that much of the general public buy their only roses there, this contributes to the idea that roses are just too hard, and that unless you work really, really hard, you are doomed to fail at growing roses.

Actually I believe that even larger rose nurseries such as J&P and Hortico have struggled in recent years.

Rosefolly

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Hortico is going to lose a loyal long time customer with me before long. I made a fair sized order last fall - 5-6 of them were absolutely NOT what they were supposed to be and I am noting now that "Cressida" is looking like some sort of rootstock - thorny, totally a monsterous giant even in a pot with nary a bloom this year. They are giving me "free" roses to replace what was incorrect but I have to pay shipping. Why is that fair? I will probably pick out some roses to order this fall for my "free" roses and not order any extras. I have supported them on this forum with kind words, but no more.

I live 2 hours from Chamblees and 3 hours from Antique Rose Emporium and HIGHLY recommend both nurseries. Also, would like to add Northland Rosarium and Palatine Roses to the list.
    Judith

• rinaldo
    10 years ago

As I posted elsewhere, Palatine Roses has an excellent selection of old garden roses on multiflora and their service is superlative. I've never bought budded roses anywhere that have grow so fast or so full.

• zjw727
    10 years ago

I really REALLY love Rogue Valley Roses. The selection is incredibly broad, including species roses, lovely Gallicas, Teas, Chinas, Noisettes, Bourbons, H. Perpetuals, H. Teas, moderns, David Austin...EVERY category is represented. Even if their stock isn't quite as loaded with ultra-rarities as Vintage Gardens' was, there are still plenty of things that aren't easily obtainable. I've placed three orders with them in the last year and ALL of the plants have been incredibly healthy. I especially love the selection of early Hybrid Teas- in fact, I just ordered "Shot Silk" and "Mrs. Lovell Swisher"

I also received an order of superbly healthy plants from Roses Unlimited, in South Carolina. Fantastic customer service. I'll be ordering from them again in the Spring, with pleasure.

• paparoseman
    10 years ago

Long Ago Roses has EXCELLENT roses. Unfortunately they do not ship to the West Coast anymore but the roses I have came in last late summer looking fantastic and are growing like gangbusters in my garden now. Rose Petals Nursery also has very nice roses and I just placed another order for four more today.