Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

Need help finishing my list for next spring

boncrow66
9 years ago

After days of research, standing and staring at my garden and sleepless nights I have finally made some decisions on what roses for sure I will be planting next spring.

Ducher
Duchess de Brabant
Mrs. Dudley Cross
Charlotte
Tamora
Darcy Bussell.

However I need help decided on which one of these to choose. I want a very fragrant purple or lavender smallish to medium rose and have been contemplating these:

Rose de rescht
Hermosa
Posideon
Any advice or experience wth these? I am leaning towards RdR but still haven't made a final decision. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

RdR blooms constantly but here the foliage gets really nasty. The fragrance is good. Also it's more cerise here. No purple at all. Poseidon has no fragrance but it has never shown signs of disease AT ALL. It's scary how healthy and vigorous it is. It gets HUGE here on my grafted plant.
    Hermosa is a good size but not purple here.
    It's modern, but I'd recommend Twilight Zone. Beautiful really purple amazing fragrance great repeat and better than average disease resistance.
    Susan

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I agree, Hermosa is pink, and I don't really think of Rose de Rescht as being either purple or lavender either.

Ingrid

• shopshops
    9 years ago

Great choices Boncrow!
    I have all on your "for sure" list apart from Tamora and Charlotte.
    They have done really well for me here in Texas. . I'm ordering Poseidon from Palantine having lusted after him for two years or so. He arrives in Spring 2015. I guess we can compare notes then.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am still thinking about this but am leaning strongly towards RdR for the fragrance and even it's not the color I wanted as far as purple goes at least it will be a darker pink. Any suggestions would be welcome. Fragrance is a must and I want a shorter growing compact bush with a bold color. I'm not being picky at all lol!! Also it doesn't have to be a OGR.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Hey Boncrow,
    Ducher and DdB were new to me last year, and I lost both to the polar vortex. I replaced them this spring, and they are doing great. I think you will be happy with those. Charlotte and Tamora were new for me this spring and have done pretty well. I didn't have a spot with any afternoon shade for them, so both are in all day sun. In their unfortunate locations, their blooms have fried quickly in our heat. They may adapt and improve with maturity, but even if not, their blooms are beautiful, fragrant and repeat has been okay for first year plantsâ¦so I think I can forgive them for not lasting long when it's hot and steamy.
    RdR is the only one I grow on your âÂÂstill consideringâ list. To me, it does have a purplish tint...a very, very bright purplish pink. This year, the big spring flush for both of my RdR bushes seemed to keep going for a couple of months, and although they haven't really had what I would call a big flush since, I don't think there has been a day all summer that each hasn't had at least a few flowers. Mine were both purchased at the same time from the same nursery a couple of years ago. One is planted in front of a HT that is among my worst BS magnets. Even with fairly regular spraying, both the HT and that RdR's foliage is usually spotted, but it doesn't seem to slow down growing and blooming. The other RdR is in front of a much more BS resistant rose and rarely gets sprayed. It stays pretty clean with only a few spotty leaves at the bottom of the plant.

It's hard for me to get a decent picture of RdR due to its brightness, but these are pretty true to the color of mine:

{{gwi:309575}}

{{gwi:309576}}

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Hermosa is a pretty rose with smaller blooms.
    The extremely spicy or pepper scent deterred me.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh Pat_bama your RdR is beautiful and I'm glad to hear encouraging things about it. Is it super fragrant for you? It's going to be close to where we sit on the porch and I want to be able to enjoy its fragrance. I have to decided to order the Empress of the Garden from ARE and since it will be a free rose with order I will get RdR. Thanks for sharing your pics!

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Boncrow, concerning Tamora. Lovely rose, small, healthy, floriferous if happy but it has the distinctive "myrrh" scent, which is sort of medicinal. Some like it, some hate it and some live with it :-)

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True blue I am going to plant Tamora and hopefully love the scent but if not I will live with it lol. Someone, I can't remember, said not only was Tamora their best DA it was their best rose period, so how can I not have this rose with that kind of recommendation?!? I am really excited about my rose selections that are on my for sure list and I appreciate everyone's response. I still have a few that I am thinking about but I think I have a little time.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Boncrow,
    RdR blooms are definitely super fragrant to sniff up close. It's one of my favorite rose scents, but I'm not really sure that it wafts. I have lots of strongly scented plants in the bed where mine are planted, though...with the mixture of scents, its hard for me to tell what all is wafting...its scent may travel more than I realize. Maybe someone else can confirm if theirs has a wafting fragrance?

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Munstead Wood is a purple(ish), highly fragrant rose that does really well for me. It's a frequent bloomer that so far hasn't put out any octopus canes like austins can. Mine is about 3x3 right now, but it has only been in its current location since this spring.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

RdR is pretty and smells divine but here it is also very spot riddled and only gives me any real flush in the spring. The rest of the season I only get one or two blooms at best.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

RdR in my garden is rather more purple than pink, which is kind of funny because everything else in my garden is way pinker than it's supposed to be. It's a healthy, very bushy and attractive plant. Mine isn't a prolific bloomer, more of one of those roses that always seem to have at least a few blooms. This is just a matter of taste but I dislike significantly contrasting foliage on neighboring plants. RdR's foliage is unusual, matte and fairly dark and I found it a bit challenging to place with other roses. Fragrance is excellent.

If you're looking for options Midnight Blue is a nice, fragrant, compact, true dark purple rose. I once grew Intrigue and it might be the best fragrance I've ever known on a modern rose, but it was a weak plant and sadly I lost it. I would still recommend you check it out though. I think mine failed due to an unfortunate combination of bad conditions. Ebb Tide is another winner for fragrance, but mine stops blooming once it get hot. Might do better with some afternoon shade. Munstead Wood is a fine rose but has never shown any hint of purple for me.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Personally, I have some mauve roses that I thought I would like, but turns out they look kind of blah. I would go for a deeper pink over the mauve roses, in my garden Twilight Zone is more hot pink more often than purple

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brittle thanks for the munstead wood suggestion, I had overlooked that one and will definitely be considering it. Ratdog thanks for your input on RdR, I like the fact that you said it was a attractive plant. I think I am also going to consider Thomas Affleck, has any one grown TA and particularly in Texas?

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so I think I have narrowed it down to Rose de Rescht or Thomas Affkeck, I really don't know why I make this so hard lol. I feel like TA might be the right choice but RdR is still tugging at my heart. I really appreciate everyone's input and hopefully I can make a decision before next spring lol.