Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Souvenir de Mme Auguste Charles

Posted by bellegallica_zone9 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 12:55

Do you ever flip or click through a catalog and suddenly stumble upon a beautiful rose you'd never noticed before?

Today it's Souvenir de Madame Auguste Charles.

Another one added to the "someday" list.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Souvenir de Mme Auguste Charles

Beautiful flowers with very nice fragrance, on a plant more vigorous than Malmaison, but with all the usual foliage issues plaguing Bourbons in hotter climates. I care for a ten year old one in the Santa Clarita Valley, CA and battle very short lived foliage, mildew, and black spot with it. Not one I would have planted if the choice had been mine. Very pretty WHEN it's pretty, though and probably excellent in the proper micro climate. Kim

o

Thanks for the warning!

I was afraid of that. From the pictures, it did seem like a more vigorous SdlM, which was a black spot disaster for me.

o

You're welcome. I wish someone still listed Pillarcitos, a found rose I obtained from Vintage years ago which had excellent health and resembled Malmaison in the flower. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillarcitos

o

Is it the same as "Pilarcitos" with one "l"?

If so, Rogue Valley and Vintage both have it.

o

Good catch, one I wasn't up to so late last night. Yes, that is it. I grew it for years and it was healthy, vigorous and gorgeous. Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here