Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

What's wrong with these leaves?

eahamel
11 years ago

I found these leaves on my Blush Noisette this morning. These are the only leave that look like this, and I don't know what's wrong. If I need to treat the plant, can someone recommend something organic?

Thanks

Elizabeth

Comments (11)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Looks like old leaves?
    It's fall -- time to drop old foliage, even in Z9. If it was in my SoCal garden, I'd say, also, built-up salts ...

Jeri

• roseseek
    11 years ago

The above and heat. It's been as hot as a $2 pistol and very few roses (and other plants) here have foliage which looks decent. I would say to just keep things watered. It doesn't look like anything requiring chemical intervention. Kim

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I was worried that I may have chilli-thrips. Yes, these are older leaves, none of the new ones look bad.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Leaves and canes are like us . . .
    They start out fresh and perky, and eventually end up greyed, spotted, and worn out.

:-)

Jeri

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

They don't really have the brown streaks on the backs that I tend to see on badly leaves due to chilli thrips. I would say to just keep a lookout. If it were chilli thrips, there would be a LOT more messed up foliage very fast.

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brittie, thanks! I just found out about them here about 3 weeks ago, and at Southwest Fertilizer here in Houston, they told me they've been really bad, but I haven't seen any signs of them, and was afraid that these leaves were them. I'm going to start a new thread about how to treat them organically.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

No prob! They're definitely out and about. I added a couple pictures of the damage in my garden to my journal entry about it at HMF if you want to check that out. My SN there is the same as here.

And yeah, I've seen it at a few nurseries too! The roses at Houston Garden Centers (in Pasadena) were absolutely ravaged by Chilli Thrips. Pretty gross! I can't imagine anyone would have purchased any of those, but I haven't been back to see if they're still there or not.

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG, you just sent me out with a flashlight to look at the one rose I've gotten at Houston Garden Centers! It's fine. I've been looking for Koko Loco and found it at the one in Sugar Land. Surprised me, the one near me doesn't have anything but Knockout.

I'm not a member of HMF and don't think I can read your entries without joining.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

It doesn't cost anything to register on HMF and it remains completely private. If you wish to become a Premium Member, it costs only $24 a YEAR. Give it a try. Kim

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kim, I just registered but can't get into it yet. If I like what I find, I'll become a member.

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brittie, I went to Houston Garden Center today, the one on Loop 610, west side of town, and looked at their KO roses. Now I know what chilli-thrips damage looks like. A lot of them looked really awful, and I'm sure some were dead. They had roses on the other side of the building that looked much better. No, I sure didn't get one, I was going after a Salvia leucantha 'Santa Barbara', and it was on the same side as the sick roses.