Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat_bamaz7

Is this Louis Philippe?

pat_bamaz7
10 years ago

I got this rose from a section of Louis Philippes at the nursery. Most of the others were blooming with full, cupped globular, sweetly scented blooms that were cherry red with a bit lighter centers. This one had several blooms that were already completely blown and one bud not opened. I chose it since it was a much better looking plant than the others. Now that the bud has opened, I'm wondering if it was in with the others by mistake...maybe that's why it was bigger (I repotted it from its 1 gallon into the 3 gallon container shown in the pics below until I get it in the ground). This bloom (barely double with white eye) looks nothing like the ones on the other LPs at the nursery and isn't as fragrant. I know it's a young plant and chinas can look very different at times, so I wasn't too concerned. Then I checked HMF, and the description there says LP is armed with thorns and has glossy foliage. Mine is basically thornless with matte foliage. I don't recall if the others were thorny with glossy leaves...I think I would have noticed the difference in leaves, but maybe not. I saw a recent thread on the forum about LP, but couldn't tell much from those pics about thorns and foliage. Sorry to ask basically the same question as the other post, but what do you guys think...just an immature plant or wrong rose?

{{gwi:309848}}

{{gwi:309849}}

{{gwi:309850}}

{{gwi:309852}}

Comments (9)

• paparoseman
    10 years ago

Just looked closely at mine. The prickles it does have are few and far between. Sometimes the blooms do not have as many petals as at other times.

The prickles are fairly straight and have a narrow base.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I'll have to go out and look at the foliage, but the flower is similar to that of 'Papa Hemeray.' Though, PH seems to have fewer petals.

Check that on HMF.

From what nursery did it come?

Can you check the list of things they offer?

Jeri

(See below, 'Papa Hemeray')

• pat_bamaz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for checking yours paparoseman!

Jeri, I checked Papa Hemeray on HMF. The flowers are very similar, but Papa Hemeray looks like it has glossy foliage? From the blown blooms when I bought it and the one open now, my rose doesnâÂÂt act like itâÂÂs going to be clustered. I got mine at Petals from the Past. I checked their website, and I don't see that they grow another red China. Their website doesn't appear to be up to date...I know they grow some roses that aren't listed there. I'm trying to visualize all the roses I've seen at their nursery, but I can't remember any reds other than what the website shows⦠Louis Philippe, Dortmund, Marjorie Fair, Will Scarlet, Red Cascade, Ruth's Red climber and Eutin. Can definitely cross most of those off as potentials for this oneâ¦

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Yeah, Papa has what I'd call semi-glossy foliage. So, maybe not that, eh.

But, look -- Have you seen PFTP's on-line-catalog photo of their "Louis Philippe"?? It's a spittin' image of what you have. They also list the Climber Sombreuil as an 1850 Tea.

I think I'd ask them for the provenance of their 'Louis Philippe.'

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: PFTP

• pat_bamaz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri, Thanks so much for all your help! PFTP is only an hour and a half from me, so I normally check the website for their events, but use HMF for rose informationâ¦PFTP is a really nice nursery, but they donâÂÂt have the greatest of websitesâ¦lol. I did look at their rose listing to double check what other reds they carry, but didnâÂÂt see pictures. I do see now that they have a LP pic posted, and it does look like mine. The others that were blooming at the time I was there didnâÂÂt, but from what I can tell from online pics, LP blooms can vary widely. The fact that the ones blooming that day all looked similar to each other but different from mine and the thorny, glossy leaf description on HMF had me wondering if mine might be something else. IâÂÂll ask the origin of their LP plants next time IâÂÂm down there. PFTP propagates most of the older moderns and I believe all of the OGRs they sell from plants they grow in their gardens, but I don't know where the ones in their gardens came from originally. Again, thanks for the help (all your posts about the teas and chinas are what helped convince me I needed to add some to my gardenâ¦so far have gotten MBRC, DdB, Madame Lombard, Marie van Houtte, Spice, Ducher and LPâ¦running out of room, so I need to slow down now or get rid of some of those troublesome moderns:))

• jerijen
    10 years ago

AHHH -- There is now only one modern HT left here -- 'Gardens Of The World,' which is very very clean, lovely, and vigorous for us.

I have a couple of older HTs that I really love. One, collected in an old NoCal cemetery, is study-named "Rustler's Gold," but we think it may be 'Julien Potin.' Another is a 'Red Radiance' from a local historic site.

And I have a few of Kim Rupert's roses -- just waiting for some things to be removed, so that they can go into the ground.

Jeri

• malcolm_manners
    10 years ago

This is almost certainly not the 'Louis Philippe' grown throughout the South. As for what it is, I don't know.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Kinda purty, though. :-)

Jeri

• pat_bamaz7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it is sweet lookingâ¦just not what I thought it was going to be. Would still like to get the LP I was expecting, but I'll find a place for the cute imposter, too.