Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Paul Noel at the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden

Kippy
9 years ago

This was my first time visiting the SJHR Garden. There were so many wonderful roses it was really overwhelming but there was one that called me. I knew once I went over and looked closer it would be on my mind so I put it off for most of my walk through the roses.

It was not the bloom that called me but the way it cascaded like a waterfall. I think the ramblers are a class that speak to me to start with, but this one really stood out in how different it was displayed in the garden. The volunteers there have made wonderful rose end "boxes" to help contain/restrain/control some of the big girls. Once bloomers are not everyone'c cup of tea I think because since it is a rose, we expect blooms regularly when if we thought of it as a hedge, the green wall would be exactly what we wanted.

A hedge row of 'Paul Noel' behind lower reblooming roses would be spectacular I think.

Now to beg cuttings or a rooted plant.

Comments (12)

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the bloom

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

Looks like Cousin Itt with all the leafy canes spreading on the ground.

Melissa

• jill_perry_gw
    9 years ago

Gee, I was thinking we should give it a haircut, but maybe we should wait.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I must confess I've never seen anything quite like it.

Cousin Itt, perfect description!

Ingrid

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jill....you prune I will take care of those trimmings for you...lol

I love the way it falls and pools and thought that was on purpose

One more I loved is Francois Foucard.

• jill_perry_gw
    9 years ago

No, not on purpose. We shortened it significantly above ground level in February.
    Jill

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

I love that photo of 'Francois Foucard'. I'll have to look it up.
    Personally I've never had any problem with once-bloomers, but 'Paul Noel' is certainly spectacular. All this makes me look forward to next spring when I'll be able to see all our ramblers, that grew like crazy this year, in bloom.
    Melissa

• odinthor
    9 years ago

Yes, my 'Casimir Moullé' has the same habit (but I grow it on a fence). Very graceful, making a sort of lacy tracery against the fence, and it gives a person a calm, peaceful feeling to observe it. If I had a mile or two of fencing around a pasture or something, I'd find it interesting to collect and compare all these pretty Wichuraiana hybrid Ramblers!

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That one is so pretty too Odinthor. And another that I do not see lists with a purchase source on HMF.

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

odinthor,you have Casimir Moullè??? please tell me all about it! I am thinking of ordering it this year from Loubert; in the picture,the effect of the flowers and buds looks so starry,and according to the Loubert site, it even can occaisionally re-bloom...bart

• odinthor
    9 years ago

Yes, 'Casimir Moullé' is prominent in my garden, one reason being that it's planted in the middle of a fifty-foot fence, and its "whips" (it's hard to call those long slender things "canes") reach from one end to the other. The foliage is clean, glossy, and a cheerful grass-green, completely disease-free for me. Demonstrating why one shouldn't be too quick about things: It didn't bloom at all for the first couple of years after being planted; then it had one sole cluster of deformed blossoms the next year; the next year, it had a good number of clusters of proper flowers; and subsequently it has bloomed well. I bought it, having been attracted by its color being called "purple"--which it isn't. Under ideal circumstances (evenly cool to moderate conditions in the lead-up to bloom), they're a very attractive "imperial pink" to cerise. Unfortunately for me, it tends to have its mass bloom just when the year's first heat wave comes, so the blossoms under those conditions open too quickly and come out very pale. I don't believe I've ever detected any scent. The leaves are shed in the winter, having first turned a pleasant yellow. The thorns are tenacious and cruel. There has been absolutely no re-bloom on mine, and I've had it something like seven years now. To me, the flowers are just an extra; the pretty foliage and delicate-looking drapery of the plant on the fence more than justify its presence. Though I have to keep an eye out for its whips wandering where I don't want them, and though its thorns are merciless if they catch your skin or clothing, it's a definite keeper which I thoroughly recommend.

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

Awesome!

my 'Bubble Bath' has grown to be 5 and 1/2 feet tall vertically, and now the canes are cascading back toward the ground. The leaflets are large and dark green and droop gracefully. It is nothing as large as cousin Paul "Itt" Noel.
    -however Bubble Baths musky rose scent wafts on the air.
    -it is nearly evergreen, I've seen it bloom here in January, when usually only the China and Tea roses bloom, in a warm spell, with a few Hybrid Musk x Tea Hybrids.

I love so many things about old roses, aside from the blooms.

Lux.