Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

OK, just how do you coax a climber up a tree?

sherryocala
14 years ago

I have R Fortuniana in the ground since 3/08. I've been trying to get him to climb up into an oak tree that's limbed up pretty high - maybe to 12'. I've tied him to the trunk (first with a bungee cord LOL) and at this point would need a ladder to tie him even higher up. He's sending out side shoots that fountain out from the tree but the canes aren't stiff enough to go straight up and aren't long enough to reach the limbs. The arching canes might reach if they went straight up but they don't. So far I've been tying the canes to the tree vertically for the most part rather than wrapping them. Is this right or wrong? I have a Purezza that I want to send into the trees, too, but haven't started yet so I need some instruction. Please help.

It's cloudy & rainy here so the photos are kinda dim, and since the canes are so thin they're hard to see, but hopefully, you 'get the picture'.

{{gwi:310230}}

{{gwi:310231}}

Sherry

Comments (24)

• jerijen
    14 years ago

I see it OK. I think the problem is that your tree needs to have lower branches.
    All the trees I've seen this done with had lower branches.

Here's a good example:
    {{gwi:310233}}

This tree branches about 5 ft up.
    I think eventually, they will remove some of the lower growth, as the rose pushes further up into the tree.

Jeri

• jacqueline9CA
    14 years ago

In my experience ( I have both fortuniana and Madame Alfred Carriere growing up into trees) it will take more than one year for your rose to start putting out really long strong climbing canes - it is still a baby. I would keep doing what you are doing (encourage them to go straight up - not wrapped around the tree at this point). Eventually it will put out bigger, longer, canes that you can really get some height with. Then, just stand back. One of our MAC goes 25 feet up a tree, and I had nothing to do with that after the first 10 feet - it did it itself.

Our fortuniana does cascade down from the tree - but from 15 - 20 feet up - where it got to all by itself.

So, I think you just need some patience to wait until yours takes off.

Jackie

• trishaw
    14 years ago

Try wrapping the canes around it like a barber pole- we have used bungee cords too!

Trish

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, Jeri, I like your photo and that the rose appears to be tolerating the shade under the tree very well. I wonder what rose that is.

Jackie, how perfect your information is. I wasn't sure if fort's canes would thicken up or if he was going to stay wiry like this. I would dearly love to see photos of your MAC and Fortuniana. They must be gorgeous. We have several of the same roses which I think is pretty cool. I don't have MAC though.

Trish, the second effort at tying him I wrapped a little, not being sure if straight up was right. I think I have one more tie-up in me from a ladder. Then I'll let him do his thing.

Thanks so much, ladies. As usual you're so helpful!

Sherry

• jerijen
    14 years ago

I should have said, Sherry -- that's Mermaid in the Heritage.

Not,of course, quite as massive as 'Guadalupe Volunteer,' but I didn't use that one to illustrate because you can't see the tree!

{{gwi:310234}}

Jeri

• trishaw
    14 years ago

Good grief- There WAS a tree you mean- that is stunning!

Trish

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yikes!

Sherry

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Jeri---that picture of GV is amazing-----

We moved our Paul's Himalayan Musk a few years ago---just plonked him in the tree line and then forgot about him (we were remodeling at the time)---then a few years later lo and behold Paul just took over whatever was in his way----there are lots of low branches and the wind cooperated to wrap him up and over everything---He puts on quite a show in the spring----
    I don't really have a good picture of the lower branches that he hooked on to but he sure did surprise us--
    wish I had a better picture------.
    {{gwi:205634}}

Florence

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fkorence, you're proof that we must stay vigilant with some of these climbers and not stand in one place very long in their area. He's a beauty.

Sherry

• jerijen
    14 years ago

That Paul's is pretty impressive Florence!

We were so impressed with GV that we begged a rooted plant from Mel.
    I'm happy to say that, though still smallish here, it bloomed really well this past spring.
    Clay took cuttings, and found that it roots greedily. :-) So we will have a few little plants for the Sacramento City Cemetery Open Garden in April.

Jeri

• cemeteryrose
    14 years ago

We have about a dozen roses in the Sacramento Cemetery that have grown into trees. Most did it themselves, with their natural inclination to seek sun when growing under a canopy. Some have needed coaxing, especially if the tree doesn't have lower branches. One idea would be to prop a trellis next to the tree so you could tie the rose up it, or perhaps it would climb it on its own. Roses don't need thorns to climb - that amazing single white banksia of ours, that goes at least 50 ft high, is thornless - they are able to throw laterals over support and clamber. I know that trellises don't tend to be big enough, but what about wire grids such as hog panel or concrete reinforncing wire? You could bungee or otherwise tie the support to the tree, and tie the rose to it. Another option would be to put an arbor next to the tree, and let the rose reach for the tree, which it will do. We've done that with Lamarque, which is reaching up from its arbor into a very high-limbed oak that's next to it.

Once the rose canes are long enough, we use a pole pruner or rake to distribute the canes over the branches. I got that idea from Gertrude Jekyll in Roses for the English Garden (think that's the title) - she talks about using a forked stick to paint the roses in the trees. With Lamarque, we climb a ladder and use a long tool to move the canes around. I tried making a forked stick out of PVC - I think that would work if I glued the connectors, but my unglued tool kept falling apart. The other volunteers in the cemetery thought I'd lost my mind and refused to use it, and indeed, the rake worked just fine.

Once the rose reaches the lower branches, it will be up and away.

Sorry about not having photos for you - I'm mighty busy right now, but may snap a few shots when I drop by the cemetery later on today -
    Anita

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, you all inspired me with your answers, so this afternoon a planted a climber in a box at the foot of an oak tree. To let you know how wonderful that is, this spot was previously uncounted as a possible home for a rose!!! So my $3 RU rose went into a FREE space! Can't beat that. (The soil in the box is a good 10"-12" deep.)

{{gwi:310236}}

{{gwi:310237}}

BTW that's a south facing spot, and the branches are lower this time.

Anita, I may use your trellis idea but maybe not since I'd have to buy one. I have plenty of bungees though. :)) I'd love to see your photos when you get the time.

Sherry

P.S. I didn't mention the name of the climber because this is the Antique Roses Forum, and though my yellow rose LOOKS like a DA, it isn't. How about I whisper? Full Moon Rising. I'm so excited. His photos are gorgeous.

• trishaw
    14 years ago

What a great spot Sherry! I am not familiar with your new rose. Will have to go check it out, as I love the name!

Trish

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Climbing roses don't climb, they mound up. Nothing for each set of new canes to flop onto means slower/limited upward progress.

• le_jardin_of_roses
    14 years ago

Sherry, I love the green color of your fence. It is a nice touch to your yard.

Juliet

• anntn6b
    14 years ago

Sherry,
    Do you have a cat?
    You can only make a cat do so much. The rest it has to want to do, itself.
    Same with a climbing rose.
    It has to want to do it.
    One of the problems with fortuniana is that Fort puts out lateral that are both really strong and that are at right angles to the original cane. That doesn't make for ease of going around a pole or tree. It can be done and bungee cords can help, but you will have to watch for the times of year when the rose is vogorously putting on growth.
    I think it's easier to get wichurana hybrids to climb because they make really long canes in a year, so their climb is faster.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Trish, let's hope you're right about it being a great spot. What I really love about this rose is its reported BS resistance. That's what I hope turns out great. Coincidentally, FMR is a sport of Polka which I had admired more than a year ago. Polka claims to have fragrant foliage as well as blooms - pine, I think. I wonder if this one does.

bboy, I don't have room for mounding up, and I really don't want the effect shown in Jeri's photo above. A massive mound would not be acceptable. And so far, everything about roses has been slow. :))

Juliet, thank you for liking my fence. I really don't like the wood-stained look. I prefer matchy-matchy between house and fence. The stain color could have turned out a little darker, but I like it, too. My DH built it board by board after I stained the cedar board by board.

Ann, no, I don't own a cat, but I get you. I've noticed those right-angle laterals. At this stage would it help to clip most (some?) of them off? I've been simply bundling them upwards and waiting for the laterals to have laterals. It seems to me that that's what will eventually get up into the tree. What do I do at those times when the rose is vigorously putting on growth? Those canes in the photos that aren't lashed to the tree have grown in the last couple of months after I tied it again. I've been 'tucking' them in, hooking them here and there. Bulk is not what I want so I'm wondering if maybe next time some judicious pruning would be warranted and useful. Of course, I don't know how I'd get the pruned canes out of the bundle.

Sherry

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Anita's right. Once they reach those lower branches, they start climbing.
    And they DO climb, if they're so inclined.

We planted R. banksia lutea next to a wood fence. After sitting like a lump for a few years, it finally went up the fence. Then it made the leap from the fence to an adjacent tree (with no encouragement). It went right up the tree, and blooms out the top of it, while at the same time climbing along across the fence, in two directions.

Jeri

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeri, that's good news. I'll have to wait a few years, but at least I know it'll happen.

Sherry

• jerijen
    14 years ago

What I think is sad is when I see the banksiaes planted in a location horribly un-suited to them.

A whole row of R. banksia lutea was planted along a wrought iron fence at a shopping center near here.

They were pruned hard every January. There was, of course, little bloom. Now they're gone.

:-(
    Jeri

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hence the complaint, roses are hard to grow.

Sherry

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Sherry---I can't take any credit for Paul's Himalayan Musk---I'm ashamed to admit just how neglected this poor rose was----Very shady spot-----no water or food and he decided to be a show-off and away he went----He has given us many years of pleasure

Here is a little walk UNDER Paul---
    {{gwi:212247}}

{{gwi:206144}}

Florence

• gardennatlanta
    14 years ago

Are there certain kinds of trees that roses should NOT grow into? I have a white pine that is begging for a rose (to make me hate it less). Of course it doesn't have low branches... I also have a wonderful HUGE maple with great low branches. Would Darlow's Enigma grow there? I really want that rose but don't have anywhere to put him and I've heard he'll take the shade and still bloom.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Florence, I love your tunnel. It definitely give me ideas. :))

Gardennatlanta, I'm sure someone will have answers for you. I don't have a clue. :))

Sherry