Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

rain in ca!

jacqueline9CA
9 years ago

We got our first Fall rain last night - actually a normal early Fall storm, not from the hurricane or anything. Light, steady rain - The sun is just starting to come out now, at 11:30AM, and it is still raining a bit. Even the areas under the big trees got wet. When I got up this morning I could hear the entire garden sighing. The birds are singing - literally. I joyously walked 2 blocks in it to put some mail in the post box - enjoying that great fresh smell everything gets from the first rain. The two fawns who visit our garden with their mother looked very confused - they have never seen rain before!

This is totally "normal" for the first rain of what I hope will be a normal rainy season here - I would guess we will get a total of about 1/2 inch out of this. It is the perfect gentle type of rain we need to open the soil (which has not had any rain since last March), so it doesn't just run off.

Jackie

Comments (12)

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Here we only got a fine misty rain for a couple of hours, no actual accumulation, but it cleared the air and made the sky glorious. I am grateful and look for better things to come.

Rosefolly

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

We are close to a half inch here in Mendocino County. Still bits of showers this afternoon. I am thrilled. There is another chance of rain next week.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Sigh.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I'm happy for all of you and the good it will do, but do wish we had gotten even one drop. Some areas near the coast had tremendous rain storms with high winds, flooding, mature trees toppling over, all from the hurricane coming north, but it's dry as dust here, even though rain was predicted. Hope springs eternal and I'm still hopeful that El Nino, should it happen, will bring us some relief. Meanwhile, it's good to know that those of you who need water desperately further north have finally received some.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    9 years ago

No rain here. I so wish there had been.

It's cooler today, and the sea breeze has returned, but the sky remains relentlessly blue, and the sun painfully bright.

I would never expect rain, here, this early -- and so I am not disappointed. Only wistful.

Jeri

• fogrose
    9 years ago

We had a mist then some gentle rain this morning. It was lovely and everything smelled wonderful. I think my cat was the only one who wasn't pleased.

Diane

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Rain is truly a lovely thing. Those who have enough simply do not know what a gift it is. I ardently long for rain, and I rejoice when it comes.

But like anything else, there can be too much of a good thing. That is not likely to ever be a problem where I live, but our friends in Europe have had serious flooding in recent winters.

To each of us, let there be an elegant sufficiency of rain in the year to come, and the same in the years to follow.

Rosefolly

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

I love rain. Love, love love it. I am terribly sorry for the flooding that happened (though in these cases, I DO wonder how much of the fault lies in human folly;for example.,pouring cement on top of everything so rain water has no safe way to drain...). I hope the drought will end for one and all, and pray that in the future we will always get enough blessed rain. Water is life, maties...bart

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I'm glad y'all are finally getting some rain and I hope that Ingrid and Jeri will be getting some soon too.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Congratulations to all who have received some. I'm with Ingrid and Jeri, it would have been nice to have gotten SOME. I looked at my truck windshield and the only evidence of water is from the neighbor's overactive sprinklers. grrr..

We need it. The plants all need it. I fear when it finally comes, it is highly likely to be too much, too quickly as increasingly seems the pattern in too many places. Ironic that on the crest of a ridge, "flooding" is such a great possibility, but it is. Add erosion and the fear of street slippage, plus the "fire fodder" growth resulting from ANY rainfall and rains get rather scary. Kim

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Yes too much at one time can cause flooding and mud slides, so I pray for a slow steady rain for y'all so the ground had time to absorb it without flooding.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thank you! Actually, we'd probably be better off with that kind of snowfall, so it will melt slowly, later in the year, providing water to the rivers in controllable amounts. Most of this State simply can't handle real "water". We need it in a "savings account", snowfall in the mountains, so it's doled out as needed. Usually here in much of SoCal, it rains like mad, then the hot, dry winds blow in and dry it all up. It is a PERVERSE climate, that's for sure! Kim