I'd like to grow it in the same manner that Kim Rupert shows in this photo:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.154883

I hope it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grandmother's Hat

This post was edited by bellegallica_zone9 on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 15:40

Comments (7)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It will likely require some regular pruning if yours performs as this one has. It took one season for it to reach up into the neighbor's trees on the other side of the fence. That plant has experienced some heat issues since then due to the extremes in sun light during some weather patterns we've endured. It's a white, vinyl fence, which you wouldn't expect to get all that hot, but there has been enough reflection off it to stress the plant. Particularly when the expanding roots of the hedge behind that fence are taken into consideration. Combine the greater heat reflection with greater resource competition in the root zone and you can have some real issues. They aren't due to any fault of the rose's, they just exist in that spot. Kim

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kim. I might have to rethink it, then.

I still might give it a try in a similar position, and if it doesn't work out I can move it.

Yours does look pretty happy in the photo, though. What would you say is the distance from the center of the plant to the fence? Maybe I can give mine a bit more breathing room.

Either way I'd like to keep it at 6 feet max, so how often would I be pruning it? (I would imagine cutting lots of flowers for vases would count? :-)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It might work, depending upon any special circumstances. The enormous Kona hibiscus to the right of my plant shades it from morning sun. The fence faces directly south and the single story house provides no respite from the sun year round. It does get full sun from about noon until very late toward sunset. Water was always plentiful in the spot as the irrigation from next door flowed downhill into that upper terrace...until their photinia hedge blocked that flow and began following the water under the fence and into my yard.

I couldn't suggest how frequently you might need to prune yours to keep it at six feet. It depends upon how happy it will be and how much direct sun it receives. The more direct the sun, the shorter the plant will grow. Filtered or indirect sun will cause it to elongate, stretch, to get into the sun. Kim

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My one and a half? year old, second season in the ground, GH is about 4 feet tall and very much a nice Vase shape. Still a baby, but nothing to prune. She gets a southern exposure sun, but filtered most of the summer by a giant plum tree for the hottest part of the day.

I hope she will gain another couple of feet at least.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kippy,

Did you get your GH as a band?

From what I've read about it, I don't think you'll have to wait too long for two more feet.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Belle

Yes it was a band. And is growing nicely. I would like her to get tall enough to peek in the windows and scent the bedroom. So far Lady of Meggenich, supposed to be smaller and thus in front, is the rose that put out the cane to reach over GH and peek. Still nice scent, but kind of not as planned.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

In coastal SoCal, it can easily hit 7-8 ft., if let to grow as it wishes. In heavy blackspot pressure, it may have some problems with that disease. It doesn't mildew or rust, and will bloom like a champ, if deadheaded.

Jeri