Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Sport!!!

Posted by Jason_D_B 9a NE FL (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 15:36

The other day I went out to the garden and found that Qween of Sweeden had a very light sport. The whole cane was blooming a light yellowish orange with a touch of pink. The normal blooms are a blush to medium pink. Now the question arises what do I do with it. Its still under pattent (2004).

Photobucket
Queen of sweeden
Photobucket
Sport
Photobucket
Queen of Sweeden
Photobucket
Sport
Photobucket
Side-by-side

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Sport!!!

It would be so exciting to find a sport in my garden, so I hate to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but that might not be a true sport. My Queen of Sweden almost always puts out a pastel bloom that is closer to the color of your lighter one. I don't remember my Queen ever blooming as pink as your pinker picture.

I also have some other roses that naturally lose more and more color the hotter the summer gets--and by the end of August to early September, that is really g-d awful HOT!

Now that I've spoiled the mood (I'm sorry!), I would suggest that if you believe you have something unusual there, take a good clear pic and email it to David Austin. Ask him if he is interested. If he is, he will give you all sorts of instructions how to handle this anomalie.

Good luck--let us know if anything more develops out of this.

Kate

o

There was another thread about this posted recently. (link below)

It may nor may not be a sport, and it may or may not be stable. You should mark the cane in some way so that you can always identify it. Tie a string around it or something. If that cane and branches from it always produce the different color, then it could be a sport.

I once had a La France that produced a pure white flower, but all the later flowers on that cane were the normal pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: A sport in my garden

o

Only the original Queen of Sweden is patented. Nothing it sports to is covered by that patent. If you wish to propagate the sport, you are legally, morally and ethically free to. You may register and patent it, offering it to nurseries for sale, or directly for sale yourself without any issues as long as the rose is a stable sport and doesn't consistently revert to Queen of Sweden. If a high percentage of the plants demonstrate Queen of Sweden characteristics, making it indistinguishable from the original, you potentially could have issues with the patent holder, not to mention a whole bunch of pissed off customers who bought it thinking it would be the sport instead of the original.

The safest thing to do is mark that cane VERY well, VERY visibly, so you don't accidentally cut it off pruning. Let it develop some growth to it so you can remove pieces to try rooting or budding without killing off the sport. It hurts like mad to have only a few inches of a mutation, cut it all off to propagate and have it all fail. Kim

o

Thanks kim and Bellegallica!
I'm going to try to propagate it this evening then. Its been blooming differantly on this cane (which is a mutated basal shoot) since this spring when it grew from the base. My whole bush blooms the pink shown, but the one cane blooms the light color.
But, if what Dublinbay is true then it isnt a sport at all.
Lets hope Im not getting my self into a mess of trouble with Mr. David Austin.
-Jason

o

You're welcome Jason. But, if that cane continuously flowers a different color from the rest of the bush at the same time the other is what you should expect, then I'd say you have a sport. Emailing photos to Austin's can be done, but often if the proclivity to sport is there, he would have likely already seen it with all the thousands of plants of their varieties they've raised or had raised.

Whether he's interested in it or not doesn't mean it might not be worth anything nor that others wouldn't possibly enjoy it. Playgirl sported to several lighter colors and Sequoia wasn't interested in them, yet they continue in commerce with others today. Scentimental mutated to a solid red/pink without stripes. Week's wasn't interested, but that doesn't mean it wasn't interesting or worthwhile, just that it didn't fit in with their plans for roses to be introduced. Good luck propagating it. I hope it proves stable for you. It's irritating getting plants generated only to have them revert to the original! LOL! Been there. Kim

o

I can't wait to see if it roots as the sport! I have it rooting right now. I also hope David Austin finds it attractive enough. That would be a kicker!
-Jason

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here