Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lerosier3

Golden Celebration

lerosier3
9 years ago

This is one of the many reasons I grow and love Austin roses - Golden Celebration. I am growing this particular bush as a climber.

Comments (12)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Here in my SoCal garden, Golden Celebration is a huge arching shrub. There are few Austins I would double up on, but for us, this was one. I think we have 6 plants, all in a row, making a big, informal hedge.

It's a thirsty rose, however -- we supplement this one, over and above what other roses require, here.

Jeri

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Lerosier your pic is beautiful! And Jeri good lord girl your GC is amazing! I planted mine this past spring and I can't imagine it growing as big as yours. I am training it as climber along my porch railing and am looking forward to it filling out to look like yours. Goodness but that is pretty! So glad I planted it.

• lerosier3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I use Osmocote on mine about once a month.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos! GC grew well for me in my last Portland garden. Mine developed into a fountain of sunny blooms. I planted it in a circular bed a few feet away from a circular bed with Ispahan. The two (with a bit of sculpting) developed into pink and yellow reflections of each other--both with graceful arching habits. Don't forget to mention the fragrance. Delicious! Carol

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Mind -- in my photo -- that's 4-5 plants in a row. :-) But it DOES grow well over my head.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

There's little traffic on our Lane ..... But we've actually had people stop their cars to ask what that fragrance was.

• lerosier3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am growing it next to Gertrude Jekyll another strongly scented rose - they look good together.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Mine is growing next to Evelyn, with ample space between the two. I bet with several planted together that it does smell wonderful, it certainly would make traffic slow down for sure.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Oh my Seil that is so pretty!! Mine hasn't bloomed like that yet, still concentrating on growing but I am hoping next spring to see some blooms like yours. Unfortunately I cannot smell GC very well, it had a very faint smell to me and I am hoping that changes as it matures. The same goes for Evelyn, I can only smell her early in the morning. Oh well the beautiful blooms make up for me not being able to smell:).

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

All your Golden Celebrations are beautiful and I'm completely envious--

but I will not buy a blackspotter (unfortunately for me!).

Kate

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I don't blame you in the least, Kate.

The good news for you is that there are many many roses which rust and/or mildew here for us ... but which are "disease-free" in blackspot country.

Jeri