Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cincy_city_garden

Help Rose Friends! Is this herbicide damage? (multiple pictures)

cincy_city_garden
15 years ago

Okay, I just noticed this weird growth on my "Not Heritage, Possibly Ludlow Castle" rose. All of the growth is coming off of one major cane. The house two houses up the street from me is for sale, and the owner who flipped the house has stopped by a couple times and sprayed Weed B Gone, spot treating weeds in the lawn.

I'm hoping that it's herbicide damage and not the dreaded RRD. If it is RRD, then it would be my first case since living here for 4 years. The leaves are thicked and pebbly, and the stipules are noticeably deformed.

Help! :)

Eric

{{gwi:311727}}

{{gwi:311728}}

{{gwi:311729}}

{{gwi:311730}}

{{gwi:311731}}

{{gwi:311734}}

Comments (12)

• kandaceshirley
    15 years ago

Unfortunately it looks like RRD to me, but I'm not an expert. I'd probably cut that cane out and see if I could save the rest of the rose that way.

• cincy_city_garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to add that I cut the cane off at the base shortly after taking the pictures.

Eric

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

It's not herbicide. It looks like RRD with at least five different symptoms (and the stipules are really hideous. The stem's growth is favoring one side, growing in an exaggerated spiral. Compared to the other cane, every leaf axil has broken. The leaves on the breaks are too close, short internodal distance. You're getting a leaf mottle pattern as well.)
    And your instincts were good to remove that cane.
    Now I want you to watch the bush very closely: for bad growth where that cane might have touched the one close to it, and more likely, the very bottom of the bush. Often, if we don't get it cut off early enough, it gets into the roots and from there goes elsewhere.
    The bad thing is that one was a really active cane and may have had a lot of action in the phloem and xylem of that cane and its support system.

• cincy_city_garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Ann. Ugh, I looked at the cane further before I bagged it and it had new sprouts lower down on the cane. I checked the rest of the rose and the roses around it and didn't see any aberrant growth. I usually inspect my roses closely, I don't know how I could have let it go this long. I guess I was looking more for the big red witches broom. I'll definitely be keeping a hawk eye on it. A lot of my roses are putting on normal growth now.

Well, I guess I don't have to worry about if it will come here, since it's apparently here. Hopefully it was an isolated incident, like I said, 1st case in 4 years, so I don't think I have terribly high disease pressure.

Eric

• blackcatgirl
    15 years ago

Stupid question time: What is "RRD"?

• remontant
    15 years ago

Blackcatgirl, it's Rose Rosette Disease, a lethal disease spread by mites. I just dug out my second plant with it yesterday and am starting to wonder about some others. :-(

• blackcatgirl
    15 years ago

Thank you my friend. A quick Google of this devastating best reveals:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdiseasefs/450-620/450-620.html

Not good at all.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Blackcatgirl, read anntn6b's ebook on the subject, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Rosette Disease eBook

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Oh man, Eric, I am so sorry. I do know how you feel.

Carol

• Terry Crawford
    15 years ago

Wow; so sorry. I had to SP two myself this summer. It makes me sad when I have to SP them.
    -terry

• cincy_city_garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Carol and Terry. I think I'm going to play it safe and go ahead and dig the whole thing up. I wasn't terribly attached to the rose, and I'd like to reduce to the risk to nearby roses like The Dark Lady...which I really DO like. And, what do you know, that opens a space for a new rose :)

Eric

• ogroser
    15 years ago

Eric - It is awful to lose a recent or small rose to RRD. However, to lose a landscape size 15 to 20 yr plant is severely devastating. Our hope is that this disease will find a cure some day, but it is slow enough to persist for our lifetime otherwise. It is yet another reminder that you have to be tough to garden, but remain joyful for the beauty of that which persists through it all. Best, Nick