Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeffyrose

Is anyone in touch with Devon ??

zeffyrose
15 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone knows what happened to Devon.

I always looked forward to his poetic posts.

Sure would like to know how he is doing.

Florence

Comments (33)

• brompton
    15 years ago

Devon, bless his heart, has that very, very, very huge house and pool to maintain, so that's probably keeping him extremely busy right now. Perhaps he'll return when winter weather (such as it is in sunny CA) sets in.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I believe he had to leave the forum, apparently because of something that was posted on hot topics. I don't have any more details but I'm sure others do.

Ingrid

• sandinmyshoesoregon
    15 years ago

There was something just not quite right about Devon & his postings -- not to mention the pictures of "his" home & pool.
    What is hot topics Ingrid??

• katefisher
    15 years ago

Florence:

I do believe that Devon was banished to Disneyland. I think this happened not once but twice. Although I have to agree with Peggy that there was a question in mind about the posh home and pool I did enjoy his posts and contribution to the forum.

Not sure what to say except I know he does still read the Rose Forums. I talked to him earlier this summer and he just felt discouraged about trying to participate again. The 'moderators' here take their job rather seriously it seems and have zero tolerance for any conversation that discusses Disneyland. I would not be shocked if this post disappears in fact. Which is really quite silly.

Peggy:

Hot Topics is a current events forum here on Garden Web. Kind of a free for all but also monitored by the GW gods so there are rules I hear. Link below.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Hot Topics

• jaxondel
    15 years ago

If you discuss Disneyland you might get banished to Disneyland?

I feel hopelessly out of the loop here. Is Disneyland an ingroup code word?

• carla17
    15 years ago

This post is over. It's not nice to talk about others.
    Florence, you have mail.
    Jaxondel, Disney is when the group moderators find a need to block you from GW forums for mis conduct, this is what I gather.

Carla

• ronda_in_carolina
    15 years ago

My understanding is that when Spike was the moderator, if he banned you, then when you logged in you were redirected to the Disneyland website. I never took the trip ;o) but heard about it from others.

Devon was banned a while back for issues related to his comments on Hot Topics. Its pretty liberal over there and not a good place to post if you have conservative viewpoints and feel strongly about them.

Hope that helps,
    Ronda

• estrellabux
    15 years ago

There are a lot of very conservative people over there, too. It's a pretty rambunctious place.

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

I think there should be a vote about whether to ban people. I think Devon would still be here if that were the case.

• dr_andre_phufufnik
    15 years ago

I disagree about the voting. It can be humiliating for the 'candidate.'

I rarely read Devon's posts -- they didn't appeal to me at all.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

I often post on the rose forums and on Hot Topics. Very lively place over there, but if you want to investigate it, lurk for a month before posting--so you get a feel for the place. Unfortunately, the rose forum posters are getting a bad reputation over there since too often they come in with blazing saddles and a BIG CHIP on their shoulders. Gets them in trouble rather quickly. Among other things, personally attacking other posters and name-calling will get you kicked off there.

I've been posting over there since last January with no trouble. Unfortunately, I was out of town the week-end that both Devon and Pete got themselves banned, so I don't know exactly what happened. But its not just conservatives who get themselves in trouble. I've seen some rather liberal posters get banned also.

Seriously, get the feel of the place before you post over there. At first it seems like a free-for-all, but it is not. There are limits, though it may not appear so at times. They certainly are not shy over there--but usually I enjoy the verbal wrestling that goes on.

If you are looking more for sympathy and a supportive environment, it probably is not the place for you.

By the way, I just posted a defense of the rose forums over there. LOL.

Kate

• buford
    15 years ago

I liked Devon and Pete. This forum is better with them here.

• cemeteryrose
    15 years ago

I don't understand why there is a "hot topics" section at all in GARDENweb. Whether somebody is a Republican or Democrat (or something else altogether) matters not a bit when we're talking roses, or any other aspect of gardening.

I agree, I miss those guys. The more points of view the better. The more people posting the better.
    Anita

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

I can see how a vote could be humiliating. Maybe it's humiliating for losing presidential candidates also, but at least there is some input from the people. I guess GW can create itself anyway it likes, but I think it would serve the people better if they took a poll about policies. In person if someone messes up or is rude they often apologize and change. I know Devon apologized for somebody else's misinterpretation of what he had said but that still didn't do him any good. It is hard to picture him being totally unconcerned about how people feel unless they have been aggressive towards him first. Maybe GW could ban people from Hot Topics instead of gardening forums.
    I never saw a really offensive post from him. Most of the time he was one of the kind ones here.
    Linda

• carla17
    15 years ago

Sorry for my reaction but when I see strange names and dates on member pages and they have negative things to say, it bothers me. Personally I like Devon. What you have or have not doesn't mean a flip on the inside of a person. Mansion and pool or not. I never saw him post here to cause trouble or upset other posters.
    If you think Hot Topics was scary before, the election has it even more controversial!
    Good luck Kate. :-)

Carla

• len511
    15 years ago

I can't imagine rose posters causing problems in the hot topics forum.
    From some of the posts I've seen, I can see how a normal person might not be welcome, maybe it's a cliqueish lot. LOL!

-chipper

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

My apologies, folks. I didn't mean to start an argument between the Rose Forums and Hot Topics. In fact, I was trying to calm the waters between the two.

I like the intellectual challenge a place like Hot Topics provides, but I also know that if I say something really dumb or provocative, I'm going to get jumped on. That's just the way that place works.

What I'm trying to do is to help some posters if they want to explore Hot Topics. Lurk for awhile until you get the way it works. Don't come charging in with a defensive attitude or a chip on your shoulder. They are not going to let you browbeat them. Just bring your normal self over. I don't know why, but sometimes Rose Forum posters completely switch personalities when they are over at HT, and the HT personality is sometimes rather mean or offensive or aggressive. In fact, that is what got the HT posters wondering about what kind of people post over here.

And please, don't misunderstand the situation. HT posters cannot run off anybody. If a new poster aggressively steps over the line that I-Village/Gardenweb has drawn, I-Village/Gardenweb is the one who banishes them--same way it works over here.

Myself, I wish more posters would enjoy BOTH forums like I do, but I can understand if some posters don't like HT. Different strokes for different folks, after all. LOL

Kate

P.S. Really, I'm not trying to start a war between the two forums. I'm trying to see if we can all avoid misunderstandings.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Kate, I was looking forward to your post on Hot Topics regarding posters from the rose forums but have been unable to find it. Did I misunderstand you in some way?

I've also recently started posting at Hot Topics and hope I'm not considered one of the "bad" rose people. My intent is always to stick to the subject, not get into personalities, and address the issues to the best of my abilities. It's not for the faint of heart over there, but on the plus side I see quite a few very intelligent and thoughtful posts, people who make me feel I'm out of their league because of their superior knowledge and analytical powers. But I enjoy having my horizons expanded and regard it as a free education. I have my loyalties to certain candidates but respect others' point of view also if it's presented in an approporiate way. Unfortunaly one does have to wade through some inflammatory and biased rhetoric with no supporting facts for statements made in order to get to the good stuff. Still worthwhile in my view and in fact I've been very stimulated by many of the threads.

Ingrid

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

Ingrid,
    I'm at work now and don't have much time to post. However, I'll be leaving here within the next hour and when I get home, I'll email you the link you were looking for, if that is all right.

And don't you worry--you do great over on HT. I've admired many of your arguments and your very reasonable approach.

Get back to you soon.

Kate

• dr_andre_phufufnik
    15 years ago

I just went over to Hot Topics. Not for me at all. It reminds me of the old Usenet forums I used to inhabit... alt.peeves, rec.org.mensa and even rec.gardens.

Lots of anger in those days, spittle and uncivilized tit-for-tat swordplay. I would leave the computer angry and feeling diminished. And this crept into my real life interactions, too.

Life has enough conflict, why seek more?

• len511
    15 years ago

dr. Andre, I think you go there to get worked up and then have to come to the rose forum and relax and put life back in perspective.LOL!
    I've already been called a racist, so I suppose I am a rosarian racist with a sense of humor, or at least I think I have a sense of humor,of course I am also arrogant and recently learned I have a chip on my shoulder and definitely have a blazing saddle especially after eating Mexican food!LOL!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

len511--I assure you, I did not even remotely have you in mind when I made the above comments. However, if the saddle fits . . . . Mexican food? LOL. Should we try that one out on the HT posters?

Yes, the rose forum is a good way to come down from the over-stimulated environment over there at HT. But I confess--I enjoy the stimulation over there, though some days I say, I've had it--the whole world has gone screwy--and I go out and weed my rosebeds instead.

On the other hand, I can remember a couple of over-stimulated arguments that have gone on over here in the rose forum--some rather negative language emerged in the heat of battle.

Someone is probably going to shut us down here for being off-topic or move us over to the "conversations" side. So let me report that yelling at your non-performing rose and threatening to ban it from the spot to some obscure corner where no one will ever see it again has a very stimulating effect on the rose. My reluctant Mayflower has suddenly burst into rich luscious bloom for the first time in its three year existence in that spot.

Kate

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

What Dr. Andre said.
    The old Usenet forums taught some of us that not everyone is what they seem to be, and that a vibrant, wonderful forum can be destroyed.

• dr_andre_phufufnik
    15 years ago

There are other ways to engage people, ways that elevate one's spirit and intelligence and that of the people nearby. I've outgrown the need for e-fistfights and duels.

Ersatz bravado serves no constructive purpose...

(okay, I'll stop being so preachy now)

Here is a link that might be useful: Seek peace and beauty

• len511
    15 years ago

Kate, I am just joking, I have a wierd sense of humor for sure, but how could I resist the blazing saddles?LOL ! And sometimes it does fit. I don't really take myself serious anymore, I don't think the moderators even read my posts!

• len511
    15 years ago

Kate, I am just joking, I have a wierd sense of humor for sure, but how could I resist the blazing saddles?LOL ! And sometimes it does fit. I don't really take myself serious anymore, I don't think the moderators even read my posts!

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

Dr. Andre, that is a most beautiful link. Thank you for sharing.

Sammy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

len511--I know you were joking. I was laughing at your vivid descriptions. I guess my attempt at return humor didn't come across very clearly.

That's the problem with the written word, isn't it--can't see the big grin on the other person's face. LOL

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

len511--I know you were joking. I was laughing at your vivid descriptions. I guess my attempt at return humor didn't come across very clearly.

That's the problem with the written word, isn't it--can't see the big grin on the other person's face. LOL

Kate

• len511
    15 years ago

i didn't mean to post twice, i was on iphone and it didn't seem to have went through, tried to send a third time.lol!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

I take full credit for exposing the Rose Forum folks who go to HT and foment subversive thought. There was Pete and Devon and Tobr (Richard) and others. I have suggested to the HT folks that they ban all Rose Forum posters. Some of them suggested that we inhale too much insecticide!

If you venture to HT, be prepared. There a number of people there who know a great deal about politics and current events. They will "correct" you if you are mistaken.

• buford
    15 years ago

Too bad there is no spray for that.

• cactusjoe1
    15 years ago

Hot Topics is far too hot for me. I can't stand anything too hot - I can't take spicy foods, I prefer iced coffee, give me an icecream cake anytime and I prefer to stay north of the 49th parallel, where roses do reasonably well, thank you.