Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patriciae_gw

Natures NOG

patriciae_gw
15 years ago

Seattlesue sent me some NOG as a propagation aid. She has been hearing great things about it. I know that some of that information came from some of the regular posters here and so I am hoping you will let me in on the secret for success-oh please..

patricia

Comments (12)

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Am I just an idiot? What is NOG?

• patriciae_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I am the witless one..it is a product(Natural Organic Growth) made from a seaweed (Ascophyllum nodosum) and Humate which is seriously ancient compost..has high levels of cytokinins and all sorts of minerals. It is supposed to do amazing things for root structures and general growth and seed germination. There has been a distant buzz about rooting success on hard to root Roses. I was hoping someone here has tried it.

patricia

• len511
    15 years ago

lol, i thought it was egg nog

• jannorcal
    15 years ago

Jeri and Clay have been using this stuff recently (following Ann's posting). They have noted a dramatic difference in their propagation results.
    I just ordered some based on Jeri's recommendation. It literally arrived today.
    Hopefully I will have similar results.
    Will let you know.
    BTW, the order page did not work. Just sent an email and they sent the product with an invoice.
    I'll let Jeri confirm, but IIRC, Clay uses 2 oz per gallon of water and uses it to water the cuttings. Not sure if he wets the soil with it first prior to sticking the cuttings.
    A moot point for me at this time as my cuttings are already stuck.

Janelle

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The Bottom Line
    Â Seaweed extracts contain plant growth regulators which, like traditional rooting products, can
    stimulate root growth in cuttings and transplants
    Â Seaweed extracts have no reliable effect on plant production or resistance to disease and
    environmental stress, especially in field conditions
    Â Variations in plant materials and environmental conditions are greater determinants of plant
    health than applications of seaweed extract
    Â Seaweed extracts for landscape use represent a poor use of natural resources, especially those
    from environmentally sensitive coastal ecosystems

Here is a link that might be useful: Seaweed Extracts

• patriciae_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had expected Dr Chalker-Scotts review to be dismissive since her area is Mass agriculture and it is very difficult to judge the effects of organics in the field-so many variables- although the one area that she mentioned positive results was in propagation. This particular product comes from the research of the former head of the Horticulture dept of Clemson Univ. That makes me think there is more in it than an attempt to make money. Compared to other rooting formulas that I have used this one is not expensive so why not give it a try?

patricia

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Yes. We have been using Nature's NOG, and yes, Clay reduces the concentrate at
    about 2 oz to a G of water.
    It's not cheap (at $65./1-G bottle) but you dilute it enough that I think people
    could easily share a bottle.

As Janelle says, we have been using it for a few months, and we feel strongly
    that it is helpful -- at least, we feel it has been helpful to US, used in combination
    with willow water and other things.

The URL below will allow you to download a pdf file with propagation info.
    It includes a little info on Nature's NOG, and a discussion of willow water,
    et al.
    This is a rather large file, and I would not advise trying it, unless you
    have a pretty fast connection.

DISCLAIMER: Other methods may work better for you.
    If they do, continue what you are doing.
    If it works, don't fix it.

For more detailed information on Nature's NOG, GOOGLE Nature's NOG.
    As Jannelle notes, their order page does not function.
    But if you order from them, via the provided email address, they will send
    the stuff to you, with an invoice. I suspect that will work until
    someone stiffs them.

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation PDF

• carla17
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm still using Perma Till to avoid nasty vole damage.
    Len, you are funny.

Carla

• patriciae_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Jeri- I am on Dial up so will forgo the file but Sue sent me the emails between the two of you and it sounds like useful stuff. I am going to do a trial. I have a mister that recycles and I think that could be interesting-to put it in the water-but also try it with regular rooting hormones and without etc-this is going to take a while as fall is not ideal for all roses. I will report back as I learn anything.

patricia

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

>I had expected Dr Chalker-Scotts review to be dismissive since her area is Mass agricultureIt is? Most of what I read from her seems to be directed at home gardening and landscaping.

• jerijen
    15 years ago

this is going to take a while as fall is not ideal for all roses

*** That's very true!

Jeri