Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosette DeLizy

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 18:06

Well, there are rewards for finally getting into the garden for only about the third time this summer (long story)...

My DH and I spent about 2 hours in one area, just cutting back flowering plants that had gone to seed, weeding, etc. It was a jungle. I cut off some huge hollyhock branches that were covered with seed pods. Inside of the hollyhock mess, to my delight, was Rosette DeLizy, blooming away. Before I cut the 10 ft tall finished hollyhock stalks you could hardly see her. She got NO care all summer, except for some automatic watering. Happy and healthy none-the-less. I LOVE tea roses!

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosette DeLizy

Jackie, how many roses do you have? I'm constantly impressed at its extent.

Rosefolly

o

Not that many really. I have not counted them lately (as you know, they multiply when you are not looking), but I would estimate somewhere around 150. However, they lurk all over the garden tangled with other plants, and in pots on the patio, and out by the street, and in the wild places growing up trees & buildings, so I only notice a few at a time. Roses are sneaky that way! I always chuckle when I see gardens laid out with nothing but roses in formal beds, all perfect, or in rows like they are being farmed - my roses are not that domesticated!

Jackie

o

Jackie, the color of your Rosette Delizy is delicious! Mine in the summer is a much less interesting buff color with a bit of darker edging. I wonder if yours is so colorful because it was being protected from the sun by the hollyhocks.

Ingrid

o

That lady doesn't seem to like really hot temps. Leastways, she has her best color in cooler temperatures.

Another of those wonderful Nabonnand roses ...

Jeri

o

I don't know if it was the hollyhocks or the cooler temps we have been having for two weeks, or that the bush is now mature. My RDL is only about 3 years old, but it has always had blooms of that color. However, this is the first time there have been so many of them, and they are now larger than before. I got it from Vintage.

Jackie

o

I think I need one, esp if it does better in cooler temperatures. :) Thanks for that great picture, Jackie.

o

That's a great looking RdL! It looks much better than mine ever has, and it's about 12 years old. Right now, with the heat, the blooms are about 1-1/2" across and very tight, and don't look good at all (that's about what I expect from most roses this time of year). And it's a thrip magnet, the only one I have!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here