Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

When there's a disconnect

anntn6b
9 years ago

I have lots of names of gardeners that run through my head. Some for the colors they are associated with, some for the gardens, and some because of their time periods. Often I don't have a photo to go with the name, more likely I have images stored of their gardens.

Vita Sackville-West is one such gardener. A quick look at wiki shows a typical view of Sissinghurst. This article from the Telegraph tells more, it tells that she WAS a gardener, not just a director of hard working minions.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9346537/Vita-Sackville-West-her-gardening-legacy.html

What brings me to this is a photo in a current exhibit in England and the photo is, as you might guess, even on a Friday, of Vita Sackville-West, looking as if she's about to go gardening.

From fifty years ago, I draw your attention to the spats she was wearing. (Cute dog by her side.) I think I'll stick to my (formerly) tennis shoes, but I do like her style.

Here is a link that might be useful: About halfway down the pictures

Comments (21)

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

That was a nice picture, thanks!

• harborrose_pnw
    9 years ago

Do you think a minion laced up those boots? Gean

• catsrose
    9 years ago

Walking shoes, to keep the thistles and seeds out of your socks.

• buford
    9 years ago

Anyone else keep thinking of Sackville-Bagginses?

• subk3
    9 years ago

I recognize the boots. They are called "Newmarket Boots" and they are riding boots. The heavy linen canvas uppers were supposed to keep you cooler in the summer as oppose to leather. A quick google search and Vita was apparently an avid horsewoman. So, probably not dressed for the garden as so much for a hack.

As far as lacing them they would not be laced up each time you put them on. The bottom set of laces (over the instep) will unlace to get your foot in and out but the top probably are a way to get a good fit over what ever type of breeches you generally wore and then would stay that way and you would pull the boot on and off just like you would a leather boot.

Here's a link to where you could get a custom pair--but without the laces going to the top. I haven't seen a modern pair with lacing all the way to the top, but wow I love them!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:312701}}

• anntn6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And there I thought we had the "Queen of Roses" giving us the antithesis of gardening barefoot, in hole-y jeans in a much worn GardenWeb tshirt.

• subk3
    9 years ago

There are GardenWeb T-shirts?!

If it makes you feel any better I am 100% positive you would have caught her gardening in her riding boots on occasion. I start my day with the horses wearing riding boots (but ones not nearly as smashing looking) and often don't make it in to change before I get sidetracked by something in the garden!

I for one have had a great hour or so following links and learning about fascinating people and places. Thanks for the post!

• organic_tosca
    9 years ago

Oh, Buford! Too good! But, you know, a true Sackville-Baggins would have to be carrying an umbrella.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I like the cigarette in her hand and am choosing to picture her pulling weeds with it hanging out of the side of her mouth lol. I love the boots too! I would wear them to do everything!

• cath41
    9 years ago

Is that pruning shears in her left boot? And what is with the lacing on her pants just above the boots?

Cath

• subk3
    9 years ago

Since you asked...the laces on her pants are what pull the breeches tight for a snug fit on the leg so she can get them into the boots which are very form fitting. Today we have 4 way stretch polyester, elastic and/or velcro at the bottom of our breeches, not so much in 20s or 30s. So laces and sometimes buttons were used.

Who ever said something about minions lacing her boots up? She could probably get into them by herself, but most likely she needed help to pull them off!!

Could be pruning shears in the boots. Foxhunters typically carry wire cutters so that's a possibilty too.

I think those boots are delicious and I'd wear them just about anywhere myself!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage riding breeches w/ laces

This post was edited by subk3 on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 13:42

• cath41
    9 years ago

Thank you Subk for the interesting information. On close inspection, the tool in her boot does look more like a wire cutter. That dog with her looks like a true companion. I mean that they have a real bond.

Cath

• subk3
    9 years ago

I going to change my mind and say that she IS dressed for gardening!!

Looking back on some fashion history, by the 1920s women had started wearing jodhpurs or breeches for horseback riding astride instead of the long dresses used for sidesaddle. (The difference is jods go to the ankle worn with a short boot, breeches are shorter and worn inside a tall boot--but lots of fashion history doesn't really make the distinction.)

Apparently in the 30s and into the 40s the "modern, active woman" transitioned jodhpurs/breeches and boots that began as equestrian wear to be appropriate for ANY outdoor active wear. So gardening, hiking and flying a la Amelia Earhart. They were very much associated with the "modern women" of which Vita seems to have been!

Everything still goes on the boots and the pants. I'm sure they work the same with the laces and all, and I'm sure those are lovely custom Newmarket boots that were handmade by a boot maker who used the same patterns and styles as he used for riding boots.

Thanks again Ann for a post that sent me on a fun internet tour!! Next time I end up in the garden still in my breeches and boots from the barn I'll pretend I'm chanelling the modern women of the 30s instead of just being to lazy too go in a change my clothes!!

This post was edited by subk3 on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 15:27

• harborrose_pnw
    9 years ago

Another vote for gardening. Interesting link, Ann, thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: where have I seen these boots?

• cath41
    9 years ago

Marvelous pictures!

Cath

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

I enjoyed all the photos.

• rosecavalier
    9 years ago

Vita Sackville West...from what I know...designed and planted the Sissinghurst Castle gardens. I was fortunate to visit them in 2006 and it was a late cool spring...not many roses blooming but the azaleas were unmatched in beauty...highly recommend visiting this garden at this time. It was the first time I had seen the garden design concept of "rooms"...brick walls enclosing a multitude of rose plantings etc...very clever.

All Passion Spent..a novel by Vita Sackville West...an interesting read...perhaps a little insight into her wearing breeches...she was her own woman.

• subk3
    9 years ago

I just ran into to this painting by Sir William Nicholson of Miss Jekyll's Gardening Boots. I thought y'all would enjoy the contrast!

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Jekyll's Gardening Boots

• kater17
    9 years ago

And to think I go out to my garden in my pajamas sometimes! Bet she never did that!

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

Love those boots!

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Excellent thread!