Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

growing other roses with crimsons

What roses look good with Barcelona? or Crimson Glory? or Cramoisi Superieur?
I've heard apricot colors are nice with them, but I'm just not getting that and I don't want to wait until bloom to plant them...
Will the different shades of crimson combine nicely? Not the red warm shades but the cooler bluer shades? I guess that's why apricot would look nice with them...
I went nuts with blue cranesbills this summer...
Susan

Comments (34)

• porkpal zone 9 Tx
    10 years ago

I am not very brave with colors. I tend to plant soft pinks or whites next to the dark reds.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Purple shades look lovely with those dark reds. Whites are lovely, too. NOT orange! Cream is good. Even a soft yellow can be attractive.

What I DO NOT like is a warm-toned modern red next to one of the older, blue-toned dark reds.

Jeri

Here are 'Sombreuil, Cl.' with 'Prospero'

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

If in doubt, pick white, but I think any pale color in a rose could work. If you have any in the lavender color range, that could be pretty. And I'm thinking something like 'Jude the Obscure' would work as well.

I just grouped my roses into "light" (white, pale pink, soft yellow shades) or "medium" (medium-pink, peach-pink) or "dark" (blue-toned reds, purples) and ignored actual color (keep in mind that the closest to orange I have is 'Golden Celebration', 'Golden Buddha', 'Tamora', 'Perle d'Or' and 'Lady Hillingdon', all of which I classed as "light", and I have nothing on the orange end of red). When I placed them out, I put "light" next to "dark" or "medium" so as to let them set each other off.

:-)

~Christopher

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I like something the color of Amber Queen with a dark red. Some reds and pinks look good together. One bed is alternating white and red. I've mostly grouped my reds together.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I like Well-Being across the path from my William Shakespeare 2000. The contrast ads some zip to the dark moody tones of WS.
    {{gwi:312793}}

In fact, I like any of the golden yellow shades with the bluish reds--but the lighter yellow of HT Berolina looks nice mixed in with my reds also. The advantage of yellows/golden tones is that they brighten up the garden--pleasantly lively combination.

On the other hand, white, pink, and red is an absolutely classic look--love it also.

I would not go very apricot--though many golden yellows will have a touch of apricot. But keep it light if you go that direction.

Likewise, I'd go for the lighter pinks with red. A strong pink like Earth Song would be too much, I think.

I'd probably also avoid the blue/lavender/purple types--not enough contrast to be effective, in my opinion. Might look a bit depressing, in fact.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GORGEOUS photos and great suggestions. Would Munstead Wood look pretty with Barcelona? Sombreuil is right behind Barcelona. I was thinking Golden Celebration would be nice. I have Etoile de Lyon, Buff Beauty, Crepuscule...
    I'm trying to plan but I think I should overwinter in pots and wait for bloom before permanent home.
    Susan

• zjw727
    10 years ago

I think Sombreuil and Barcelona would be lovely, but in my opinion anything too yellow will look like McDonald's colors. Gag. I agree with Jeri about the mixing of red tones.

I have Lady Hillingdon and Oklahoma in pots, behind a clump of Cranesbill Rozanne.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Golden Celebration, Etoile de Lyon, Buff Beauty, Crepuscule--any of those would probably look fine with a bluish red--although I think Golden Celebration would look better than the others. The others, however, have lots of ivory and buff shades in them, so they could work also. It all depends on what look you are going for--there is no one correct combination.

Now that I think of it, however, my Buff Beauty can get quite a bit of apricot in the centers at times. I personally would not like that as well with bluish red. But like I said it also has lots of buff color, so it might be workable.

By the way, golden shades with bluish red do not even remotely look like MacDonalds--when they are roses. Looks sharp and dramatic and brings out the deep velvety color of the dark reds. However, some people prefer soft, soothing pastels. Each to his/her own, I say.

I guess Munstead Wood would look all right with Barcelona, but I don't know why you would want to blend them together, thereby detracting from their unique dark reds. If you mean a Barcelona and a Munstead Wood on either side of something like Golden Celebration (or maybe Etoile de Lyon in the middle), I could see that.

However, I think you are totally overlooking size. Buff Beauty and Golden Celebration will get large and sprawly (Buff Beauty especially--like 7 x 7) whereas Munstead Wood will probably stay a petite 3 x 3. Don't know about the sizes of the others, but climbers like Buff Beauty and Crepuscule have a very different look than some of the other roses you have listed above.

Kate

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again. All good food for thought! Austin's get big here Kate! I'm just going to wait for bloom to make my choices.
    Susan

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

I'm not sure about other roses with red roses, but some garden writers think that generally speaking reddish and/or greeny-yellowish foliage looks well as a background or foreground for brilliant red. See attached dahlia pics.

Also I recall having seen a beautiful rose garden at Farmingdale L.I., in which large beds of conventional dull pink roses had brilliant Red Cascade mini-roses planted at the ends. The very saturated accent color was very effective in clarifying the sometimes rather dull main borders.

Here is a link that might be useful: These are red dahlias but principle's the same

Original Author
    10 years ago

Monarda the link didn't show a photo. Thanks!
    Susan

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

Try the attached (one can use google translation). I gather the gist of it is that some people consider red too glaring to admit to the garden (this is Denmark with its gentle northern light).

Also I think maybe the red roses I remember from Farmingdale might not have been red cascade, because that is so rampant, but a similar small-flowered landscape bush type. I love red cascade, though. I'm a bit surprised one doesn't see it more often.

Here is a link that might be useful: red is raw

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Susan, I have Barcelona, Oklahoma, Munstead Wood, Tradescant - not next to each other, but I don't think any of these would clash if they were. Not sure about Cramoisi and Louis Philippe. And even though they are not crimson, I don't think my Archduke Charles or Maggie would clash with the first four mentioned. I tend to plant lighter shades next to darker shades for contrast like others have said. Duchesse de Brabant is next to Barcelona, Sharifa Asma is next to Tradescant, Ducher is next to Maggie, and Oklahoma and Munstead Wood are flanked on each side by hollies, viburnum, canna Black Velvet and Lamb's Ear (grown for the contrasting color and texture of the foliage). My two Archduke Charles (planted as one) are behind Souvenir de la Malmaison - these remind me of Jack Sprat and his wife because AC is tall and upright and she is wider than she is tall.

Where I really made a mistake this year is planting red lycoris close to my crimson roses. Ugh! The lycoris is a light warm red. Now the Munstead Wood looks gorgeous with the cream colored lycoris. Great contrasting color and texture. I wish I'd take the time to get the pics organized and learn to post them so you could see how gorgeous. It's on my to do list. Lou

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I have an entire large bed devoted to roses with cool shades of red to pink and lavender, backed by two lavender crape myrtles. I can't even remember what made me do this, but it seems to work, especially since not all the roses bloom at the same time and the plants are all well-clothed with leaves. Here's the list:

Duchess of Albany (small and young, recently replanted here)
    Heirloom (still a band with blooms removed)
    Pretty Jessica
    Sophy's Rose (two plants)
    Burbank
    Mr. Bluebird
    Bishop's Castle
    Souvenir de Germain de St. Pierre (a tea rose)
    Marjorie Palmer
    Madame Dore
    Baptiste LaFaye
    Carefree Wonder
    Angel Face (will be joining this group when it arrives in October)

Two upright junipers flank each of the two crape myrtles in the back and there are remontant irises of different colors and sea lavender scattered throughout. Due to the drought this area, along with the rest of the garden, is only a shadow of what it could be and has been in the past.

Ingrid

Original Author
    10 years ago

Monarda, that photo is gorgeous! I have some of the same heuchera! I will use that as a model for planting. Just really pretty. That green is such a nice contrast!
    Lou, get those photos together. Sounds great! I have most of the roses you mention (they are still in pots). Would love to see it come together.
    Ingrid, thank you for sharing your combinations. I love bearded iris and have quite a few. Only a couple of remontant but they have just bloomed and are a really pretty purple with soft yellow. Do you know the names of your iris or where I might go to find remontant iris?
    Susan

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

Poorbutroserich (love the name), I agree Claus Dalby's photos, "glamour" shots in the true sense of the word, are to die for. Can't stay away from his blog.

Ingrid's post reminds me also of how beautiful the crimson reds look surrounded by the lavender and lilac pinks. My heart went pitter patter one year at the Union Square greenmarket when I saw a stall with crimson Mirandy surrounded by lots of Angel Face and the miniature moss rose Heidi (a thorny devil but really cute). I have Mirandy now, as a result, though it is not really appropriate for my postage stamp sized garden.

These roses are considered to have some flaws, but oh, the color and scent. One could substitute other newer (or older) and healthier, or less thorny ones for similar effects. In any case, like the other red-pink combo that pleased me, in these cases the more intense color featured as an accent -- or focal point.

At this point I tend to think no colors really clash (famous last words). It is a matter of proportion -- and making things look deliberate. And personal preference.

• User
    10 years ago

well yep, Monarda, I totally agree and do, in fact, very much enjoy planting oranges next to crimsons (and if a flash of lime (mollucella, langsdorfii nicotiana), along with David Howard and Arabian Night Dahlias is included, I am in technicolour heaven (and might even be tempted to add in a vivid psilostemon geranium) - never been a one for subtlety and harmonious mixing though.......and an english summer needs all the help it can get to overcome that crepuscular greyish light which frequently hangs over us.
    Jeri - absolutely, warm reds next to crimson and claret - grim....but pop in a few geum chiloense and all is forgiven. Green...and lots of it, is the great intermediary.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree with you completely on the crimson reds with lavender and lilac pink. In pots I have Stormy Weather (modern climber blooms resemble gallica) with Blueberry Hill with is a lilac pink with a bit of a darker pale stripe. It's really pretty. Nur Mahal would be good with those and I think Verdun will look good with it too...
    I will have to check out Mirandy and Heidi.
    I like my name too...pretty much me! Do you grow monarda? I had some crimson this year that was pretty. Looking for lavender monarda.
    Susan

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Susan, alas I've lost the paper with the names of the irises, but it really hardly matters because you'll find your own favorites. If you look under iris nurseries I'm sure you'll find several on-line sources, which is how I ordered mine. They all have pictures of the irises and give the height. I've had more luck with the taller ones; the shorter ones seem to disappear or don't bloom. If I had to do it over again I would stick to the blues and purples, since my yellows can be a bit much with the softer-colored roses.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Here is Crimson Glory growing with Sombreuil and Jackmanni clematis.

Jackie

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

Here is a great photo of crimson Darcey Bussell with the brilliant orange annual, Emilia javanica, 'Irish Poet.'

Also, the Facebook page "Celebration of Old Roses" has many inspiring pictures, including combinations with crimson and what I think may be scarlet Rosa Moyesii "geranium" and its ferny leaves (along with some globular pink and apricot roses). I don't think you have to belong to facebook to see this page.

A key, as Campanula points out, is the background foliage -- "green and lots of it". Is the important thing. You need a bright ferny green or chartreuse to make the dark reds pop. (Gray foliage can do the same, and looks especially good with delicate pinks and deep purples, as many garden writers have pointed out). With dark reds, green variegated with white is also good. I like the foliage of Plectranthus, which, being a tender annual, is more controllable in the garden than pineapple mint, though that looks great in bouquets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Darcey Bussell rose and Emilia Irish Poet

Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful Jackie! Quite an inspiration! Does MAC grow all on her own? Any roses or other plants growing near her?
    Monarda I never would've chosen that combination but it is so pretty. The orange is so delicate.
    Gee, it's like the more I know the more I realize I don't know.
    Thanks for the tips on the foliage too!
    Susan

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Susan - "does MAC grow all on her own? Any roses or other plants growing near her?"

Well, most of my MACs grow up trees in my totally overgrown out of control garden, so they are never alone. Here's a pic of one growing up among plum trees, a huge oak tree, a pomegranite bush, etc. etc. The small white dots in the background are all MAC blooms. The yellow rose is Peace.

Jackie

Original Author
    10 years ago

Amazing! I really love your totally overgrown out of control garden! I hope mine will mature and blossom into "mostly overgrown" anyway.
    Do you have a shot of the base where they are blooming?
    Monarda, that blog SmÃÂliadÃÂþÃÂ, is amazing. What a photographer and gardener!
    Sure inspired me to grow grasses. Do you grow grasses with your roses?
    Susan

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

I, too, love Jacqueline's exuberant garden.

I don't think my garden is big enough to accommodate most grasses, and anyway most would be too vigorous to plant near roses, probably. (I admire anyone who can tell grasses apart, though, especially the wild ones.) I do grow the Japanese golden grass (Hakonechloa macra 'AureolaâÂÂ) in front of Rose de Rescht and also a miniature golden carex. One year I had a lot of self-seeded dull pink bleeding heart on that side of the garden and some very saturated-dark-red pansies (with a touch of brick red). I thought it turned out very well. Except that the bleeding hearts often finish up before the roses get going.

I am now trying to re-do that bed. The grass, which took ages flourish, and even died and had to be replaced, now is too big and needs to be divided. I don't think it has flowered for me. But I saw some flowering in a container in Manhattan and it looked enchanting. I am going to try the Emilia Irish poet there, too.

My garden faces north east and shaded by buildings, especially when the sun is low in fall and winter. In summer the hot morning sun blasts the mini-hostas and other shade-loving things I've tried, though. My miniscule front garden has similar issues. It's too sunny when it's sunny and too shady a few hours later when it's shady. Our urban weather tends to the extreme.

As far as colors clashing. I was brought up to think "blue with green should never be seen", "orange clashes with pink" and so on. But it's a funny thing about how tastes in colors as in other things can change 180 degrees.

I knew someone who worked for a well-known Institute of Taste and Smell, who said they were asked to do research to find a scent that manufacturers could use to put on toilet paper to make it more attractive. The trouble was that whatever they used, after three months people stopped liking it and started hating it. (For toilet paper, give me scentless, thanks.)

With children and breakfast cereal it was the same thing. After three months, they got tired of the new shape or flavor, or name of cereal, whatever it was that the cereal companies were marketing. So we tend to get tired of whatever we liked sooner or later, but then, after a due interval, we may come back to it. So far, however, I haven't gotten tired of Rose de Rescht!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Monarda, I have ordered some Portlands for the spring. I have accepted that I need to focus on space (or lack of it) in my garden.
    Do you have an account on HMF with your garden?
    Susan

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Jackie, that pic of the blue clematis with white roses and red roses is pure eye candy. Gorgeous! Lou

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

I'm starting to seriously wonder why I thought putting 'Golden Buddha' between 'The Prince' and 'Prospero' would be a good idea, but I don't want to start digging things out this late in the season. When 'Golden Buddha' first started blooming, the flowers were more like 'Golden Celebration' but a tad more apricot. Now there's a new wave of buds forming, and they're more like straight-up apricot (the color of actual apricots, verging a bit more to orange than I'd prefer) with touches of yellow and pink. And for the first time, 'Prospero' and 'The Prince' are also forming buds in unison with 'Golden Buddha', and I keep scratching my head when I look at them.

I remind myself that 'Golden Buddha' fades to a nice medium yellow-apricot after opening. I also remind myself that there's space between all the roses for companion perennials, and I'm thinking that throwing purple and white things between them will diminish the clash, but I'm also starting to think about what to switch. I need something that stays small there, being as that row is in front of the back Gallica bed.

Perhaps I'll put 'Mme Dore' between 'The Prince' and 'Prospero' instead, and stick 'Golden Buddha' between two whites -- 'Blanc de Vibert' and 'Botzaris' -- which is currently occupied by NOT 'Sweet Chariot' (and what just may turn out to be some mystery rambler, judging by its growth now). Then in Spring, when a replacement 'Sweet Chariot' arrives, it can go where 'Mme Dore' currently is, which is on the other side of 'Botzaris'.

Another possibility is that 'The Prince' and 'Prospero' themselves might have to be moved. Since taking down most of the Callery pear tree in the yard, these two are getting hit with full-sun pretty much from 10am until 7pm, and their flowers might get fried. But that, too, may change as the tree starts leafing out again in Spring.

See, this is why I can't draw out plans ahead of time -- there will always be variables which I don't realize until I start doing it. By now, I'm just trying to find spots for the last seven roses destined for the ground (not counting the thirteen destined to remain pot-pets). Luckily, none of those are crimson. Most of my crimsons and dark-reds are found among my HT pot-pet collection

~Christopher

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

'Golden Buddha' happily faded a little as the buds opened...

{{gwi:260103}}

...but I'm still scratching my head about whether or not to keep it between 'Prospero' (seen here to the right of 'Golden Buddha') and 'The Prince' (not seen in the pic, but to the left of 'Golden Buddha' and about the same distance apart). Maybe planting something silver-leafed in-between next year will soften the contrast.

{{gwi:260104}}

Oh, and notice that spotless foliage on 'Golden Buddha'? It wasn't sprayed with any fungicide, and I have yet to see a speck of blackspot on it. Unfortunately, I can't say that about virtually any other rose. Some were hit hard, went naked, and re-foliated. Most of the others got a few spotty leaves. But 'Golden Buddha' had nothing, save for an occasional mildewy leaf or two. Thanks again, Paul Barden!

~Christopher

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I can relate to agonizing over the colors, thinking you have a nice blend and then realizing.....ooops.

Maybe you will be lucky like me, in the front yard the two standards that are a screaming orange red tend to bloom opposite the two Elle's in their pink-peach-yellow, thank goodness!

I had the lower garden fence line pretty well planned out, just a small unplanned area. Then I went and picked up a pair of Pomegranates and decided to move the other one since it was not growing very fast like I had expected. Suddenly I went from whites-soft pinks-soft yellows to those pomes with their reds and orange red flowers. But, the pomes are going to stay and I will just have to learn to love that clash as it happens....

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I think your Golden Buddha combination looks ok--like you noted, they aren't really that close together, and a silver or white flower inbetween would look fine. Maybe add a white on one side and a purple on the other side--if you want something more colorful. Silver inserts would calm down the color scheme if you are going more for the subdued effect.

Kate

Original Author
    10 years ago

I really love the blue/grey/green foliage of some of the dianthus. Big clumps of them really do break up color chunks. Also, bearded iris foliage is really pretty and they do well in clumps too. There are lots of nepeta with greyish foliage that not only clump but cover bare knees. The roses just seem to grow out of them...
    I am glad to know Golden Buddha is doing well.
    One thing I've learned is that roses can always be moved...
    I'm keeping as much as I can in pots until I can observe spring/fall flush. I have some pretty good ideas about what I want to go where but I'd rather observe the pots then move the roses.
    It's always changing in my garden.
    Susan

• cath41
    10 years ago

You could follow the ideas in the book, Color Echoes by Pamela Harper, which is to use companion plants that include both colors. An example might be a deep red Coreopsis with a golden yellow center. This helps to relate the colors.

Cath

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Hi,

Christopher mentioned pairing your reds with white. I agree and think that a white with a soft pink edging (just to add a little color) could look nice. For example, a Mme. Joseph Schwartz, with pink or lavender under plantings could look nice paired with your reds.

I think the color combination depends upon if you to create a look of calm or a garden that looks more lively.

Dublinbay made some great suggestions if you want a more lively look, which can be very nice too. I have underplanted groups of red roses with lambs ears and plants with gray/green foliage.

Lynn

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida