Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnabonnand

My Top 1/2 Dozen Thornless Roses

gnabonnand
17 years ago

Here's the thornless varieties that are currently performing the best for me in my garden. I've been growing thornless and nearly thornless roses for quite a few years now, and thought I'd share the info in case anyone else likes thornless.

Pink Gruss an Aachen (the one from Chamblees)

Valentine

The Jefferson Rose

Gilbert Nabonnand

Mrs. Dudley Cross

Reine des Violettes

Randy

Comments (55)

• alicia7b
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ARE's swamp rose
    Renae

• georgia_rose
    17 years ago

Carolyn Dean is one I've fallen in love with this year, beautiful drooping foliage and simple pink/yellow blend flowers from pretty coral buds.

Lisa

• altorama Ray
    17 years ago

randy, i am sure i misspelled it-
    see below
    alida

Here is a link that might be useful: hmf

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Alida, that is a great looking rose. I had never heard of it before. Thanks for posting the link.

Lisa, I will check out Carolyn Dean. Another one I'm not familiar with.

Renae, I really like the swamp rose from ARE. I saw one in Bartonville, which is near here. Very unique rose.

Randy

• luanne
    17 years ago

I finally got one, r. palustris at Ashdowns, ferney foliage reminds me of a bamboo but with silky pink singles that looked like translucent disks on the one at San Jose Heritage rose garden. It was love, last year and I've snagged two for a little foliage variation, no scent. I think of Sutter's Gold, Lemon Spice, and Irene as thornless because the prickles are so far apart I never hurt myself but in reality they have some.I wouldn't give up my thornies though, so many of them smell so good whereas Reine des Violettes is the only major smelly (I have her) is that not so? Wonder if there is a connection.
    la

Here is a link that might be useful: R. palustris at Ashdown

• bluesibe
    17 years ago

Randy, your roses love you. I think even my thornless ones have a way of scratching me.
    Carol

• altorama Ray
    17 years ago

hey randy, your roses are so beautiful, and i know
    you dont *mean* to enable, but has anyone here
    enabled you yet?
    alida

• homenovice
    17 years ago

What a terrific list! I had been admiring photos of The Jefferson Rose....

Anne

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luanne, I'm so glad you got a r. palustris. I look forward to seeing pics of it growing happily in your garden. Regarding thornless roses that are fragrant, my nose likes Reine des Violettes, Basye's Blueberry, Marie Daly (Pavie), & Gruss an Aachen (pink sport too).

Carol, I have enough trouble ducking from my wife/daughter's cat's claws. Once I get by that evil cat, the roses are a piece of cake.

Oh, yeh, Alida, I've had the crud enabled out of me here. To name a few:
    Francis Dubreuil: Luanne
    SdlM: Kaye
    Reine des Violettes: Hamp
    Gilbert Nabonnand: Brian
    Adam: Rozanna Rosannadanna
    Heritage: Celeste (it'll be here soon)
    Archiduchesse Elisabeth d'Autriche: Dawn (mine reverted from the Vick's Caprice on which Dawn enabled me)

Anne, JR is extremely healthy & vigorous in my Dallas-area garden. Just a reminder that his blooms are small (like a miniature rose bloom). What is lacked in size is made up in sheer quantity.

Randy

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops, Luanne, of course I should not have listed Gruss an Aachen among the fragrant THORNLESS roses. Original Gruss DOES have some thorns (it's only the pink sport that is virtually thornless).

Randy

• mudbird
    17 years ago

Climbing Pinkie is the most thornless rose I've grown. THe canes are amazingly smooth.

• rjlinva
    17 years ago

Two very fragrant roses I don't see mentioned: Zephirine Droughin and Kathleen Harrop.

Another good thornless/nearly thornless:

Yellow Lady Banks

• luanne
    17 years ago

Robert that is probably because they are so big and Randy's garden is of the smaller sort bit a ZD would look pretty draped over the house, that smells good to.
    la

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

ZEPHIRINE DROUHIN----------Of course you all know how I love this rose.

I feel so bad about my Jefferson Rose.

When I met Rozanna a couple of years ago at Susan's garden she (Rozanna) gave me a little slip of this rose.

The only time we had someone cut our grass(following DH double knee replacement) the guy weed-whacked my little baby JR---I was REALLY UPSET over that---It had a special place in my heart because Rozanna gave it to me.

Randy Thanks for this list.

Florence

• oldblush
    17 years ago

Randy I bought an Austin on sale for $3, Geoff Hamilton, late in the season from Lowe's. It was a three gallon pot from J&P and so far I haven't seen the first thorn. The bad news is that it hasn't bloomed the first time either although it does appear to be very healthy.

• kernel_z9b
    17 years ago

A Sequoia release in 2005 is absolutly thornless, 'My Stars'. 'Playboy' x 'Bayse's Legasy'.

It has performed very nicely for us.

Da Kernel

Here is a link that might be useful: My Stars

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mudbird, my mom grows Climbing Pinkie, and she likes it very much. Her's does have a few thorns, but not many.

Luanne is right, Robert. If I had room, I'd certainly have a Zephirine Droughin.

Florence, I am so sorry about your JR. It is such a healthy, vigorous rose.

What a bargain, Hamp. I have my first Austin coming in about a week or two ... 'Heritage'.

Da Kernel, that 'My Stars' is a great looking rose. Thanks for the link.

Randy

• patrickd_nc
    17 years ago

After checking out my Mme Dore, I counted 9 total thorns on the entire three-year old plant, and all were in the bottom half of the plant. Certainly less thorny than Crepuscule when I grew it. It's a very compact, very fragrant Bourbon that blooms steadily and would go very well with Gruss and Pink Gruss (actually, I planted Pink Gruss right next to it).

{{gwi:313066}}

• luanne
    17 years ago

Randy is that the 8ft Heritage???
    la

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Patrick, your Mme Dore looks great. I didn't realize it had few thorns.

Luanne, yep, that'd be the one. Illogical choice, huh? I just hope it doesn't get 8 ft wide. I wanted a very cupped bloom in a low-thorn rose to give me something to look at when my Paul Neyron is balling. If Heritage balls, please don't tell me, it's too late.

Randy

• klimkm
    17 years ago

I think it may shatter too quickly in TX unless planted in semi-shade but my fave thornless is the david austin: Heritage. It only has small thorns way down on bottom of the old canes.

Yes even in IL, my "heritage" gets 7 feet tall. I just am ruthless with the pruning with the larger austins. I let them get their shape for 2 growing seasons, then when necessary trim down to a reasonable size when they get too out of hand.

This rose has never "balled" for me here in IL.

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info on Heritge, klimkm. I'm glad to hear it doesn't ball for you. I look forward to the arrival of my Heritage order.

Randy

• Molineux
    17 years ago

Smooth Ladies

Smooth Ladies are roses with thornless or nearly thornless canes. Most have full "old fashioned" flowers and with the sole exception of Charlotte are strongly fragrant. Growth habit is variable.

A Shropshire Lad (English, 1997) apricot pink, quartered flower form, tall upright growth habit.
    Aimee Vibert (Noisette, 1828) Â pure white, small loosely quartered form, medium mounding shrub.
    Belinda (Hybrid Musk, 1936) Â magenta with white eye, single, tall mounding shrub.
    Berries n Cream (Climber, 1997)  red and white stripe, semi-double, mannerly climber.
    Boule de Neige (Bourbon, 1867) Â pure snowy white, globular form, tall upright shrub.
    Charlotte (English, 1994) Â light yellow, globular flower form, tall upright shrub.
    Clotilde Soupert (Climbing Polyantha, 1902) Â blush pink opening soft white, quartered, tall aggressive climber; also available as a short shrub.
    Cornelia (Hybrid Musk, 1925) Â soft coral pink, semi-double, medium mounding shrub.
    Cotillion/Perfume Perfection (Floribunda, 1999) Â lilac, flattened rosette, short upright shrub.
    Dupuy Jamain (Hybrid Perpetual, 1868) Â cerise red, deeply cupped, medium to tall upright shrub.
    General Kleber (Moss, 1856) Â shining pink, loosely quartered, medium to upright shrub, once blooming.
    Gloire Lyonase (Hybrid Perpetual, 1885) Â creamy white, cupped flower form, tall upright shrub.
    Golden Celebration (English, 1992) Â deep golden yellow, deeply cupped, medium to tall shrub.
    Golden Wings (Shrub, 1956) Â clear yellow, single, medium to tall bushy shrub.
    Heritage (English, 1984) Â shell pink, cupped, tall arching shrub; Rose-Marie is a white sport.
    Honorine de Brabant (Bourbon, 1840) Â light pink striped with violet, tall arching shrub.
    La Reine (Hybird Perpetual, 1842) Â medium pink, cupped, tall upright growth habit.
    Lady Hillingdon (Tea, 1910) Â egg yolk yellow, high centered flower form, tall short upright shrub; also available as a climber.
    Louis XIV (China, 1859) Â dark smoldering red, high centered flower form, short upright shrub.
    Lyda Rose (Hybrid Musk, 1994) Â white tipped orchid pink, single, medium bushy shrub.
    Marie Pavie (Polyantha, 1888) Â ivory, high centered, medium wiry shrub; Marie Daly is a pink sport.
    Midnight Blue (Shrub, 2004) Â dark purple, semi-double flower form, short shrub.
    Nur Mahal (Hybrid Musk, 1923) Â cherry red, semi-double flower form, tall mounding shrub.
    Nymphenburg (Hybrid Musk, 1954) Â salmon pink, semi-double flower form, tall arching shrub
    Perle DÂOr (Polyantha, 1884) Â blush apricot, high centered flower form, medium wiry shrub.
    Pretty Jessica (English, 1983) Â pink blend, cupped flower form, short upright shrub.
    Reine des Violettes (Hybrid Perpetual, 1860) Â soft purple, quartered with button eye, tall upright shrub, can be grown as a climber in warm climates.
    Souvenir du Docteur Jamian (Hybrid Perpetual, 1865) Â dark red, cupped flower form, tall upright shrub to moderate climber, must have afternoon shade.
    Yolande DÂAragon (Portland, 1843) Â deep rose pink, quartered flower form, tall arching shrub.
    Zephirine Drouhin (Bourbon, 1868) Â deep magenta pink, high centered, climber; Kathleen Harrop is a light pink sport.

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nice list. Thanks, Patrick.

Randy

• annabellethomp
    17 years ago

Basye's Blueberry and Cl. Pinkie are my favorites. BB is one of my most fragrant healthy roses, and I've never found a thorn. China Doll is also thornless.

• wild_rose_of_texas
    17 years ago

Hey! I didn't know that Lady Hillingdon is thornless! Wow! Mine is just a baby yet, so I have a year or two to wait, but this is good news, indeed!

Yes, Randy, Mier Y Teran is truly thornless. Ours is about two years old now, getting pretty big, and not a thorn in sight. You need it. Want some cuttings?

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

annabellethomp, how could I forget 'Basye's Blueberry'? I agree, it is totally thornless and smells of sweet, fresh fruit. A winner for sure.

Allison, that is really nice of you to offer cuttings of your Mier Y Teran. Unfortunately, I have learned the hard way that I don't have room for big arching, pillar, or climbing roses. Thank you for thinking of me though.

Randy

• luanne
    17 years ago

I didn't know that Lady Hillingdon was thornless either-perhaps she's keeping secrets from me...
    la

• Molineux
    17 years ago

Lady Hillingdon isn't thornless. Instead, her thorns are widely spaced along the cane. In all honesty there are very few "thornless" roses. Most of the cultivars on the list will have some thorns. The difference is that the thorns aren't plentiful, are spaced far apart and not overly large.

• barb422
    17 years ago

I thought I read somewhere that Bayse's Blueberry gets good fall color, is this true? Also, hips?

And does anyone have pictures of Meir y Teran? I've been wanting this rose, got Star of the Republic instead (which is beautiful by the way), and yet I still want Meir. Anyone know what the English translation of Meir y Teran is? I know that y = and. I took away a lot from Spanish class, didn't I?

Sorry to hijack, Randy. Thanks again for the enabling on Valentine, a work horse of a rose.

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Barbara, for me, Basye's Blueberry's leaves just turn yellow in the fall. Yes, it reliably produces a heavy crop of large hips.

Randy

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

And here is a picture of Meir Y Teran that Dawn took for me when she visited The Antique Rose Emporium.

Randy

{{gwi:246241}}

• barb422
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info Randy and the picture. It's lovely. Bayse's Blueberry turning yellow sounds good to me. Most of my roses turn ucky brown. John Davis gets pretty yellow leaves btw. That picture is so pretty. I think I will have to get both of these roses next year. If you're still in touch with Dawn say hello for me.

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Barbara, I haven't heard from Dawn in a long time. I don't even see her on the DesertRatRose forum anymore. I miss her & hope everything is okay in San Antonio.

Randy

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Morletti is nicely smooth, to add to the list. If I could remember the name of the repeating Italian white banksia I got from Lisa, I'd add that he's about like Heritage to me: some snagging will occur although he's said to be thornless. Charlotte is similar for me, if not a bit snaggier.

I'm forgetting oodles if Heritage et al count. Reine DV is the best, IMHO. Renae isn't bad.

Very thorny roses?... oh too many. Bracteata comes to mind as inescapable if brushing by.

• kittymoonbeam
    17 years ago

How about a smooth laddie? Charles Lawson a hybrid bourbon. Big and wide bush but never bit me once. Big fragrant flowers top it all off. I love this rose! Why isn't it sold more? Also my felecia is almost thornless. Don't know if this is the norm. I bought it a long time ago from Roses of Yesterday and Today.

• seattlesuze
    17 years ago

Meir y Teran (both family names with no definitions listed in the Spanish to English dictionaries I checked) was a Mexican general who led a border expedition to verify the boundaries between Texas and Mexico in 1828, and then made recommendations to the Mexican government resulting in the Law of April 6. The law set up custom houses and garrisons, made slavery illegal (as it was throughout Mexico but not in Texan anglo communities), established tariffs, and worst of all, prohibited anglo immigration from the north.

Antique Rose Emporium identifies the name as connoting "the epic and tragic pioneer journey of the Texas militia to Mexico in 1835." The Texas militia were successful in forcing the Mexican army to stand down and this was one of the significant steps that thrust Texas into statehood. Perhaps Meir y Teran was involved in another campaign in 1835 that was in support of statehood and the anglos' objectives, but it seems awkward that he would have been a successful Mexican general and would then take up the cause of Texas statehood. I'm absolutely curious now about how this rose came to be named.

Stephen Scanniello, do you know the real story behind this rose and its namesake?

Randy, other than this quick and fascinating bit of research your post led me to, I'm really enjoying the topic of thornless roses. And did I tell you that I've finally ordered the Jefferson rose? I'm so excited!

Sue

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue, that is very interesting info you found on the significance of the name Meir y Teran. I have also been curious, and about a year ago did some research, which left me more confused than before.

I found similar info to what you did about the Mexican general and his expedition into Texas and the resulting desire of Mexico to stop Anglo immigration into Texas, etc. But I didn't understand the "epic and tragic pioneer journey of the Texas militia" part. Thanks for sharing the info you found.

I hope you like your Jefferson Rose, and that it does well for you. I have still never seen a single thorn on its little smooth self.

Randy

• cemeteryrose
    17 years ago

In the Sacramento City Cemetery rose garden, we grow a "thornless" found rose, "Dr. Peck's 12th Ave Smoothie", that we're told is the same as 'Charles Lawson.' While its canes are smooth, one of the worst scratches I've ever had came from the hooks on the back of its leaves. It's a beautiful, fragrant, disease-resistant once-blooming rose.

'Crepuscule' is not thornless, at all. Nice rose, though.

Nobody has mentioned Ralph Moore's 'Renae.' In the right climate, it's wonderful. Seems to want warm summer days and nights.

I used to scoff at people who wanted "thornless" roses, thinking that real rose growers don't mind. After looking at my hands through a magnifying glass last year, and realizing that no less than twenty "prickles" were embedded under my skin, I've begun to appreciate the virtues of a smooth rose. I'm nursing a couple of sore fingers right now - it's pruning season here.
    Anita

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anita, my daughter stays clear of some of my "thornless" roses because, as you said, she's had some blood shed due to the hidden prickles underneath the leaves. Only my Mrs Dudley Cross, Jefferson Rose, Basye's Blueberry, & Pink Gruss an Aachen are really virtually free of any type of prickle at all. Take are of those sore fingers & watch those embedded prickles.

Randy

• hemlady
    17 years ago

Patrick's list contained a rose I used to have, Louis XIV, a china (or an old hybrid tea or hybrid perpetual) as it seems no one is sure. Anyway, this rose was in no way thornless! It had many thorns. I got it from Roses Unlimited a few years ago and I really liked it, but it died of Rose Rosette. Do you think I had an imposter? Denise

• Janet
    17 years ago

I'm a nurse and treated a lady last year that had to have surgery to debride an innocent thorn prick. She had a cast and was to have 6 weeks of IV antibiotics. So beware and keep those scratches and pricks clean. Also keep your tetanus shots up to date. I've been trying to buy only thornless or roses with few thorns ever since.

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That is something to consider ... thanks for the info, Janet.

Randy

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Of course, Randy you now have the thornless Heritage. What about Crepuscule and MAC?

• luxrosa
    17 years ago

cemetaryrose
    I love "Dr. Pecks 12th Avenue smoothie"!!! I admired it at S.J.H.R.G. and at the cemetary. I admit the name baffled me, "smoothie" to me sounded like a smoocher who loved blended fruit drinks. Which classes do you think it may have been bred from?
    I never thought to buy thornless roses until the day I wore, for the first time, a new lavender, linen dress and went forth to my garden to pick roses, where a wily H.T. ripped a great tear in it, more fool me.
    "Nastarana" is one of my pathside roses now.
    Luxrosa.

• ogroser
    17 years ago

Don't overlook the Hybrid Noisette Mme Plantier , and the albas Madame Legras de St Germaine , and Chloris as well as the boursaults like Mme Sancy de Parabere and others. - Best

• cemeteryrose
    17 years ago

Crepuscule is far from thornless in my garden (and the Sacramento cemetery, too). Ralph Moore's Renae is indeed thornless, and beautiful too, with wonderful peach-leaf drooping foliage. Think it needs some summer heat to perform best. It came through our week or two of freezing temps in the 20s with no problem at all.
    Anita

• ogroser
    17 years ago

Oops! In pruning today, I noticed that my Mme. Plantier had grown a few prickles. Take her off the list. Thanks

• BriosaFarm
    17 years ago

Well, if nobody wants to talk about Caroline Hairston (pouting, LOL) then can you tell me more about Mier y Teran and/or Star of the Republic? I know what ARE says about both of them, and I own them both but they're too young to be doing much yet and despite many visits to the south ARE, I haven't been able to catch one of these guys in bloom or even large enough in their pots to give me a better feel for the growth habit. From description, I envision Star of the Republic being kind of big and sprawly, maybe looking good just let "fountain" and Mier y Teran being great for a pillar.

Has anyone tried SotR on a pillar? Does anyone have pics of the blooms of either? Any input is welcome....I'm doing garden placements this week.

Thanks, Debra

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus