Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandaceshirley

isabella skinner/victorian memory

kandaceshirley
15 years ago

Does anyone else in zone 5 has this rose? I'm trying to figure out where to plant it and just how large it will get. My understanding is that it's more of a shrub than an actual climber. Will it do well without something to climb on or does it need the support?

Comments (12)

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    15 years ago

I don't grow this rose. Was interested because i hadn't heard of it and your z5. I looked it up on HMF.com, wow, its very hardy, Zone 2b. the pictures of it have it growing on a metal arbour, looks pretty tall 7ft. Good looking rose for a super hardy climber. Good luck with it.....mark

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Checked on HMF and it looks like a lovely rose, and yes, is it ever hardy! Doesn't seem to be a source for it in Canada. Strange, since it was bred here. Maybe if we (up here)contacted Pickering and Palatine, they would consider growing it. Surely it would be a big seller, being hardy to zone 2b, repeating AND having a strong fragrance.
    Judith

• kandaceshirley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It does seem to be extremely hardy which made me think I probably had a decent chance of it making it to the 10 foot mark. I'm thinking I'll have DH design some type of arbor or trellis for it. I just need to think of a worthy design. I got mine from high country roses, but it doesn't look like they ship to Canada. Ashdown roses has it and they can ship to Canada.

• bluespanishlady
    12 years ago

I bought and planted Victorian Memory own root roses from High Country Roses last year, and as you can see I live in zone 4, southern Minnesota.

After an unsually mild winter these roses are already breaking buds and are a very healthy three feet tall. (This is unusually early for Minnesota, but even our trees are leafing out now. )
    I look forward to watching them grow and bloom this year. I cant wait!
    If what they already look like now is any indication, I won't be disappointed.

• Agnesik12
    11 years ago

Hi

Does anyone know it I can buy this rose in europe?

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    11 years ago

Not as far as I can tell. It was bred in Canada and the only nurseries offering it for sale that I can see are all in the U.S.; HelpMeFind lists nothing in Europe. I don't know if any of these four would be able to export it or not but you could contact them and ask.
    Heaven Sent Roses, North Carolina
    High Country Roses, Colorado
    North Creek Farm, Maine
    Rogue Valley Roses, Oregon
    Good luck!

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    11 years ago

Rogue Valley Roses will ship both to Canada and Europe.

It has always amazed me that Isabella Skinner is lost to commerce in Canada. In fact of all the roses Dr. Skinner bred, only about five or six are available in the US and Canada, though there are quite a few more available in Europe.

Frank Skinner was a renowned plant breeder and horiculturalist in Canada and internationally in his time. He was on a par with Felicitas Svedia (Canadian Explorer Roses) and Percy Wright who was a contemporary and colleague of his in Alberta; or with Griffith Buck and Ralph Moore in the US. In July 2005 Dr. Skinner was officially recognized as a Person of National Historic Importance (Parks Canada).

"Dr. Frank Leith Skinner was one of Canada's Most innovative horticulturists and plant propagators. He resided in Dropmore, Manitoba, where his farm served as the natural laboratory for breeding new strains of plants capable of surviving the hash prairie climate. Although he was isolated from other breeders, Dr. Skinner's rugged independence, persistent efforts and patience made him a leading authority on plant hardiness."

- Manitoba Dept of Cultural Affairs and Historical Resources publication on Dr Skinner, 1981

I have long been friends with one of Dr. Skinner's sons Leith. We were on ski patrol together for many years in British Columbia. When I asked Leith about his father's roses a number of years ago, he put me in touch with his older brother, Hugh. Hugh followed in his father's footsteps and ran a commercial nursery enterprise in Roblin, Manitoba for many years. At that time I corresponded with Hugh, I was hoping I might get a rooted cutting of Isabella Skinner from him. But he had retired by the time I was in touch with him. Isabella Skinner is named for Hugh's and Leith's mother. Hugh told me that his father's farm had been turned into an historical site (see link below). The farm is at Dropmore, Manitoba, just Northwest of Riding Mountain National Park near the Saskatchewan border.

Hugh thought it likely that there was still a plant of Isabella Skinner at the site, likely in the Heritage Rose Garden which contains more than seventy Canadian Bred rose cultivars.

This arboretum is a true Canadian treasure for all types of cold hardy plant, not just roses. It is sort of a Canadian version of Reiman Gardens, with Dr. Buck's roses in the U.S.

It is intriguing to think that there are likely most Dr. Skinner's rose cultivars all there in one spot, including shrubs and other super hardy climbers and ramblers, just waiting for an enterprising rose rustler to ask permission to collect cuttings and propogate them. It would be wonderful to reintroduce at least a few. Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

Cheers, Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Frank Skinner Arboretum Trail

• Agnesik12
    11 years ago

Thank you for all your respond. Rick...thank you for so long history. I will try to contant this nurseries.

• Agnesik12
    11 years ago

I have one more question. Do you know another roses bred by Mr.Skinner?

• windeaux
    11 years ago

Agnesik: Here's a complete list of roses hybridized by Dr. Skinner at his nursery in Manitoba . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Frank Skinner's Roses

• mariannese
    11 years ago

Rogue Valley Roses don't ship to Europe any longer because of new regulations. At least that's what a friend was told recently. It's a pity because we've had so many American roses from them over the years.

I think your best option would be to contact a large Polish nursery like rosaplant.pl and ask them to import for you. It's so much easier for them to do it and in this way they may be able to acquire stock for themselves. They already sell some American roses so they may have good contacts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polish rose nursery