Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Paul Neyron, is it a good rose?

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I love the look and color of Paul Neyron and am seriously considering planting one in 2015. I would appreciate some opinions on the overall health and vigor of this rose. TIA

Comments (14)

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Paul Neyron is a very tall upright rose. The blooms are beautifully huge with a vivid hue. Flowers weigh a cane down. It does black spot in humid climates.
    Reblooms rather quickly.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

It will also rust like an old iron skillet where it is water stressed and/or where rust is an issue. Kim

• jill_perry_gw
    9 years ago

The fragrance is divine, as well. I'd plant it, and if after a few years it's a rust bucket or black spot magnet, get rid of it. If healthy, you'll really be glad you got it.
    Jill

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll certainly watch out for the blackspot and rust. Blackspot is usually the biggest problem where I live. Jill, I'm almost certain I'll get it, it is lovely.

• malcolm_manners
    9 years ago

In Florida it's a great rose. We do spray for black spot, but we never have rust, so that's not an issue. Very good bloom if rather vigorously deadheaded (shorten back to waist-high each time). One of the best rebloomers among the HPs for us.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Sara Ann,
    My experience pretty much echoes the above comments. He's very tall, upright and rather narrow...so far in his second season about 7 ft tall and around 2 to 3 feet wide. Huge, beautiful, fragrant blooms that repeat quickly with hard deadheading. The heavy blooms will weigh down new canes, but older ones are usually strong enough to hold them high. Mildew and rust are rarely problems in our climate, but BS is a given on almost any rose here. PN will BS some, but not too badly...I've sprayed him a couple of times this year to keep the BS under control.

Here are a couple of pictures from this past weekend where he's towering over his companions:

{{gwi:313228}}

{{gwi:313229}}

This cane wasn't strong enough to hold up its bloom, so had to prop it up:

{{gwi:313230}}

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Pat! Nice enough to ALMOST make me consider attempting him again... This one definitely pegs easily. Simply bend those tall canes over off the vertical and secure them to a stake, trellis or another plant. Treat him like a climber and he will break into many laterals along those almost climbing canes and flower all along their length. Pegging was a very popular method of growing HPs and increasing their flowering. "Landed gentry" had the land, staff and other necessary resources in the Victorian and Edwardian eras to peg them into many fanciful shapes. We can do similarly while keeping in mind the increased labor needed for more elaborate pegging. Kim

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Malcolm and Pat. Pat, your pictures make it even more tempting, they're beautiful!

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Kim, Thanks for the suggestion! I've never pegged a rose, but think I will try that with PN...but not to worry, it won't be anything elaborate :)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

You're welcome, Pat. If you've ever trained a climber, you've pretty much "pegged" a rose. It got its name from arching long growths over to the ground and securing them with a peg. I've seen old photos of HPs spread out across a lawn like pin wheels so the laterals grew straight up forming a colored wheel on the grass. Can you imagine the tedium of having to hand cut the turf around a prickly rose cane lying on the grass? Oh, man! Pillaring a rose is about the same idea, as training a climber and you could do that with Paul, too. Once you get over any apprehension over it, it's really quite a bit of fun. Enjoy! Kim

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

What gorgeous pictures! I didn't realize it had that much of an old rose look. The small flowers in the background are perfect in their colors. This rose was so popular at one time that the term "Neyron Pink" was coined to describe this particular color.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Beautiful flowers, but the Rust was beyond description. The flowers of 'Yves Piaget' are very similar, so I enjoy Yves instead.

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

Mine usually is more lavender but can be a fairly strong pink. Blooms are huge and fragrant, and it reblooms well here even in part shade. Mine gets blackspot, is tall, arching , not thorny, with canes on the narrow side. Rust is not an issue here either. You can peg a rose to something besides the ground..anything to get the canes to arch over.