Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

"De la Vina Mystery"

jerijen
9 years ago

"De la Vina Mystery"

Probably a Hybrid Perpetual Rose.

Probably of-the-family-of 'La Reine.'

Found in Santa Barbara, CA -- growing up through, and blooming above the top of an 8-ft-tall Eugenia Hedge.

I suspect this rose was planted prior to the 1925 Santa Barbara earthquake, and the eugenia, planted later, was a replacement for an earlier bed of roses.

VERY fragrant. Excellent repeat, if deadheaded regularly. Surprisingly disease resistant, other than some rust in Fall, on old leaves.

Not in commerce, but I thought folks might like to see it.

Jeri

Comments (29)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the story and the picture

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Very pretty. Is the bloom a bit on the petite side, like RdV?

Virginia

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No. Not particularly small. Maybe 3.5 inches or so?

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    9 years ago

Everything you say makes me want that rose...

• shopshops
    9 years ago

Ohhh the agony. Someone should put this rose into commerce. Its form and colour is just beautiful. I want one!!!!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sadly, not in commerce, or likely to be ever.

Jeri

• shopshops
    9 years ago

What a shame!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We've lost too many nurseries. There just aren't enough left to market all these roses.

The best we can do is share them forward.

Jeri

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

For a Hybrid Perpetual it sounds like a dream of a rose, and seemly smells that way too. What a gorgeous bloom.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes. I have three here that I think are equally valuable, and similar -- though not the same:

"De la Vina Mystery," and the one Kim found: "Crestline Mulberry."
    And there's "Barbara's Pasture Rose."

All smell similarly. Blooms are not identical, but similar -- I think BPRs blooms are biggest by far. All have different habits.

All do surprisingly well here. But I think that says something about roses which have survived with no care.

Jeri

This post was edited by jerijen on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 18:27

• Michael H 6b NY
    7 years ago

Jeri, I know this is an old post, but I would love some cuttings of De La Vina Mystery is you ever have any! I've been collecting unusual hybrid prepetuals and think it is one of the most beautiful. Let me know if you'd be able/ up for it :)

• jerijen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Michael -- I would love to help you. But though I have not seen them in my garden, Chilli Thrips are in my area. We are under a very strict quarantine now. If I ever share roses again, it's going to require some considerable process. However, it is in the Sacramento City Cemetery, which is not under that quarantine.

• Michael H 6b NY
    7 years ago

I understand Jeri, thanks for letting me know! I live in New York, so the cemetary is out of the question for me at the moment. We'll see though, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You never know what the future may bring.

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

That's a real beauty!

• shebabee
    7 years ago

WOW!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    7 years ago

OOOOOHHHHH. I have one of these and a bunch of Crestline Mulberry just came out of the mister! YAY. Michael, when one of mine gets big enough I'm glad to send cuttings. Are you available for messaging here on GW.

7 years ago

Also, how does De La Vina compare with Forest Ranch? I cannot seem to get Barbara's Pasture Rose out of the gate...is she a slow starter?

Susan

• jerijen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

DlVMystery is wholly different from FRP-P. Different color, different foliage . . . But I am afraid that FRPP won't be here much longer. It seems to want at least a LITTLE winter -- and we give it almost none. So it doesn't bloom.

De la Vina is more in the style of 'La Reine' -- Though we know that it can grow up to 8-ft tall if allowed to -- and it is far healthier and more productive than LR is here.

BPR was not a fast starter here, and still has nowhere the stature it achieves in the cemetery . . . but that's all right.

We grow three roses that have been dismissed as "just 'La Reine'". "Barbara's Pasture Rose", "Crestline Mulberry", and "De la Vina Mystery".

All are slightly different, one from the other . . . so even if one of them is 'La Reine,' they can't all be:

7 years ago

Thanks Jeri. I'm hoping Crestline Mulberry will do well here. Roots like a champ!

I will be patient with Barbara's Pasture Rose.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Crestline Mulberry seems to have all the vigor in the world, and blooms like mad. :-)

• Michael H 6b NY
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sue, how increadibly kind of you to offer! I've also never heard of Crestine Mulberry before, she's a total knock out! I would so appreciate cuttings of either, or both whenever you're able to get some. This is why I love this old rose community.. we're all so compassionate and helpful to one another. I have so many different roses I'd be glad to send cuttings of for you to try, if you'd like when my bands grow a little more.. Does anyone know how I could adjust the settings to allow private messaging? Or if it's already on?

Side note, I also got a smaller band of Barbera's Pasture Rose a few months back, that really wasn't doing well when I put it in the ground after receiving it. I repotted it back up into a 2 gallon container with some plantone and put it in full sun. It's sending out new growth and a magnificently scented bloom in just a few weeks.. pink globular scented cabbage roses are my absolute favorite!!

7 years ago

Michael and Wat3, message me here.

Susan

7 years ago

Jeri, Just looked on HMF. Sad that a found USA rose is only in commerce in Poland, Germany and the Netherlands. Shameful really. Is it at the SJHRG or the SAC?

Susan

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Hooray for that little rose growing out of the hedge! She's a beauty and I hope she prospers for a long time. I want one too!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Susan, DlVM is in the Sacramento City Cemetery's garden, so there's a hope that if you bug them, they could propagate it. OR maybe get it to Burling . . .

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

Jeri would Crestline Mulberry be available from anywhere sometime in the future?

I like BPR too, but CM speaks more to me ;)

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    7 years ago

Susan,

Similar to Michael, my BPR was not growing. Actually, it almost appeared to be going backwards. I felt that I did not have much to lose, so I gave it a small dose of fertilizer. It began to grow. In 5 weeks, it has almost doubled in size.

One treatment for all bands ( pot them up, water, and morning sun),.... NO!!! I am learning ...

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022