Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onederw

Grandmother's Hat

onederw
12 years ago

For those who, like me, have coveted a Gram Hat of his or her very own, Annie's Annuals and Perennials has them now for sale on their website. I've ordered from them often, never roses, but their plants are always first rate, and beautifully packed. I'm sure they won't last long, so if you want one, be prompt.

Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: Grandmother's Hat at Annie's Annuals and Perennials

Comments (18)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

When they've had it, they've never had it for long, so I agree -- if you've been wanting it, go for it soon.

I'd say order it from Vintage, but it's on the Custom Propagation list.

Jeri

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    12 years ago

They also have the Lyda rose by mail -- succumbed myself last weekend, in-person. Always happens; went there for Adenophora potaninii (which seems, against all odds, to do nicely out here, in part shade) and some more Agastache rupestris (hands down, best ever in my garden: perfect foliage, non-stop bloom for three months now - still going - and complements Gruss an Coburg perfectly). They also had a lot of Felicia and R. sericea.

Debbie

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! I just called Annie's and ordered Grandmother's hat - now I will have to figure out where to put it.

Jackie

• iowa_jade
    12 years ago

There is always room for a new rose such as Grandmother's Hat.
    F.L.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

It's not a thug in the garden -- remains gracefully upright -- can fit in almost anywhere. Even espaliered as a climber!

Once you have her, you can make more, and create a hedge!

JEri

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

It is an excellent rose out here in the west. I have read on these pages that growers in the east have BS problems. Here it seems to throw off all disease with a laugh.

Rosefolly

• jerijen
    12 years ago

It seems to appreciate dry conditions. :-) Oh, and handles akaline conditions well, too.

Jeri

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Here in California, Grandmother's Hat is quite shade tolerant. I've grown it as a large, free standing shrub and have a friend who has trained her to cover a pergola outside her kitchen greenhouse window. She's mostly lightly prickled, but some canes can have them. She's now grown in The Netherlands as I sent her budwood, as well as all of ther mutations, there in hopes someone there might be able to finally put an official name to her.

She's spotless in the inland valley heat here and suffered no fungal ills two blocks from the Pacific in Pacific Palisades. Kim

• onederw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yaaay -- I got to be an enabler! I have the same problem as Jackie. I have no idea where Gram Hat is going to end up. I just knew I had to have her. I also have a September Morn on order from RVR that will also arrive sometime later in the fall.
    Of course this means I've started circling the garden like a hyena scouting a herd of zebras, looking for who to pick off.
    I spy . . . an underperforming Susan Williams-Ellis, new this year, with a reverting to pink cane to boot, and. . .
    and stay tuned. The hyena is still prowling, Mr. Shovel in hand.

Kay

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Shade tolerant! That opens up a lot more spaces where I may put her. Also I have an awful habit of letting true "volunteer" roses grow - I am always so curious to see what they will look like. I do have a couple that are non-descript once bloomers, in an area that is suddenly getting more light because we took out a tree - I think they are not long for this world.

Thanks for the descriptions of the habit of GH Jeri - that helps a lot too. "Gracefully upright" is just what would be perfect where those volunteers are - I am so used to giant sprawling roses that I always just presume that is what roses are going to do!

Kim - you sparked my curiosity with "as well as all of her mutations". How many? Could you give me a brief description of them? Want to know what to look out for! I love sports!

Jackie

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

It does sucker a tiny little bit after it has become well established. Very easy to control.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Of course, the shade tolerance and health are going to vary depending upon your climate. Here, where it is hot, brilliant and probably more arid than many, though we do have an element of marine influence, she grows and performs well in filtered sun with a few hours of direct sun in the middle of the day.

The nurseryman who raised hundreds, if not thousands of her, and whose name still can't be mentioned here due to the controls Spike put in place to ban him and anyone who attempts to mention his name, found that a full 30% of the plants he raised were of a lighter color. Sports occur randomly. Reversions often occur around 30% of the time, so Grandmother's Hat is very likely a mutation of the original, making proper, official identification nearly impossible unless the darker version was introduced and enjoyed wider distribution.

Larry Daniels, named for the nurseryman's cousin who passed away at a younger age; Tina Marie, named for another family member; are both documented on HMF and have been in commerce. Jeri has a striped sport of it which resembles the type of striping found on the rose Souv. of Antoine Esquevel, which Ed Wilkinson, IIRC, identified as Striped La France. I sent all four to Bierkreek in The Netherlands as I figured seeing all the known permutations of her might increase the chances of someone familiar with the older roses in large collections finally putting a name to her.

I adore the sweet, peppery, cedar scent to her new growth, new foliage, sepals and peduncles. She will perfume your hand when you groom her. The flowers are wonderfully scented also. I have Tina Marie growing on the north side of a house in Valencia, CA where it gets strong reflected light with full sun only at the height of summer and it grows and flowers beautifully with no disease issues. The large Penelope on the perpendicular wall is frequently mildewy and the Abraham Darby to its right has black spot issues when it's hotter with more humidity. Souv de St. Anne's and Malmaison are mildewed thirteen months of the year in the same end of the same bed, but they flower and represent additions a deceased, beloved friend of the homeowner's installed. Grandmother's Hat grows in the too narrow, too hot bed in front of her living room picture window between the concrete drive and the large sheet of glass. There is a ton of reflected and radiated heat and there are frequent outbreaks of spider mites where I can't hose them off without fouling the acre of plate glass. Makes it fun. Stinky Babs is to the left of GH and suffers every ill known to rosedom, but GH remains clean and flowers.

I've raised a few seedlings of decent merit (at least in their first few seasons) and have one at Jeri's for testing. Grandmother's Hat and her variants are wonderful landscape and garden plants. You can't go wrong with her. Kim

• le_jardin_of_roses
    12 years ago

"Of course this means I've started circling the garden like a hyena scouting a herd of zebras, looking for who to pick off"

Onederw (Kay), your statement above made me laugh, so much. I've been there, done that. And I just finished watching a National Geographic documentary on hyena's recently, too. They are determined hunters, so you must be really obsessing on the kill. :) Thanks for the humor!

Juliet

• peachiekean
    12 years ago

I bought a one gallon from Jeri and Clay Jennings almost 2 years ago. I planted on the west side of my house around a pillar placed behind it. Today, it stands close to 7 ft. tall with buds a plenty. I basically ignored it over the summer and it did not flower much. But watch out; she's about to put on a show.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I like that tendency to sucker just a little. One plant, sited on a hillside, has put out many harvestable suckers, which have been potted up and passed along.

This rose has been found in so many locations, it seems it must have been SOMETHING -- but you know, I don't even care. As far as I'm concerned, she's just a California Girl, and I'm content with that.

Jeri

• spiderlily7
    12 years ago

Thank you Kay, for alerting us and I've ordered GH and a Lyda Rose. And thanks to all for your good information--even though GH is reported to grow best in hot, dry climates, the rainfall/moisture levels/drought frequency seem to have changed in SW Louisiana and I've seen far less humidity-related disease here than one would expect. I have a perfect dryish/hot spot by an ornamental pond, flanked by a small tree, where she should do well and help create shade on that end. It will be an interesting experiment. Thanks again!

• aimeekitty
    12 years ago

I got a baby band from Long Ago Roses 5/10 and she's now a respectable gallon-sized plant approximately. I'm looking forward to putting her in the ground this fall, I have a nice big spot for her behind my arbor. :)

I also have Larry Daniels as a Gallon from Vintage 10/10 and have been really happy with it so far. I have a purple clematis growing next to it. :)

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

I ordered GH on Tuesday, and it showed up today! In one gallon container, and very large - 3 well leaved canes that are at least 2 feet tall.

Jackie