Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lerosier3

Austin roses

lerosier3
9 years ago

Since I am a rather anal person, I like to plan ahead. I will be adding three new raised rose beds next year that will be devoted to David Austin roses. I am planning my purchases now and am open to suggestions. The first bed will be 4' by 8' in two rows - the front row Ambridge Rose and the Shepherdess, the back row - Noble Anthony, Prospero and Sophy's Rose. The second bed will be 4' by 32'. I am thinking of 12 of the following for it: Munstead Wood, Charles Rennie McIntosh, Carding Mill, Darcey Bussell, Lady Emma Hamilton, Molineux, Queen of Sweden, Tamora, Christopher Marlowe, Happy Child, Perdita, Tradescent, Fair Bianca, Teasing Georgia and Anne Boleyn. I will also be adding three climbers to my collection: Tess of the D'Urburvilles, Strawberry Hill and the Pilgrim. Comments are welcome. I also note that many Austin's are now available budded or own root - which is better?

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

You've picked some beauties there!

You might re-consider Happy Child. While I loved the blooms, I tried growing it twice and both times, it was a real wimp. Just had no vigor--never grew over a foot high and had a lot of trouble putting out any decent kind of re-bloom. Some other posters have made similar complaints on these forums.

I also grow The Pilgrim and don't know for sure what to say about it--except that it is taking a looooooonng time to settle in and start blooming. I got a couple small clusters of blooms last year but so far no bloom at all this year (after a really brutal winter)--though I did see two buds out there today. It also has the loveliest blooms, but is kind of a wimp of a plant--no vigor. At least not so far. This is its third year, by the way.

I don't know that it makes much difference whether you get your Austins grafted or own root. I have both types, and after the first couple years, there doesn't seem to be much difference in growth and blooming. It usually just depends on whether I order them from specialty nurseries like Roses Unlimited or Chamblees (both own-root) or from the David Austin nursery itself (grafted)--though nowadays Austin seems to be offering more of his roses own root also.

For a climber instead of The Pilgrim, you might want to try The Wedgewood (pastel pink/nearly white). Mine is in its second year and turning out to be a strong re-bloomer already. So far no disease problems with it at all.

But if you want a yellow climber, perhaps give a look at Teasing Georgia. I haven't grown it, but I remember several posters saying very good things about it. On the other hand, The Pilgrim does have the most lovely blooms--if you don't mind waiting for them to get around to blooming.

I hope you are going to take pics of your new beds. We'd love to see them.

Kate

• lerosier3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will put a question mark by Happy Child. Since I plan on getting Molineux I probably don't need it. Thanks.

• buford
    9 years ago

Teasing Georgia gets huge. You should count on that one to be a climber. Tradescant can also be grown as a climber. Both are excellent roses. Most Austins, however, do get blackspot if you are in an area prone to that, and have to be sprayed.

Austin sells their grafted roses on Dr. Huey. I have some grafted and some own root. The grafted ones will get larger faster, but the own root will catch up after a year or two.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Yes, if you prune 'Teasing Georgia' to be a shrub, it still makes long laterals that will break over under the weight of bloom unless supported.

'Prospero' and 'Sophy's Rose' are compact and probably belong on the front row. 'Fair Bianca' is also small if it grows for you at all.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I agree with Kate that Happy Child is a wimp and infrequent bloomer. It's a short plant, but you have much better options of short plants among your other options that can be at the front edge of your new bed. Darcy Bussell and Munstead Wood are both modest sizes for Austins and have the loveliest dark colors - you might want to intersperse those among some lighter colors. Tamora and Anne Boleyn are also both on the short side, and at least my Christopher Marlowe is short to medium as a bush.

You'll want to plan for height with Queen of Sweden, as she's a tall but very narrow grower - perhaps at the center of your bed and surround with more bushy Austins. I agree that Teasing Georgia is happiest as a climber, though I have both of mine as gangly free-standing bushes. It would prefer a fence even in my cold zone. Tradescant also has floppy canes as did my Lady Emma Hamilton (the latter died one winter), but for me Tradescant stays low but has long canes. You could either use that as a low climber underneath some larger climbers, or let it interweave among other plants if that's compatible with your style.

Carding Mill and Molineux are both large plants for me, with Carding Mill a fairly narrow growth habit and Molineux nice and bushy and a frequent bloomer. You'll like both of those.

I also agree that grafted vs. own root isn't an issue for you in zone 7 except where to get the roses you want. In my zone, I prefer own root for longterm winter survival, though some prefer grafted for quick growth in the summer to improve winter survival. It's a matter of seeing what works best for you. In the long run, it evens out for most roses, particularly Austins that don't usually need the extra vigor that comes from the grafting like some hybrid teas do.

Cynthia

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

Carding Mill is my favorite Austin, it blooms most frequently and the color is beautiful. From your list I also own Lady Emma Hamilton. The nice things about this rose is the leaves are of a different color from other Austin so its leaves add variety to the garden when not in bloom. It blooms frequently, and the blooms are quite pretty. What I don't like about her is she is a slooooooow grower. I think she is suppossed to get between three and four feet, mine is still about 2 1/2 and shes three years in my garden. She is well rounded and full though, if you get her put her in front due to this. I have Teasing Georgia, for me her blooms are more cream then true yellow. She has gotten very large, and doesn't bloom as much as my other Austins. She is in partial shade for me though, so that may be why. I have her in a large space and don't tie her, even though I could. I let her be a shrub, and she's a wild one at that.
    As others have said, most Austins need to be sprayed for blackspot.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

I am currently grown Ambridge Rose and Munstead Rose. I prefer own root as I have to mulch deeply due to drought and heat conditions where I live. After 15 years or so, my Ambridge rose is reverting back to rootstock, so she/he will get replaced this winter. It is a nice rose, but I have not been overly fond of the scent. Others love it.

Munstead is new for me. I LOVE him! Just quite the showy bloomer. He is in my front yard and I get comments all the time on how pretty he is. He has been non stop blooming in 110 plus degree heat with water restrictions! Thank goodness it is supposed to get into the 90's for a bit now. He doesn't fade in the heat either. Love this rose.

Princess Alexandra of Kent is also another prolific bloomer for me as is Pretty Jessica. Love all of those roses although Princess Alexandra wants to get a bit bigger than the space she is in.

Good luck with your choices. I can't wait for the new catelog to come out so I can replace my Jude the Obscure, Evelyn, Ambridge Rose and several of Brother Cadfael (I have a million of those I started on their own root which for this rose is easy to do--not a prolific bloomer in our heat but I still love this rose).

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    9 years ago

Lerosier,

I am a collector of early English Roses and started growing them around 1995 in Southwestern British Columbia. I have been growing them now for 12 years in zone 4, Eastern Ontario. Looks like you have a great list to create a wonderful collection of English Roses which are becoming rare, or are may shortly be out of commerce.

I think you will be very happy with The Pilgrim, it is undoubtedly one of the most exquisite blooms in rosedom. It grows well on its own roots, but IMHO, it blooms better if you can get it grafted.

For one of the best Austins as a climber, or more specifically a pillar, may I suggest Jayne Austin. I have grown this rose for two decades, but it did do better in coastal BC than here in the East. In both climates, it is virtually disease free, extremely fragrant, blooms well and vigorous. My current plant is an own root version cutting I struck and brought to Ontario from the west 12 years ago. Jayne Austin is one of my two or three favorite roses. I first saw here grown as a pillar on a fence in Abbotsford B.C. She was jaw dropping gorgeous and once I found out her name, bought her immediately. She is one of my "will never be without roses". See the link.

Three others, I would encourage you to look at: Saint Cecilia, Pretty Jessica and Lilian Austin. All superb roses, good repeat, St. Cecilia and PJ are wonderfully fragrant, vigorous, low growing, good bloomers and reasonably disease resistant. Liliian Austin is spreading in habit, vigorous, fairly low growing, excellent rebloom and unique in colour and form.

Good luck with your new English Rose collection.

Cheers, RIck

Here is a link that might be useful: Jayne Austin at Old Garden Roses & Beyond