Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
for Sherry: your 'Duchesse d'Auerstaedt'?

Posted by melissa_thefarm NItaly (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 21:43

I was looking at your blog and saw the photo of the Duchesse and it surprised me. I don't think I've ever seen such a pale bloom on my plant. DdA has blooms of quite a bright golden yellow that don't fade much. They're also fuller than the bloom you show, but that might have to do with the maturity of the plant. I just went and checked on HMF and the photos there show blooms like the one on my rose (except for an orange one that also looks atypical). Is the color of the bloom in the photo usual?
I hope you don't mind my curiosity, I was just wondering.
Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: for Sherry: your 'Duchesse d'Auerstaedt'?

My Duchesse has had a rough year. The warm winter and late freezes set her way back. I never pruned her/cleaned her up after the winter, and she's been neglected all year. Hopefully, I can give her some care quick and she'll have a nice fall flush. Maybe.

She is usually more egg yolk colored, but in the heat of summer she's lighter and the flowers are much small and raggeddy. I'm hoping her youth has something to do with it, too. She should also be getting more sun from tree trimming.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o
RE: for Sherry: your 'Duchesse d'Auerstaedt'?

I hope she grows up for you in a hurry! The Duchess is a beauty, for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here