Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

Three Madames

Hi all,
Since I'm planning to get some more teas for next year, I'm thinking about these three ladies:
* Mme. Berkeley
* Mme. Wagram
* Mme. Joseph Schwartz

Mrs. Joe will be my first pure white.
I've read many positive things about Mme. Berk in California, but those posts seemed to come from those in coastal climates. Here on the sun-baked flats, would she do well?
Mme. Wagram is such an unusual, clarion-clear shade of pink -- I've got nothing like it. Anyone growing this in SoCal?

How about Gilbert Nabonnand? Not a madame, but so delicate ..
I am not a fan of Mrs. B. R. Cant -- I'm looking for subtler and softer in this grouping.

These roses will get morning sun and dappled afternoon shade -- although right now I'm growing bands in a northern exposure, and they're thriving. Can roses do well with no direct sun?

Are there other teas that have done especially well in hot, dry climates? (it was 95 today ... ) I have Marie Van Houtte and she is, you should pardon the expression, a knockout.

Thanks,
Sylvia

Comments (21)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I can't tell you what G. Nabonnand does inland ... But it is a delicately shaded beauty near the coast.

I love Mme Berkeley ... But where temps are high, blooms may be small, and harshly colored. It will be a great winter rose, in the Valley.

Jeri

• jerijen
    9 years ago

DUPLICATE

This post was edited by jerijen on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 14:33

• jerijen
    9 years ago

DUPLICATE!!! SHEESH!

This post was edited by jerijen on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 14:34

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Le Vesuve, which looks like a tea but is described as a tea/china, loves heat and sun. It thrived in my garden for 20 years without any care at all.

Jackie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

This rose is not a tea but a Bourbon, but it does exceptionally well in my hot and dry inland garden and has the soft pink color you seem to be looking for. It blooms nearly constantly, is practically disease-free for me, is a nice rounded bush, and the flowers are so beautiful and elegant.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Depending upon where you are located, though, Bourbons can be tricky.
    The only "Bourbon" that has ever flourished here is "Ragged Robin," and I just don't really consider him to be a Bourbon at all.

Jeri

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Depending upon where you are located, though, Bourbons can be tricky.
    The only "Bourbon" that has ever flourished here is "Ragged Robin," and I just don't really consider him to be a Bourbon at all.

Jeri

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I love my baby G. Nabonnand and he loves it here. I am having a very hard time explaining to him to quit blooming and grow some more first. He is trying hard to do both, but seems to love to hide his buds from me and just bloom anyway when I keep trying to remove them.

He is only about a foot tall and across and still tries to put out a dozen blooms regularly.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

I'm in the SF South Bay, warmer than the coast but still with moderate coastal influence. You might consider us a transition between the coast and conditions that you describe. We have a lot less fog.

Here 'Mrs B R Cant' was not a good rose -- lots of powdery mildew.

My 'Madame Berkeley' is still a young rose and growing in soil with low organic content. It is sturdily surviving, and seems quite healthy, but has not yet grown very large. Hmm, do you suppose I ought to fertilize the poor dear? Perhaps I will.

I don't grow the other two "Madames" you describe, but I am extremely happy with both 'Le Vesuve' and 'Rosette Delizy'.

I cannot say if they would be happy in the hotter, drier conditions you endure. Personally, I would not be! I long for a cool, rainy climate, but with a dry sunny summer.

Rosefolly

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everybody! Mme Antoine de Mari is beautiful - maybe I'll give her a shot. The consensus on Mme Berkeley is that she probably wouldn't be the best choice here -- I can live with that.
    No one has Madame Wagram?
    Gilbert N. sounds as if he would be worthwhile -- or maybe it's just Kippy's delightful description of his personality.
    Thanks again,
    Sylvia

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

It took two tries, but my mom seems to have Gilbert Nabonnand now as well. She really likes it! The blooms are very delicate in their coloring. I don't get a lot of fragrance from them, but they seem to come plentifully even on a younger plant. It gets a tiny bit of afternoon shade, but still over 7 hours of sun a day as located. I think it's a lovely tea, definitely worth growing from what my visits indicate. She is in a coastal spot too, but I could see it doing well inland.

Jay

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Oh, I am happy to endorse G. Nabonnand.

He was rather slow to get going -- probably because he insisted on blooming like mad. But once he hit his stride, he began to grow vigorously, and is now quite a large plant. Oh, but very much open and airy in habit, and graceful in the garden.

He's one of the roses I can depend upon to bloom in the greyest parts of winter -- and the blooms are set off by perfect foliage in all seasons. I do value that.

In my garden, the blooms are usually on the pale side, and make me think of opals. I love this rose. (Never met a Nabonnand rose I didn't love.)

Jeri

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

I'm with Jeri on the Nabonnands (and Cochets) and G. Nabonannd. Very beautiful here, very graceful. No disease at all. I'm humid thoughâ¦Southeast.
    Susan

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I was looking at G Nabonnand yesterday, I would say he is more like 9 inches tall and 18 inches wide. Like Jeri said he seems to spread more than grow tall. But what lovely color foliage with those blooms.

I counted 6 mini buds yesterday, I really would like to take pictures so I guess I am going to be getting dirty.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again. It's hard to ignore Gilbert N.
    Sylvia

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Yeah, Susan, but my conditions couldn't be more different from yours. Doing well in both -- Good recommendation, I think!

Jeri

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

I live in Richmond, in the North Bay, and although it took 4 years for my Mme. Berkeley to take off, it was well worth the wait. She is the healthiest Tea in my garden, and the variation of hues she shows is a welcome addition to my Tea collection.
    Mme. Antoine Mari' does get more p.m. here than any other Tea, I;m careful not to sprinkle her with water.
    There is a huge Mme. Wagram at Morcom Amphitheatre of roses in Oakland. It's on rootstock and was more than 8' x8' the last time I saw it. I love Teas for their "exquisite delicacy" of bloom, and Mme. Wagram just doesn't do anything for me. The blooms appear clumsy to me, and I suspect it leans a bit towards a H.T. lineage.
    The white sport of Duchess de Brabant usually blooms as white overlaid with blush pink, if you want a dependably white rose I'd suggest Westside Road Cream Tea' as it is disease resistant (locally) and fragrant. It matures at c. 4 and 1/2 feet wide and tall.
    Or Mrs. Herbert Stevens, a Tea-Hybrid, which was bred from the exquisite 'Niphetos' , which means "snowy". Niphetos was a greatly admired white Tea in the mid-1800's.

please ask me If you want to know about any of the other Teas I've grown, in the Bay area :
    Angels Camp Tea
    Comtesse Emmeline de Guigne ( I highly recommend for beauty and disease resistance, here)
    Ducher (china-Tea) cannot recommend, it suffered terribly from p.m, defoliated and never produced more than 5-7 blooms in a flush.
    Monsieur Tillier grows very quickly, is disease resistant , here.
    Mrs. B.R. Cant grows very quickly, but is not floriferous unless pruned well after it blooms.

Clementina Carbonieri (colors frizzle in heat, needs to be grown on an north facing wall, where I live.
    Alexander Hill Gray
    Alliance Franco Russe
    Lady Hillingdon
    Le Pactole
    Mme. Franziska Kruger
    Rosette Delizy
    Mrs. Dudley Cross
    Souvenir de Pierre Notting
    Georgetown Tea ( horribly afflicted with b.s and p.m..

Tea-Noisettes
    Reve d'Or can be easily grown self supporting and is a very nice plant when done so, as well as a climber.
    Marachal Niel ( died after I pampered it for three years, it needs to be on rootstock, which I hope to try next year)
    Lamarque
    Mme. Alfred Carriere

Lux.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Here's my most recent picture of Gilbert Nabonnand. Very lovely, with some apricot besides pink.

Jay

Original Author
    9 years ago

More and more information about so many beautiful roses..
    Luxrosa, your list is mouth-watering. Mrs. Dudley Cross is another I was considering.
    Lady Hillingdon is a possibility. A yellow rose would look good against the brick/burgundy walls. I thought a pink or white might be better, though, as a bridge to a blue-purple garden to the north. The apricot in G Nabonnand ... I dunno.
    Thanks, everyone! This forum is priceless.
    Sylvia

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Very nice Jay

I am loving my baby G Nabonnand. It has spread out even bigger and still budding buds. And what lovely buds they are