Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID on 2 potential OGR's ?

Posted by shmooey 7B Seattle (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 0:25

Well, ive tried all season and im still stumped on both of these! So i turn to gardenweb forums once again :)

Subject #1 Very big rambler cascading down a giant cement retaining wall (photo is looking up at the plant from below). Extremely symmetrical and orderly looking blooms, 1.5 to 2 inches across, strong fragrance, Dark rich pink. And a once bloomer. Colors seem hot in photos because they were taken with phone.

IMG_0983

IMG_0906

Subject #2
Big fat meaty blooms, center of the bloom was a dark fuchsia and the edges were rich deep purple. the photos are TOTALLY WRONG COLORS. I was desperate to snap what i could though! Quite fragrant, stuffed with petals, and amazing velvety purple colors. This particular bloom was about 3 inches across. The only thing i can think of is maybe Charles de Mills, but never having seen it in person, i cant be sure.

Once again- colors are wrong on these photos!
IMG_0979
IMG_0981

Anyone take a stab? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID on 2 potential OGR's ?

The first one reminds me of Russelliana (Russel's Cottage Rose). Do the leaves smell of pine? That's supposed to be one of its characteristics.

The second one does look like pictures I've seen of Charles de Mills, but there may be other old roses with a similar appearance. Others will have much more experience with the European old roses.

Ingrid

o

Considering the leaves, I suspect both are David Austin varieties, although I can't name them.

o

Considering Malcolm's suggestions, you might check out 'Chianti' and 'Falstaff'.

o

Would Charles de Mills ever get as much blackspot as #2 shows?

Wow, the closeup of #1 is remarkably beautiful!

o

Center is totally not typical of Charles de Mills. Usually it has a 'hole' where the stamens should be. I've seen photos of ones that were deliberately starved in an attempt to produce stamens and therefore pollen, but the rest of this rose looks fine.

Austins were the first thing I thought of also.

o

Also, unless all of these were photographed in the spring, they're likely not Russelliana or any Gallica. Them Austins crop up in the oddest places. Our group was fooled by one at a historic church in an old mining town in the Sierra Foothills. :-)

Jeri

o

I was wondering about the Hybrid Bourbon 'Charles Lawson', which I think grows in Olympia, but apparently the flowers of these are too dark. How about another member of that group?

o

These were actually both photographed in the spring, and they never re bloomed later in the year. It is an awful lot of black-spot for the purple one, so early in the season too... I didn't even think about that.

Some photos of Charles Lawson certainly do match the form, but the color, obviously, is much to dark. I will try and do some digging in that vein though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here