Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

I'm Becoming Garden-Obsessed

I think it's because, after a horribly hot and dry summer which for me was filled with fear and distress of what the future might hold, it's now finally cooler and there have been foggy and dewy mornings, and the roses suddenly look so much better. Even without rain, although with a lot of attention from me, most of them have new growth and I'm seeing buds and blooms after what seems like a very long time.

It's really strange that cooler temperatures, and feeling much more comfortable because of them, can cause one to feel hope again, in spite of the niggling voice in the background that still believes we're all going to hell in a hand basket. All I want to think about is making the garden look beautiful as quickly as possible, with lots of bloom and fragrance, and the enchantment and happiness that I was afraid I might not feel again.

I'm drip-watering the rosemary, crape myrtles, butterfly bushes and other shrubs to bring them back to health until the rains come. I feel very good about the roses I have left. They may have looked awful but they did survive the summer, although I culled some that looked the least promising in order to conserve water. I can't wait to see the garden in bloom again. There's a feeling of well-being associated with that which nothing else can equal. I'm going to enjoy each and every moment for as long as it lasts.

Ingrid

Comments (13)

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 years ago

Ditto Melissa! Glad you've got something to hope for again, Ingrid.

Trish.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I'm glad you're finding some positive signs in your garden, Ingrid! I'm finding ways to adopt my gardening obsession to less water hungry ways. Lord knows it needs to be satisfied somehow! Replacing potted fuchsias, begonias, sarracenia, and others with succulents or other less thirsty plants is well under way. Culling certain roses in favor of more drought tolerant shrubs, perennials, bulbs, and annuals primarily from South Africa, Oceania, and California is quite fun in its own right provided one isn't SPing beloved varieties. There are a bevy of genera I'm beginning to get a lot of enjoyment out that really are ideal for this area and can't succeed many other places.

I don't grow varieties of all of these, but Correa, Leucadendron, Grevillea, Phyllica, Lessertia, Psoralea, Salvia, Agave, Aloe, Lewisia, Echeveria, Stapelia, Ceanothus, Moraea, Ixia, plus many others are growing on me. And that's without grasses, sedges, trees, and many types of bulbs I'm forgetting. That said, focusing on and consolidating resources towards a lesser number of roses could definitely result in better performance among those remaining varieties. I did some culling for my mom this weekend (a few Austins and HTs weren't making the cut on the water schedule enacted this summer) and was able to start on some very vibrant, low water replacement plantings featuring several of the genera I mentioned above. The link is a picture of a muti-tiered hanging basket holder full of succulents I put together for her. Things aren't quite as green as they were a few years ago, but a lot of plants are looking better as fall temps settle in.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Succulent Hanging Basket

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 3:37

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you feel better Ingrid. I do too. So do our roses. We'll see another beautiful spring.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had to smile at your comment, Melissa. For sure I was obsessed before but this year so far my obsession was in abeyance. It's good to have it back again.

Not being a fan of caci and succulents of most types, it's going to be a bit of a challenge to fill in the empty spots where the roses have gone on to greener pastures. I'm going to have to find some tough perennials to put there. Having said that, Jay, your three-tier arrangement is very charming. It looks perfect in that location.

Pam, I believe you're right. We're going to have some good months and I'm going to take scads of pictures. It's been a real comfort to look at the hundreds of pictures in the My Garden file which I've taken over the years. Looking at them it's difficult to believe it's the same garden, but it motivates me to have it look that way again.

Ingrid

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

As recently as a year ago I would have said the same thing about not being a fan of succulents, Ingrid! I'm still not really a fan of cacti, but just giving some succulents a shot, seeing the astounding variety available, and appreciating how low maintenance they are got me to a point where I am quite interested in succulents on the whole.

Succulents can be incorporated rather wonderfully into mixed borders if spaced correctly with attention to drainage, fertilizer, and exposure needs. I'm certainly not abandoning roses any time soon, but I am more captivated than ever by plants I dismissed as boring not too long ago both due to my ever-shifting tastes and desire to lower the water bill a bit. I still get bit by the rose envy bug when I see a beautiful variety previously unknown to me, but I'm getting better at tempering the "need" to have every rose I enjoy.

Jay

• Kippy
    9 years ago

It seems like the garden is waking up after a dry summer rest here.

Belinda's Dream and Janet are having big flushes. They are in shadier spots so they are first. Sweet Chariot is in a warmer area but is very happy and loaded with sweet scented blooms

I took my 15 month old grandson with me great grandmas today to pot up some 1g's to 2g. Starting him early as a gardener. He helped put some potting soil on other plants and water them with a watering can. We also put in 5 roses and he helped pat down the soil. Very cute to watch him and I hope he learns to enjoy gardening as he grows.

Jesse Hildreth has an open bud. Could not help my self. So does Anna Jung.

Baby Mel's Heritage has one too.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy, don't hesitate to post pictures. Would love to see Jesse Hildreth when she has more open blooms. Janet is another rose I'd really like to see; not many people grow this rose. I'll forever regret discarding her rather than moving her to a better place. I would know better now. Anna Jung and Sweet Chariot would be lovely to see too. You seem to have a very nice assortment of roses.

Jay, I may have to change my mind about succulents. I have a very dry sunny area where some roses failed to thrive, and it would be nice to have low-care, low water plants there that can be more or less ignored but will still be decorative. It's worth exploring.

Ingrid

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

If you want a shrubbier, less succulent look, there are a bevy of wonderful low water shrubs, sub-shrubs, and perennials that can handle a LOT of sun I have come across. I wouldn't want a whole garden full of only succulents, but spots here or there can add easy year round color and interesting textures. I've mostly been using them in containers, but I've been putting them towards the front of some mixed borders. The bigger issue with a lot of these plants is tenderness. Many will just die when it reaches the twenties and are set back by temps in the thirties so they are primarily promoted near the coast. I'm not sure what the winter lows are in your area, Ingrid, but I'd be happy to come up with some interesting, high heat/sun tolerance plants that may work well for your vacant area.

Aloe tomentosa, Aeonium urbicum, Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder', Leucadendron discolor 'Pom Pom, Lessertia montana, and Phyllica pubescens were some I utilized this past weekend. They all have lower water needs and have various points of interest. Phylica in particular works well here if it has excellent drainage because it's indigenous to fairly alkaline conditions.

Jay

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jay, it hasn't gotten lower than the forties in the last few years so I don't think too much winter chill is an issue. I'd love to have suggestions from you about water-thrifty plants that don't get too large.

Ingrid

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

Jay, I just wanted to say I really like your tiered succulents. They look fantastic :)

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

My succulents do quite well in the cold and we will get down near the teens at least once each winter. We also get in the mid 20's for several weeks which always has the citrus farmers up all night. I have covered my citrus trees but have done nothing with my succulents and they have done very well. Roger's Gardens in Corona Del Mar has a lot of them and they can be quite beautiful. So if you are ever up that way a stroll through their beautiful gardens is certainly worth the trip.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the cooler weather. My roses continue to put out a very nice fall bloom especially Munstead, Lady Alexandra and Pretty Jessica.

• Jenny Leerskov
    6 years ago

Does anyone has Lessertia montana seeds for trade? I'd love to grow this beautiful plant.