Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duchesse_nalabama

older hybrid teas

duchesse_nalabama
16 years ago

Which of these do you grow and how do you like them?

My only older hybrid tea is Chrysler Imperial, grafted, which is two years old and has bloomed all summer, has had no problems and smells wonderful. I wouldn't mind adding a few more ht's if they were as great as CI...

Comments (37)

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PS, I'm not a rose snob; I have some moderns I like a lot too.I'm just curious about the older ht's that you might have and could recommend. Thanks for all comments.

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

I treasure Mrs. Aaron Ward (1907 Pernet-Ducher). My plant from Vintage is bombproof, blooms several times throughout the season and is only a year old. I expect great things of her. On the other hand, Paul Barden gave me a mature MAW that he was removing from his beds because of dreadful blackspotting and it remains so in my garden. The caveat? Leaves, canes and blooms look different on the two plants, I don't know his source (Paul?), and until mine is older, I won't know if they're the same plant. At this point, I highly recommend the Vintage clone.

Luanne could tell you worlds about Mrs. Charles Bell (1917 Mrs. C.J. Bell). She recommended this rose and I fell in love with it in her garden where it blooms exquisitely. I'm sure you've seen her photos on the Gallery. I bought mine this year and have had just a few blooms from the new plant, no disease at all, appears vigorous, also from Vintage.

Snowbird (1936 Hatton) is a beauty - white, white blend, very vigorous and healthy. Here's a photo.
    {{gwi:314442}}

Sue

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Just a few that I had and I didn't or don't have many.

September morn - I rooted this rose from a butting I got from debbie in CA. It promised to be gorgeous, the first bloom (despite a vegetative center) was sooo fragrant that I just could not believe it. Then, from one day to the next died I couldn't figure it out why. Sooner or later I must replace it, it is just so wonderful.
    Another loss of the same type Mme Jules Bouche It was also a rooted cutting, grew well, bloomed several times, I was about to transplant into the ground and a torrential rain drowned her.

Grace darling - gorgeous pink and fragrant; one of the first to bloom; low growing. It can ball in wet weather but from now on, I will spray the buds with a calcium solution so I will enjoy her blooms not just in spring and fall.

Snowbird - low growing white. after a slow start bloomed well this year; foliage is surprisingly clean.

Mrs, Sam McGredy was a beauty but weak constitution and died in her second year - no idea why.

Mrs. Sam McGredy the climber - fragrant, apricot, pink, soft orange with yellow hue at base.

Are Baronne Edmond de Rothschild and maria Callas qualified as 'older' hybrid teas?

Invitation - salmon pink with yellow and soft orange hues; sinfully fragrant

• melissa_thefarm
    16 years ago

Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one interested. I put out a similar thread a while back; you might want to check it out. I believe the Vintage catalog lists a large selection of older Hybrid Teas. (If you don't have the catalog I recommend shelling out to get it: it's a major source of information whether or not you ever intend to buy a rose from them.)

Melissa

• carla17
    16 years ago

Annie, I second the suggestion to get one of the Vintage catalogs, it's just great. I have done a post on old HT's too. Will look at e-mail and see if I have any saved.

Carla

• carla17
    16 years ago

Here are some: I don't grow any of these. I found these in my e-mail.

La France
    Nocturne
    Mirandy
    Papa Meilland
    Chrysler Imperial
    Crimson Glory
    Mojave
    Royal Highness
    Tiffany
    Red Radiance
    Radiance
    Mrs. Charles Bell
    Grace Darling

• User
    16 years ago

La France somtimes balls here but great fragrance one of my favorites! Oklahoma very similar fragrance to Chrysler Imperial, Mirandy 1 of Chrysler Imperial Parents I like the darker color slight nod to the blooms, Charles Malerin another deep red fragrant rose. Blooms shatter early but fragrant and beautiful Lady Mary Fitzwilliam.

• michaelg
    16 years ago

I have Radiance & it's a good rose with large, nodding, very fragrant flowers. Sports in deep pink, light pink, and stripes are available. Mme Butterfly was a weak grower that froze out in a moderate winter. It is one of many sports of Ophelia that defined the modern rose in the teens and twenties. They are very beautiful and fragrant, but probably best in zones 8-10. If you include the period 1950-75, there are probably 25 super-fragrant HTs that are satisfactory producers and not particularly hard to grow. Most of my HTs come from this group. Since then, it seems American breeders especially have not produced a lot of very fragrant HTs.

• oldblush
    16 years ago

Radiance, Red Radiance, Careless Love all do well on their own roots here in MS. They're all very disease resistant and drought tolerant. The fragrance is wonderful and remains throughout the heat of the day but the blooms sometimes burn a little during the heat of summer.
    One of my favorite older HTs is Lafter. It's about as tough as any rose I have but was a little slow to get started for me. Once it gets established it's trouble free and blooms it's head off.
    Joe enabled me with La France but I have yet to see a single bloom anywhere near the ones he posts pics of. My blooms either ball or are semi-double. I'll give it another year to win my favor but so far it has been a disappointment.

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

I grow a number of antique Hybrid Teas, and love them. I'm not in your zone, but thought I'd mention them...

My two favorites in the garden are September Morn and Augustine Guinoisseau. Wonderful blooms and fragrance, good repeat bloom.

Radiance has such a beautiful color, wonderful dark pink antique Hybrid Tea, excellent fragrance.

Ophelia and the sports are lovely as well.

Here are a few pics:

September Morn, (SM is in front, with Mme Pierre Oger and Mystic Beauty)

{{gwi:240561}}

Augustine Guinoisseau

{{gwi:314443}}

Here's a list of all that I grow,

Augustine Guinoisseau
    Georg Arends
    "Herzogin Viktoria Adelheid von Coberg-Gotha"
    La France
    Lady Sylvia
    Lady Ursula
    Mme Butterfly
    Mme Jules Boucher
    Ophelia
    Radiance
    Reichsprasident von Hindenburg
    September Morn
    "Viscountess of Kern"

Royal Highness is a beautiful Hybrid Tea from the seventies, outstanding fragrance as well.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Let me put in a plug for some of the early single HTs. Dainty Bess doesn't like it here, but where she is good, she is still very, very good.
    I grow 'Irish Fireflame,' which is resistant here to mildew and rust, and I have a young 'Mrs. Oakley Fisher,' which is coming on strong.

Jeri

• patricianat
    16 years ago

One of my favorite's is Tipsy the Imperial Concubine. I also had Ophelia, Madame B and Radiance, others, but as disease, cold, drought, hailstorms and RRD have become frequent visitors in this garden owned and sometimes operated by an old woman, I am eliminating either by choice or not, many roses, so I no longer grow many of them. But don't forget Granada. IT is nowhere near being the same decade I am but it is one that I don't want rosers to outgrow. Sutters Gold, Helen Hayes foliage, two of my favorites. Papa Meilland, Charles Mallerin, Fragrant Cloud. Tiffany's the best. Make yourself smile by growing Granada en masse. And make yourself happy by growing a whole bed of Tiffany en masse. Have a Garden Party, if you will.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Tipsy is my next one to getting along with Mme Butterfly in spring.
    I think I pass Reichsprasident von Hindenburg.

• neroseman
    16 years ago

I'd be interested in hearing how Krista deals with those old HTs for a Z4 winter(!)...

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Good question, NE Roseman. I coldn't get Ophelia and Tipsy the Imperial Concubine to make it through my winters. ):

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

Neroseman, I became very enabled into the antique Hybrid Teas when I saw a mass planting of Lady Ursulas at the Mills Rose Garden in Syracuse. (They don't seem to get more than 2 feet tall, but still a lovely compact bedding rose.)

I mound the base of the roses with mulch for the winter.

I use a lot of organic amendments to the soil, seems like the quality of the soil can make a difference.

• neroseman
    16 years ago

Krista clearly has a knack for growing these older HTs! In CT, hybrid tea growers often have to make "winter boxes" or use rose-cones. BTW, Krista, are there any of the old ramblers left that used to be on arches at the Mills Rose Garden?

• jim_w_ny
    16 years ago

I can't grow HT's a combination of soil and winter. But I'm intrigued by an old one, well relatively old, called Eclipse that bloomed during a solar eclipse in 1935. That was when J&P was in NY state. Still available from 3 nurseries.

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Eclipse has very slender yellow buds on slightly arching stems, opens fast. It was a standard yellow for a long time. Probably less hardy than average.

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

Neroseman, there are large, climbing type shrubs up at Mills, but I don't recall the names of them. For many of the roses I didn't see name tags.

The Mills Rose Garden website does list the roses grown there.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

'Comtesse Vandal' (1932) was very popular in the 1930s. Nice fragrance, quick repeat. 'Kaiserin Auguste Victoria' (1891), powerful fragrance, good so far. I have the climbing sport (1897). 'Royal Highness' (1962), a relative youngster, very elegant flower, good fragrance, poor disease resistance. 'Charlotte Armstrong' (1940), great vigor, nice fragrance, quick rebloom. Long elegant bud, big blowsy flower. 'Catalonia' (1933), strong fragrance, not much vigor so far, but a very willing bloomer.

'Peace' is 1942, 65 years ago--it's had quite a heyday, hasn't it?

• bluesibe
    16 years ago

I love older HTs. They have beauty, often not like their ancestors the teas, many have wonderful fragrance and look great in the garden. But, some are dawgs, and there was a reason they are no longer in commerce or they just don't do well in my Bay Area garden that is subject to rust and PM.

My best surprise this year is September Morn. Last year it was puny and did nothing, but this year ohlala, it produced an abundance of beautiful blooms that smelled like baby talcum powder. I never tired of looking at them.

{{gwi:242515}}

Of the reds, I love Oklahoma best from the mid Century. Mr. Lincoln has gone to that great balcony in the sky. Mrs. Louis LaPierre has just gotten better with age. It does get rust and PM, but it is able to combat the problems and produces stunning blooms that also stink. It is in a pot and I would love for a spot to open up in the ground somewhere. The best red, that I love almost as much as my huskies is cl. Etoile d'Holland. If you know me, you know that Etoile is tops. One of the few grafted roses in my garden, it pumps out blooms as if it was taking steroids for some olympic trial (and I barely fertilize).

Jadae, Numa Fay, Careless Love, Mrs. Charles Bell, Mrs. Lovell Swisher, Oh I can go on.

The beautiful old singles, colors and fragrance, if even slight.

Irish Fireflame

{{gwi:314444}}

One can not grow older HTs without the Pernitianas. Beautiful color shadings, with wonderful fragrance.

And again mid century. Amythyst, lovely mauve color with fragrance.

{{gwi:300476}}

Carol

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much for your generosity in sharing information and thoughts about your older ht's. I appreciate all the pictures and recommendatons and will check out the earlier threads that I missed reading.

• neroseman
    16 years ago

Yes, Carol, 'Cl.Etoile de Hollande' has the most terrific fragrance, it literally knocks your socks off. And it's even winter-hardy in Z6a/5b (!)

• bluesibe
    16 years ago

Nerm, there is always a good reason why a rose becomes a classic and Etoile is one of the best.

Good to see you again!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Oh, yeah and Deep Secret.

• peachiekean
    15 years ago

I have Vesuvius from 1923. Someone suggested it to me here on GW. I'ts a pretty color and is a non stop bloomer.
    Also acquired Chrysler Imperial when I got my garden. It's so fragrant. Cannot find a picture tho.
    {{gwi:305020}}

• bellegallica
    15 years ago

Several posts mention 'Radiance.' I bought this one recently. Took pictures of the first bloom this morning. It's a keeper for now because so far--knock on wood--it's proven to be relatively blackspot resistant.

But the fragrance is a bit disappointing. It's definitely old rose, but only moderate for me. Also, I can only detect it in the morning. By the time I get home from work, it's gone. I'm hoping it will become more fragrant as it matures.

The pictures don't really capture it's true beauty. There is something more to it in person.

{{gwi:314445}}

{{gwi:314446}}

• mendocino_rose
    15 years ago

I have tons of them and couldn't list them all. Some of my favorites have been listed already. The HTs from the 20s and 30s I find have a particular charm. I love the long buds and soft blooms, This would be roses like Padre, Mrs. Nicholas Aussel, Audie Murphy. Mrs. Henry Morse and Madame Caroline Testout are 2 of my favorites of other decades.

• jerome
    15 years ago

I don't have that many older HTs, but the ones here that do well for me are:

Mrs. Lovell Swisher (a stupendous rose, a wonderful looking plant)
    Condesa de Sastago - I had 4...two were really unhappy in their location and gave up the ghost, 2 are really happy where they're planted and are huge and floriferous.
    Lemon Spice - not as old, but still earlier...wonderful wonderful rose.
    The Doctor - small so far but wonderful flowers.

These three are very nice here.

• jerome
    15 years ago

I forgot about Peace...I have Peace too, and from Hoovb's clone, which she rooted for me. Still a baby but looking really good so far.

• duchesse_nalabama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is such wonderful information - thanks to all of you for adding your favorites. Please don't stop! Gean Ann

• rosyjennifer
    15 years ago

Hi. I have purchased many older HT's. I generally get suckered in by fragrance descriptions, so most of what I have was purchased w/ fragrance in mind. I have lost some due to winter cold and others have been just very feeble and have just faded away.

Aside from the Radiance clan, in Maryland's hot humid weather most get BS as often as modern roses - maybe more often. Here's what i have in no particular order ** are particular favorites for fragrance and repeat:

Julia's Rose
    Governor Roselini ** nice sweet fragrance,amazing repeat
    Legendary - poor repeat, only 2 yrs old, though
    Heart's Desire - wonderful, very tender, died 2nd winter
    Radiance **
    Red radiance **
    Song of Paris
    The Doctor** Amazing color, fragrance, bloom size!!! very tender, died in winter, Must reorder!
    Enchantress
    Catalonia
    Clair de Lune - ** very nice fragrance and color! tender
    Gruss an Coberg - smells like beer to me...
    Papa Meilland - simply the best in every way
    September Morn **
    Sutter's Gold - **
    Ophelia
    Erotika **
    Herzogin...
    My Choice
    Dame Edith Helen
    Invitation ** fragrant, very fast repeat
    Grace de Monaco ** a must have, super huge blooms, very fragrant, saw in Vintage Garden's garden and HAD to have.
    Cymbeline - not an old HT, but an old Austin that I fear will be lost - one of my favorites for color, form and fragrance, great over a short arch
    Sunday Lemonade **
    Talisman - just faded away... lovely, though
    Catalonia - also faded away after a harsh winter

That's all I can remember for now... : )

These are very new ones from last season's order, so I'm still evaluating:
    Betty Uprichard
    Lady Luck
    Mme Jules Bouche
    Mrs. Wakefield C.M.
    Tally Ho
    Lili Marlene - slight fragrance, but very BS resistant so far - really taking off for a new band.
    Mission Bells

Hope this helps!

feel free to email w/ any ??
    Jennifer

• patrickd_nc
    15 years ago

I am also very happy with Invitation, especially the fragrance. Mission Bells is also well worth trying.

Patrick

• redbirds
    15 years ago

Oh, some of these are so cool. Is Cl.Etoile de Hollande healthy, as well? I have to have tough old birds, since I don't spray. It seems like a lot of these older HT's are pretty hardy, is that usually the case?

• rosyjennifer
    15 years ago

I can't wait for my Mission bells to bloom for the first time. I got it late last fall and the 10 inch plant has 5 or 6 big buds on it now.

How BS resistant is it patrickd?

• patrickd_nc
    15 years ago

Jennifer, I have found Mission Bells to be pretty solid for disease resistance for an HT. In other words, definitely not a total disaster, and in fact better than average, but I have not grown it no-spray. I do however get quite lazy about spraying at times.

Patrick