Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitasacramento

Propagation Wish List for Sacramento Cemetery?

anitasacramento
9 years ago

It just occurred to me that I should ask if anybody would like for us to propagate something specific from the Sacramento Cemetery for next year's Open Garden plant sale on April 18. We are aiming to offer some roses that we haven't had on our list for a while. We try not to propagate roses that are readily commercially available on the west coast, so if Burling or Rogue Valley Roses offer it, we probably won't.

So, if there's anything you'd like, let me know soon. No promises, of course. And no, we don't ship roses!
Anita

Comments (27)

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I bet you will get a lot of requests. Mine is the Barfield White Climber.

• anitasacramento
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Adding it to the list, Pamela! For any of you who aren't familiar with our garden and its roses, here is a link to our catalog -
    Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic Rose Garden Catalog

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I thought I would spend some quality time with your list and HMF and see but Lady Roberts seems to be hard to find as is Anna Oliver if that is Schmidts Buff Giant And one the I loved and had to order from ARE was Gen Schablikine.

And maybe getting the word out that some of these older roses are more drought friendly than regular nursery offerings will help garden sales

• jerijen
    9 years ago

But there is a GREAT Lady Roberts in the cemetery -- and you're right, Kippy -- that IS one they should propagate.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I would second Anna Olivier - I get inquiries about it occasionally, and people can't find it.

I love the pics of Lady Roberts, so I got one from the Cemetery last year. It is planted right next to one of my Anna Oliviers. However, it has just sat there. It grew maybe 2 new leaves and then just stopped, and now it is going backwards. I am frustrated, as all of my Anna Olivers are very vigorous, and I thought it was a sport of that rose.

Jackie

• ffff
    9 years ago

Duc de Cambridge, please! It hardly exists on the west coast, and seems to only be in commerce in North America for about a week a year. I rarely drive to Sacramento, but for that I'd make an exception.

• anitasacramento
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We've stuck most of these roses - wish us luck! I didn't remember your request for Roseville Noisette, Jeri - and I meant to take Setzer Noisette - so will have to add them.

Normally, this is as late in the year as we propagate for our April sale but we are being allowed to use the Cosumnes River College greenhouse with tented misting table and bottom heat. Some of the roses already have a half inch of root in just two weeks. Wow!

We are going to write an article about what we've learned through this process, probably publishing it in the March 2015 newsletter. It's been very interesting.
    Anita

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Well, Setzer is a good one, too -- because it's such a mannerly pillar climber. I've always thought it would look lovely to have Setzer flocked by informal hedges of Roseville -- Blooms so very similar -- habits so different.

How about "Benny Lopez"?

Jeri

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I think you could also sell out Florence Bowers but guessing that is too young to propagate

I love "Ladyfingers" I would buy that one

Sounds like you have some nice ones started but I would love to hear about:

Spring Street Peppermint
    Alice Hamilton Not
    44th Street Tricolor
    Camptonville Cemetery Noisette
    Columbia Courtyard Tea
    Cream Pink
    Giannini Tea
    Pale Buff Tea
    Soccoro House Lavender

I could probably keep you busy asking about the roses listed til the same so I will stop,...for now

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

My general wish list would be:

Anna Olivier
    Benny Lopez
    Cels Multiflora
    Champion of the World
    Dawn Crest
    Dr. Rouges
    La Nymph
    Mlle. Blanch Lafitte
    Natchitoches Noisette
    Old Town Novato
    R. minutifolia (Could sell its drought resistance very easily)
    Regulus
    Tina Marie
    Westside Road Cream Tea

If I were to keep it to five, I'd pick Tina Marie, Mlle. Blanche Lafitte, Dawn Crest, Anna Olivier, and Old Town Novato.

Jay

• belmont8
    9 years ago

Am I too late?

Is it true you have a bush form of Aimée Vibert? I know somebody who wants that and I would buy it for him.

Also:
    Blanchefleur
    Carnea Plena
    Wooley-Dod's Rose
    E Veyrat Hermanos/Pillar of Gold
    Spinelsss Chestnut
    R. arkansana 'Peppermint'

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Good point about R. arkansana 'Peppermint' -- I've had it for years, and I love it.

Anita, I'm thinking your Dawn Crest may be mature enough to provide cuttings? It's a wonderful wonderful rose.

Jeri

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I think you should also propagate Yesterday's Garden, the Moore hybrid Rugosa. In the SoCal climates, it flowers year round and has been completely disease free. It's a very good landscape plant. Being seed sterile here, you can dead head it with a hose. It isn't commercially available anywhere and it is worth preserving. From personal experience, it is EXTREMELY easy to root. Kim

This post was edited by roseseek on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 13:43

• anitasacramento
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I'll be adding a few more roses to our list, thanks to this. It's heartening to know that there are still old rose lovers dreaming of adding to their collections!

Kippy has focused on some of our newer found roses. I thought she (and others) would enjoy knowing a bit about them -
    1.Florence Bowers does seem great but yes, our plant is quite young. We may be able to propagate some of it.
    2.Ladyfingers hasn't bloomed for us yet and I don't know whether it's going to amount to much. Thin, wiry canes - once-bloomer. Jeri, what was the possible id of this?
    3.I wouldn't wish Spring Street Peppermint on anybody. Mildew and rampant growth, much like Dorothy Perkins. Great name, though.
    4.I really like Alice Hamilton NOT but we've had trouble selling it. Gregg Lowery says that it seems like just another Old Blush to him. I think it's different and nicer than OB. DNA studies say that many of the pink Chinas (including Archduke Charles, which seems incredible to me) are sports of OB. The testing that has been done thus far shows no genetic variation between them, I understand. So perhaps both Gregg and I are right - it could be a sport of OB, but different characteristics.
    5. 44th St. Tricolor is a poly that may be Ellen Poulsen, Fred Boutin says. In a relatively shady spot in the cemetery, it has never displayed the range of colors that it did in the garden where we collected it.
    6.Camptonville Cemetery Noisette doesn't get much attention from us - just another big basic white noisette. We should observe it more closely and compare it to others that we grow. Overall, I prefer Roseville Noisette because it stays small.
    7. We lost Columbia Courtyard Tea. Fred Boutin is going to take cuttings of it for us to try again.
    8.Giannini Tea is too young to take cuttings from but it is fabulous. A fairly bright yellow for a tea and a lovely plant. May be Perle de Jardins.
    9. Cream Pink is yet another Madame Lombard. Sorocco House Lavender may be, too, although it seems a bit more purplish-toned.
    10.We don't give Pale Buff Tea much attention, either, but I think that we should take some cuttings of it. A nice tea, no disease, blooms well in some shade - and it would be lovely for others to grow it and maybe have an idea of its identity. I'll take cuttings of it!

Jay, we are working on four of your top five already and I will look to see what else we can add. R minutifolia struggles to survive in our garden so that is not an option. I've seen it robust and lovely in San Diego. La Nymphe is a mildewy thing in our climate, alas.

Jeri, we do have some Benny Lopez in the works. And Dawn Crest.

And ffff (whoever you are!) we'll get some Duc de Cambridge started. It's one that suckers and we will dig some up.

Kim, our Yesterday's Garden is not much of a rose. No fragrance and hangs onto its dead flowers forever, although they probably are easy to pick or blast off. Must be better in SoCal. Also, ours is in quite a bit of shade. In its favor, it stays fairly small and nicely shaped and is disease-free. I'll see about taking some cuttings of it, too, however.

I'll keep looking at your suggestions. Thanks everybody for taking time to comment.

Kippy, I was sorry that I didn't meet you at San Jose and hope to see you in Sacramento one of these days.

Remember, the fact that we are trying to propagate it doesn't guarantee plants on the sales table! We'll let you know what we actually have before Open Garden on April 18, 2015.

Anita

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

Lijiang Road Climber'

a Hybrid Gigantia that is bright pink and said to be well scented,
    does it re-bloom by any chance?
    --------------------
    Regulus' I always love a Tea, and to hope by the quote from helpmefind.com this has a "strong fragrance"
    --------------------------------
    I saw a white Moss at the cemetery several years ago and I long for it, I remember its' bloom had a deep throat, shaped rather like a trumpet lily. To my knowledge there is no word to describe that shape of rose blossom in Rosedom, or is there? It stood out for me for that reason whilst I puzzled over the plant.
    I want it badly,whatever its name.
    -----------------------------------------
    Silver Moon, would be lovely.
    --------------------------------------
    I remember the last time I was at a sac cem sale that many visitors were oohing and ahh-ing over 'Lanaii' which was in bloom.
    ----------------------------------------
    Grandmothers Hat, yes yes yes.

Luxrosa

• jerijen
    9 years ago

2.Ladyfingers hasn't bloomed for us yet and I don't know whether it's going to amount to much. Thin, wiry canes - once-bloomer. Jeri, what was the possible id of this?

*** KIM??? Please remind us.

3.I wouldn't wish Spring Street Peppermint on anybody. Mildew and rampant growth, much like Dorothy Perkins. Great name, though.

*** It is sad that the blooms on the mature plant in the cemetery didn't keep the bicolor characteristic that suggested the name. (But I will always think of the odd "hidden garden" that it came from, with a lilac by the door of a decrepit shack.)

4.I really like Alice Hamilton NOT but we've had trouble selling it. Gregg Lowery says that it seems like just another Old Blush to him. I think it's different and nicer than OB. DNA studies say that many of the pink Chinas (including Archduke Charles, which seems incredible to me) are sports of OB. The testing that has been done thus far shows no genetic variation between them, I understand. So perhaps both Gregg and I are right - it could be a sport of OB, but different characteristics.

*** AH! I think it has many of the characteristics of Old Blush ... with one very significant difference: IT DOES NOT MILDEW!
    'Old Blush' in any form mildews here like mad -- so do many of its first-generation descendants. But the 'Alice Hamilton' that I got from Vintage is clean as a whistle. It's quite vigorous, too, but. I like it A LOT.

6.Camptonville Cemetery Noisette doesn't get much attention from us - just another big basic white noisette. We should observe it more closely and compare it to others that we grow. Overall, I prefer Roseville Noisette because it stays small.

*** I really love "Roseville Noisette" It's disease-free, can be grown in a very large container, is fragrant, blooms a lot. Its only flaw is one shared with most of those cluster-flowering Noisettes. It finishes ugly. You HAVE to deadhead.

La Nymphe is a mildewy thing in our climate, alas.

*** YEAH. And La Nymph was a miserable mildewy mess in my coastal garden, as well.

Jeri, we do have some Benny Lopez in the works. And Dawn Crest.

*** GOOD!

• roseseek
    9 years ago

*** KIM??? Please remind us.

So far, the best candidate for an identity for Lady Fingers is Manda's Triumph. This rose was commercially available in California when the plant is suspected of being planted at Empire Mine. It appears to be capable of rebloom in the right conditions or climate. It needs to be grown with MT for a better comparison, but nothing else even comes close. Anyone want to fund a DNA test? KIm

Here is a link that might be useful: Manda's Triumph

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I love Jeri's photos of Ladyfingers and would love to test Manda's Triumph side by side BUT

No one in the USA lists Manda's Triumph.

The later photos of Ladyfingers remind me of my Vintage mystery rose, who is rampantly taking over its corner of the world....now to see if it blooms in the spring.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

If you're interested in Lady Fingers cuttings, Kippy, I have access to them in about two weeks from someone I passed a plant of it on to. Kim

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thank you, Anita. I honestly believe we're missing a chance with Yesterday's Garden. As you've experienced, it is clean, it flowers a lot and it remains tidy in its habit. It IS a Rugosa hybrid, so it has that interest, even for people who are more "educated" or selective in their rose selections. It definitely seems to be one which should be added to a garden, or even just a basic landscape for carefree color. It was very good in my old Newhall garden. My only negative about it was it wouldn't set seed nor was there any real pollen to work with. Otherwise, it did what it was supposed to do and was pretty doing it. Who wouldn't enjoy a rose you can deadhead with a hose or by shaking the plant with a stick? I'm glad you're going to propagate it. Thank you! Kim

• jerijen
    9 years ago

The charms of the soi disant 'Alice Hamilton' are many -- FWIW. She's completely disease-free here, blooms like mad, and grows vigorously.

DISEASE FREE for this one means NO MILDEW -- which plagues 'Old Blush' in my garden.

I don't care what it is, I love it.

Jeri

• anitasacramento
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeri, I hope that the cemetery's Alice Hamilton is in bloom when you visit. I want you to take a close look at it because I wonder if the plant that Jim Delahanty got from Ralph Moore under that name is the same as the one that you have, imported by Vintage from France. The Nabonnand group in France has said that the rose in commerce there is definitely not the original Alice Hamilton, but the thing that I'm wondering about is whether we have one imposter or two different ones.

I'd also like for you to check our Jesse Hildreth to confirm that it is the same as yours.
    Anita

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Anita. I think we did meet in San Jose. But I got lost in the roses with my camera.

I hope to make it this year, the garden weekend is the same weekend as my son and his wife's birthday weekend the past couple of years. But they are thinking of a trip to Hawaii so hopefully I can make it up

I would love to get "Alice Hamilton Not" and "Buff Colored Tea" along with some of the others mentioned.

Thank you for the information on all of those teas I had not heard or read about.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Anita, I'll look forward to seeing your 'Alice Hamilton.' I have wondered for a while now -- whether there might not be two imposters.

I'll say again tho -- This thing I have is a GREAT rose for my garden. I don't care what it is. It likes me!

Jeri

Oh, Jesse . . . I'll look again, but I'm pretty sure it's Jesse.

• priscilla_ca
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Speaking of Jesse, I would love to have one. I was going to San Jose in hopes of buying one after seeing Jeri's pics, but couldn't make it this year.
    Also:
    Niles Cochet
    Le Pactole
    I'm probably too late with a wish list, but just in case...

Thanks!
    Priscilla

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Priscilla -- The Cemetery probably won't have enough material to propagate Jesse Hildreth this coming spring.

Niles Cochet, though, and Le Pactole, are great suggestions!

Jeri