Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Mme. Dore, Romaggi Plot Borboun, Queen Nefertiti

These are my latest acquisitions from Vintage and I'm very excited about these roses. Can anyone tell me about them? Queen Nefertiti is an Austin that no longer meets with Mr. Austin's approval but the picture on Vintage was so beautiful and I understand it's a good rose for a hot, dry climate. I don't know anything about Romaggi Plot Bourbon but decided to take a chance on it since it's a small Bourbon, which is all I have room for, and I really enjoy growing the unknown roses. Mme. Dore is also a small Bourbon that I know little about.

Ingrid

Comments (19)

• hartwood
    14 years ago

I'm in Virginia, but Romaggi Plot Bourbon is fabulous for me. It is one of the best blooming roses of any of my Bourbons ... I love it! A nice manageable plant with good foliage (I spray for BS), and lots of pale pink flowers. SDLM balls here in the spring, and I don't remember RPB ever doing that.

{{gwi:314573}}

Queen Nefertiti and Mme. Dore are new for me, too. I look forward to hearing what others have to say about them.

Connie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Connie, thank you so much for the information and the beautiful photograph. Fortunately I don't have a BS issue and knowing that it blooms so profusely and well for you is welcome news.

Ingrid

• paparoseman
    14 years ago

I have had both Madame Dore and Romaggi Plot for years so this should help. Mme. Dore never gets taller than four and a half feet tall and maybe three and a half wide. This rose tends to be much like an upright floribunda complete with clustered blooms. The blooms are 3 inches plus wide and come in good flushes much like SDLM. The scent is fantastic, sweet like there is sugar added.

Romaggi Plot is a very small bourbon, mine never gets over two feet tall. It tends to get cane die back after the bloom cycle is done. The die back is not severe, it just keeps the canes from getting tall. The stems of spent blooms will give your fingers a scent of pepper and some pine after the blooms are long gone.

Ropmaggi Plot enjoys getting fed well and should not be left without water if you want a good rose show. The rebloom is very fast with frequent watering, less water just reduces the bush to infrequent flushes of bloom.

Lance

Original Author
    14 years ago

Lance, I really appreciate your extremely helpful post. I wanted smaller roses so these two seem to really fit the bill. I always water well and fertilize with alfalfa so these roses should like my garden. They both sound wonderful and I can't wait for them to grow and bloom for me.

Ingrid

• labrea_gw
    14 years ago

I recieved Romaggi Plot Bourbon as a gift from CarolFM for which I'm ever grateful. Indeed a small bourbon I love the variations in the pink shading of the small blooms.

• anntn6b
    14 years ago

My first QN was an underperformer from Park/Wayside that never reached the size of the rose of the same name at the ARS gardens in Shreveport.
    Once I saw what QN could be, I decided to try one from Pickering. Yes, you guessed it, the Pickering Queen N was as good as the one in LA.
    Grown up size of the good ones maxes at three feet and the bushes are taller than wide.

Many of the Austins I got from ParkWayside at that time showed RMV leaf symptoms and failed (miserably) to thrive. QN didn't show the leaf patterns, but definitely was less productive than the same plant on multiflora rootstock which always has been good in my soil. It showed no tendency to go own root.

• paparoseman
    14 years ago

Ingrid I posted two pictures of Romaggi Plot on help me find. They are under ducatti992. I have a bunch of pictures on my FB page.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Lance, the picture of the bloom of Romaggi Plot on HMF is to die for. Absolutely exquisite. For some reason I couldn't find you on Face Book, which I imagine FB stands for. At any rate I can't wait to get a gorgeous bloom like yours.

Ann, my rose is own root from Vintage so it may be smaller than yours but I'm hoping the blooms will be as beautiful as I've seen on pictures. The Austins seem to like my dry climate and even the heat hasn't killed them yet. I'm hoping for the best.

Ingrid

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of Romaggi from my SJHRG posting. A beautiful little rose.

Masha

{{gwi:217977}}

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

Here's what I can tell you about Queen Nefertiti. It is one of the tinyest roses in my garden, less than two feet(own root). The blooms are pretty but I think it would be better on the deck with my minis in pots.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Masha, thanks again for the lovely photo. I'm so glad I ordered this rose.

Pam, I'm a little disappointed that you describe Queen Nefertiti as tiny but hope that with extra pampering mine, which is also own-root, will achieve an acceptable size. Fortunately, the spot I chose is better for a small rose, but I do hope the blooms will at least be large enough to make an impact. Time will tell. Thanks for the info.

Ingrid

• melva
    14 years ago

{{gwi:314575}}
    {{gwi:314575}}
    {{gwi:314578}}

Mine is not tiny....think the rose is four feet tall...I had it in a large pot and released it last fall..it is an own root from Vintage.
    {{gwi:314581}}

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Maybe QueenN is one of those roses that does better on its own roots.
    We had it, years ago, from Hortico, on multiflora.
    It more or less declined to grow here, and was eventually put out of its misery.

Jeri

Original Author
    14 years ago

Melva, thank you for the beautiful pictures of Queen Nefertiti. I love the subtle pink shading on the half-open blooms on the outside with the yellow-gold in the middle. Mine has continued to prosper and now has a tiny bud and a lot of new leaves. I think it likes me! I didn't even bother putting it in a pot, just stuck the band-size plant in the ground and it immediately started growing, as did Souvenir de la Malmaison next to it. I'm beginning to learn that for me bands that show good growth when they arrive can safely be planted in the ground after a few days while those that are a bit puny are better put in gallon containers. Those are in the minority but I really wish I'd thought of this before I planted Rival de Paestum and Mme. Lambard in the ground. I don't think they're very pleased with me at all. It's been a good lesson for me to learn. The wimpy SdlM Rouge which I DID plant in a pot is growing new leaves nicely.

Ingrid

• greybird
    14 years ago

Mme. Dore is a very small, slow grower here, about 2x2 in her third year, is easier shaded out by neighbors. But very sweet and healthy, well worth growing. Her neighbors are SdlM who have grown much faster. She is scheduled to be moved shortly.

Queen Nefertiti does not do well in my hot, dry climate. I tried this rose from two different sources, one died and the other is tenatively clinging to life. I got one, maybe two blooms per year from these plants. But these blooms were quite lovely, changeable with the weather.

Romaggi Plot Bourbon died within weeks of planting.

Original Author
    14 years ago

greybird, you've had some pretty bad experiences with "my" roses. Mme. Dore hasn't put on any new growth at all after having that spectacular bloom. Strangely enough as mentioned Queen Nefertiti likes my hot, dry climate. Of course I haven't had her very long and I'll know a lot more by next spring. My Romaggi Plot Bourbon looks all right but it also hasn't grown. So far my best Bourbons are the Souvenir de la Malmaison sports Mme. Cornelissen and Kronprinzessin Viktoria von Preussen who hit the ground running and grew and bloomed almost immediately.

Ingrid

• greybird
    14 years ago

Ditto on the SdlM family, all excellent here as well.

If you have not tried it, Stanwell Perpetual is wonderful in the hot and dry. It surpassed even SdlM as my best bloomer for the 100 days.

• bellegallica
    13 years ago

Thanks for the enabling on Romaggi Plot Bourbon. I had never heard of this one. After reading more here and checking it out at HMF, I decided to give it a try. It should arrive this week.

I love roses with scented stems. You also get that with Souvenir de la Malmaison and Reine des Violettes, and I think Maggie. Probably many more.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

*SIGH*!

I'm still looking for Mme. Dore. :(