Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meslgh

What complements Souvenir de la Malmaison

meslgh
10 years ago

What companion plants do you recommend for next to Souvenir de la Malmaison? I'm considering Salvia May Night, Artemisia Powis Castle, Geranium Rozanne, Agastache Desert Solstice, Agastache Blue Fortune, Buddleia Blue Chip, Yucca Color Guard, Gulf Muhly grass (and, and, and ...).

Also, which of these two roses would you choose to put near SDLM (with a companion between them): Kronprinzessin Viktoria or Francis Dubreuil/Barcelona? Or maybe similar situated near Belinda's Dream?

I saw the recent SDLM thread and found it useful, so thanks to all who posted there. I didn't want to hijack it with my related questions.

Comments (14)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

My SdlM has La France, Kronprinzessin Viktoria and an old Austin, Potter and Moore, near and behind it. The only companion plants I have near it are repeat-blooming irises and pelargonium in strong lavender pink which blooms almost constantly. It doesn't sound ideal, although it looks fine, but I would think blue, lavender and purple would set SdlM very well, as would white.

Ingrid

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Veronica, Salvia, Delphinium -- think contrasting form (vertical spires) and contrasting color (dark purple/blue), and they'll set each other off beautifully. Another idea is something lower-growing with dark foliage, like some kind of Heuchera or Sedum. And one more avenue would be a dark-red-flowered Dianthus, perhaps 'Sooty'.

:-)

~Christopher

• Thorntorn
    10 years ago

Salvia 'May Night' would be the best choice for in front of SDLM. Its generous repeat blooming characteristic, as long as it is deadheaded, and its deep blue/purple color would contrast very well with the light pink of SDLM.

Salvia May Night is one of the few perennials that sends up fresh basal growth throughout the growing season. Giving fresh flowers on stems from the ground up. Most perennials that 'repeat' bloom are really extending the blooming season by sending flowers up from lateral growth, not basal growth.

Salvia 'MN' is also extremely stiff stemmed, and rarely falls over in rain or wind as so many perennials do, as long as it is growing in full sun.

You may consider a white flowering perennial in addition to Salvia 'MN' for in front of SDLM. It is Achillea 'Ballerina', a shorter version of A. 'The Pearl', identical in all respects except for height. It is the same height as Salvia 'May Night.' Being a workhorse bloomer its color, white, is so very important in the garden. There are not enought white flowers incorporated in most otherwise well planned gardens. White flowers speak of elegance, refinement, purity, and relief from flowers which are bright and overstated. The color white/and other light colors, 'proceed, that is, they appear to be closer than they really are, while dark colors receed, looking farther away than they really are.

I also would recommend Belinda's Dream for behind SDLM, although repeating the pink of SDLM, it is a deeper pink, and would create a nice contrast with SDLM as well as giving the planting depth.

• meslgh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ingrid, thanks for sharing what you have around SDLM in your lovely garden. Which reblooming irises do you have?

Christopher, delphinium are out here, but that reminds me, larkspur! I don't know much about Veronica; I'll have to investigate. And I was thinking about Sedum Dragonsblood (am I remembering that correctly?).

Thornton, thanks for the guidance. I've read posts here about some people having issues with May Night flopping or not reblooming well, but I'm a sucker for that deep purple. You have obviously had good experiences with it; any tips for how to deadhead/prune it? I'm not familiar with Achillea; more investigations for me. I have been thinking that I would have either blackfoot daisy, alyssum, and/or Salvia Augusta Duelberg in the bed for some white. I hope that the bed will turn out as lovely as the word picture you painted.

• Thorntorn
    10 years ago

Blackfoot Daisy is also an excellent choice. Its water needs, being minimal would almost match the Salvia and Achillea I suggested. They like it dryish, but not as dry as Blackfoot Daisy does. Blackfoot Daisy is hard to overwinter here in W. PA due to its dry growing condition needs. Salvia and Achillea tolerate my winters very well and thrive.

Alyssum is always very dependable, self sows in abundance and its petunia/honey fragrance is a real bonus. It finishes up the edge of a border like no other. If it gets worn out after a long blooming session, just cut it back about 1/3 to 1/2, water adequately, lightly liquid feed at about 1/2 the recommended rate, and it should come back in lush bloom in no time.

Another great choice would be The Salvia Augusta D. you mentioned. Used along side SDLM because of its height of about 30" it would look magnificent. Its water needs are less than SDLM, so just do not water it as much, or just water SDLM and not it. It could get plenty of water to keep it blooming by this method because of its proxim ity to SDLM.

SDLM will reach varying mature heights depending on where in the USA it is growing. In my zone 5/6 garden it is not expected to reach over 3' at maturity. Reports of it reaching 6+ feet in CA and TX are normal. Of course it can be annually pruned to keep it shorter if the 6+ ft. height is too tall. Reports of it not responding well to pruning need to be kept in mind, tough. Mine is too young to know how well it will respond to pruning here in W. PA.

I believe the better the growing conditions and milder the winter the better SDLM will bounce back from pruning.

• User
    10 years ago

will just mention my latest craze - strobilanthes wallichii (looks like a purple balsam) and also S.penstemoides. Delphs - pah, ubiquitous.....but aconitums.....now we are talking.

Other than that, a chainsaw. SDLM - a duffer here in E.Anglia.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I have 2 SDLM's planted in front of my porch (one on each end) with 3 Carding Mill's in the middle. They look great together and smell fantastic.

10 years ago

meslgh, I'm sorry but I didn't keep any records of my irises. I think you'll do fine by going to one of the on-line iris nurseries and just picking the colors you like and ones that are listed as being heavy rebloomers. The shorter varieties haven't rebloomed well for me, though.

Ingrid

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

I have oregano planted in front of mine and I think its the coolest thing. It isn't the tastiest variety, but I leave it in because it is interesting looking and the color of the flowers are purple to start and get dusky throughout the summer. It spills into the yards. I don't mind how it flops - its an attractive flop. I hate how May Night Salvia flops though. The oregano and SDLM was an accidental pairing, but one of my favorites.

• meslgh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thornton, thanks for the additional information. I'm such a perfectionist/control freak that it is hard for me to relax and just go with the flow (eg SDLM may be 3' or may be 6', just be ready to adjust).

Campanula, duffer? I thought I was pretty cognizant of British vernacular. I'm guessing it is a non-performer for you. I'm always guessing what your gardening conditions are like compared to ours. I've been surprised at what plants do or do not like both East Anglia and North Texas. I always have to be on my toes with your suggestions!

Ken, what else do you have in that bed?

Ah, Ingrid, the other plants in your garden just do not have your heart the way the roses do! I've read that you have learned to like some mail order daylilies, but I'm guessing that you don't know there names either.

Zaphod, is that Mexican oregano?

• shopshops
    10 years ago

Me sigh, I have kronprincessin Viktoria next to SDLM. You can also use bog salvias. I see you also live in North Texas. You can usually get these for a dollar or so at Walmart in the Spring. They do well in shade or full sun in North Texas and the constant blue flowers will complement your rose bushes when they are in bloom or not.

• shopshops
    10 years ago

Me sigh, I have kronprincessin Viktoria next to SDLM. You can also use bog salvias. I see you also live in North Texas. You can usually get these for a dollar or so at Walmart in the Spring. They do well in shade or full sun in North Texas and the constant blue flowers will complement your rose bushes when they are in bloom or not.

10 years ago

meslgh, you're correct about the day lilies also, I'm afraid. How nice of you to remember that I have them.

Marjoram is my most trouble-free companion plant, with small gray leaves and airy little flower spikes that the bees absolutely love. It gets quite large and has to be cut back once or twice a year for best appearance and space issues. Lavenders have bitten the dust here rather often, as have many other plants in my iffy (or should I say miffy) garden conditions, but never this stalwart and beautiful plant.

Ingrid

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

It sounds like you are favoring blue for your companion plants for SDLM. I love my Blue Clips campanulas as companions for both pink and yellow roses. They can take the sun and heat and are planted in some hellishly hot spots. They bloom all summer, requiring one shearing around late July, and then they start blooming again very quickly. They are completely trouble free for me. I love the la Bella snapdragons you see next to the campanula in the pic. I use a lot of purple among my front yard roses. These are azalea type snaps, medium tall, and they bloom for months on end in heat or cold (still blooming right now), and act as short lived perennials in my climate. For SDLM, the pink snaps would be lovely. Diane