Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marie Louise redux?

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 11:21

This rose is listed in HMF as a Centifolia/Damask. I have no knowledge about those sorts of roses - hoping some of you can clue me in.

When we moved into our house over 20 years ago, my father-in-law pointed out a very double, dark pink rose and told me it was Marie Louise, and that his parents had planted it because that was his sister's name.

The area where it was growing was very shady, and it hardly bloomed at all. My Dh and I decided to move it, but this was early in my rose life, and we had no idea what we were doing - it died.

15 years later, we cut down a very huge tree in the front of our property, and the area where ML had originally been growing suddenly got a lot of light. All of the roses that were nearby have perked up and started growing and blooming much more.

Last week I was looking at those roses, and realized that, in the exact spot where ML had grown, there are about 10 tiny spindly thin rose canes coming up - they are about 12-18 inches high at this point. They are not growing out of one base, but are emerging from the soil several inches away from each other, over an area about 1 foot square. Two of them have produced blooms that look like the HMF pictures of ML - just sitting there, on the top of the spindly canes, which to my amazement are able to support them without falling over. The flowers are very very fragrant.

My question is - could this be ML coming back from ancient roots? My garden is messy, and it is possible that there has been some green growth there in the past, and I might not have noticed it, although I am sure there have not been any flowers since we dug up the original plant 15 years ago. Do Damask roses put out little canes over an area like that? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marie Louise redux?

Yes, in my experience Damask roses can sucker, though they are not as aggressive about it as rugosas and gallicas are.

I've actually had a number of own-root roses come up from random bits of roots left in the ground when I remove or transplant the original rose -- Hermosa, Sally Holmes, and Mermaid being three that come immediately to mind.

Rosefolly

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 17:07

I would say yes, indeed it is Marie Louise! Any roots that you left behind in the ground when you dug her out are probably responding to the better conditions and are growing now. Congratulations!

o

Ha! Then I will feed it and mulch it and see what it does by the Spring - how fun! Thanks -

Jackie

o

Jackie,

The only thing that seems peculiar is that HMF says that Marie Louise is a once only bloomer in Spring or Summer. This is very late for a Damask/Centifolia but I know nothing about what to expect in Califorbia.

Cath

o

Cath - I just figured that it produced blooms now because it finally got some sun, and is coming back to life. I have a Belle Portugaise, which is also a once bloomer, and it produced 4 blooms one year after we had to cut it back very hard.

Jackie

o

I can tell you that it suckers widely. I wouldn't call Marie Louise dark pink,but maybe what I call dark pink is different from what you call it.

o

When it blooms again (may be next year) I will post some pictures to see if we can identify it as ML or not.

Jackie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here