Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_l_w

Hoag House Cream

brenda_l_w
10 years ago

Please tell me about Hoag House Cream.

I received it a little over a month ago from RVR and it is doing well. Healthy dark green foliage and sporting a tiny bud now. I can't find too much about it elsewhere.

I know it is not exactly antique (more like vintage) but you all are the best people to ask about early HTs/found roses.

Comments (28)

• zjw727
    10 years ago

I have admired that lovely rose many times, I'm excited to know someone is growing it!

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Lovely rose. How nice to hear it so well appreciated! "Sumptuous" is a good quality in a rose. Or in just about anything else that I can think of.

Rosefolly

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Sumptuous indeed!!!

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I've grown it for years and love it. It is a little slow to start. Now it's five feet tall.

• brenda_l_w
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you info and pictures, catspa. In the little time I've had Hoag House Cream it holds true to what you report. Not the slowest or fastest grower and surprisingly healthy foliage.

Zachary, I think you should give it a try!

Ingrid (I think) reported this rose as having a "decadent" fragrance on HMF. Sumptous and decadent, those are pretty tempting descriptions....reminds me of cheesecake!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Just lovely! I've added it to my "When I Purchase Acreage" list.
    Your roses are always so pretty. Thank you for sharing them.
    Susan

• zjw727
    10 years ago

It's been on and off my Rogue Valley list about 700 times...

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Just for your info, it came originally from the oldest home in Santa Rosa California.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Brenda, Ingrid W. is actually another person, but I'm glad I looked at this thread again and saw the wonderful pictures and descriptions because they prompted me to order this rose from Rogue Valley. I'm very fond of the early hybrid teas and would love to add this one to my small collection.

Ingrid

• brenda_l_w
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Ingrid! I really thought the HMF commenter was you. I'm glad the misunderstanding brought you a new rose though.

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Ingrid, how exciting- I can't wait to hear how it does in your hot garden!

10 years ago

Surprisingly, the early hybrid teas seem not to mind the heat as long as they have plenty of water and mulch. They just require patience because everything seems to grow more slowly in my dry heat, but seeing the pictures of Hoag House Cream convinces me that even a few flowers on a small bush would be a treat.

Ingrid

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I know you will love it Ingrid if you are patient.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    9 years ago

This looks to be a very beautiful rose. Are there any ideas as to its identity? The foliage looks so much like one of the wichuraianas. How is the blackspot resistance? Also, anyone growing this in the colder zones. I wonder how hardy it is... Can you tell that I'm trying really hard not to add another rose to my wanted list?
    -Chris

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Oh man, I got all excited and then mad because I had one ordered from RVR and when I opened the box (after the post office got done trashing the box) I about had a heart attack when my rose was MIA. Turns out they had sold out and had to refund me but I was ready to head to the post office and ask just why am I so lucky to have so many things messed up by them.

But the thread is a year old....

I would love to hear what you find out Chris, but you might have to wait a bit for one (hopefully they let me know when they have it back in stock)

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    9 years ago

Kippy, you made me laugh, but really that's too bad! Hopefully you can get it next year. I'm eager to learn more about his rose, but it seems fairly uncommon. I'm starting to fall in love with these older hybrid teas, especially after Jeri's 'Snowbird' post.
    -Chris

9 years ago

Well, it's been more than a year and my Hoag House Cream is a single cane that may be a foot and a half tall at the most, but I'm forewarned that this rose takes time to grow. I'm sure my conditions might have held it back since it gets all-day scorching sun, but it has been completely healthy. I'd forgotten this thread and was very happy to look at the beautiful pictures again. I've recently fertilized mine with seabird guano and I'm curious whether this will encourage it to branch out a bit more.

Ingrid

• roseseek
    9 years ago

It definitely appears to be one which would benefit greatly from budding. Kim

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    9 years ago

Hmm, do we know anyone who knows how to bud roses?
    ;)

• krakenz
    9 years ago

That is one beautiful rose with a depth of character

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

The last thing I need is another rose to put on a wish list- but there it is. I love roses that have a subtlety to their color that tend to change a bit with the seasons. But fragrant roses grab me and pull me in. Hybrid teas haven't done well for me though, so that means I'll probably admire everyone else's.

• kathyaman4
    6 years ago

I ordered this rose but the buds are very red so I think that RVR sent me the wrong rose. Any help would be wonderful. Attached is a photo of the bud. I hope that RVR is an honorable company and fixes their mistake.

• Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    6 years ago

Certainly does look like the wrong rose! My dealings with RVR have always been good so hopefully you will get your correct rose promptly. The pain is waiting for it to get big enough to produce blooms.

• lindaperry_9b
    6 years ago

Hi, katyaman4. I also ordered Hoag House Cream, from RVR, and also received this same exciting other rose (maybe American Beauty?) It's not super-fragrant but still so little. It did bloom like crazy. However, I was never at all concerned about getting it sorted out. Janet Inada stands behind her business. I have quite a few new little ones blooming for the first time and so I'm watching to verify them all, including the fun "mystery" roses she likes to pass along. The thing to do is just dash off a quick email to her, including your photo above so it will be nice and clear and request either replacement or refund, if it's not available now. The list online shows the rose as "in stock" at the moment but since we both got the same (different) rose, I'm preparing myself, emotionally, for a refund. I'll immediately spend it on one of the other highly desirable choices she's keeping in commerce, and put myself on the waiting list for HHC! Katyaman4, I'm sure we'll get our Hoag House Cream's sooner or later and I sure hope it's sooner! All will be well.

• kathyaman4
    6 years ago

Thanks for the ideas on how to move forward. I have already written her twice but have heard absolutely nothing back from her. I am not sure what to do now? Does it take her some time to get back to someone? I just want the real one I ordered sent to me. It is in stock. I have so many more I want to order in the future so I hope that this does not turn me off due to her lack on contacting me about fixing the issue of her mislabeling. I am at a loss now.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Could you phone her, Kathy?

• lindaperry_9b
    6 years ago

Kathyaman4 (sorry I botched your name last message.). I second Sheila's phone call suggestion. That's my preferred contact method, in general, but in a case of getting the wrong rose, I think you were right to send the photo. Now, perhaps a follow-up call to ask "hey, where is everybody?" Let's both hope they can find a couple of these blooming in cream rather than in red! Catspa's gorgeous photos up at the top are very inspiring.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living