Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinkie, Climbing...what a pleasure!

Posted by sherryocala 9A Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 12:53

Well, I finally bit the bullet and got her vertical last weekend. I was amazed by the flexibility of her canes. After I pulled her up and close to the trellis I had to detangle her and pull canes through and out of the mass. Usually at this point some will bend/crimp and break (I'm not always as gentle as I should be - no wait, I think I'm being gentle right up until they snap.) Pinkie's canes would flex double on themselves and not crimp. I think I only snapped one which was brand new growth and only lost 3 or 4 inches of the tip. Also, my method was often to pull a cane out of the mass and let it run through my hand - sans gloves!!! No prickles!! I found (ouch) only a very few tiny ones. I was pleasantly surprised by the ease with which this job was accomplished.

Here she is out of control nine days ago on the 14th. One cane had grown THROUGH the light fixture. Chop, chop.

Pinkie 10-14-11

And today after her makeover on the 15th.

Pinkie 10-23-11

Pinkie 10-23-11

Pinkie 10-23-11

I think she's headed for the light fixture again! The plan is to raise the height of the foliage higher so it can plume over the heads of passersby rather than slap them in the face.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinkie, Climbing...what a pleasure!

Very nice, Sherry! I LOVE this rose, think she and Belinda's Dream are probably my favorites to grow. I do need to do something with Pinkie by next spring, a slight haircut, and get her organized like you did, maybe.

o

Thank you Sherry, that is exactly what i need to do with my climbing pinkie.

o

Excellent job, Sherry! All I want to know is why MINE has thorns. It also doesn't bloom much because it doesn't get enough sun. I'm growing it as a giant bush and even just having it be mostly green it not a bad thing.

Ingrid

o

Ogrose & Ibheri, after the cutting was done I had only a very little pile, mostly that big cluster of canes by the light fixture and little stuff growing low on the canes. Maybe she'll only need a trim.

Ingrid, mine hasn't bloomed much either in lots of sun. Maybe their young age is the issue. Like I said, I caught myself doing stupid things with a rose cane without getting stuck. Pretty amazing. I could work with this rose all day. I forget where the thorns were that stuck me, but they were rare. Mostly green is definitely a good thing.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o

Mine is growing on my 6' chain link fence, is 3 years old, about 10' wide and covers the 6' fence. Got this rose from ARE in September, by October it was blooming, has been great! I'm not having the fall flush I normally get this year, but couldn't ask for a better rose as far as blooms go, and really no problems at all!

o

Very nice Sherry. I really like Pinky too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here