Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

pruning Grey Dawn

Ok. So I don't think Grey Dawn is an antique but I figured more of you all grew it on this forum than the other. Please forgive me if I am being rude.
I love this rose. I love Spiced Coffee too. And Cafe Ole.
I love the color.
I'm surprised that they have grown fairly well and are ready to be sized up.
My question is that the canes are long and floppy. Should I prune to an inward bud? They don't seem to have much foliage.
I'm assuming I shouldn't prune til end of winter...
In general, should non vigorous hybrid teas be pruned to a center bud?
Thanks!
Susan

Comments (3)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Prune these types lightly. They tend to be reluctant growers, especially own root, where they simply lack enough vigor to really "push". One of their issues is their inability to generate truly vigorous, large root systems. If they are flopping (laying down), pruning to an upward or inward bud may help encourage them to grow more in the direction you desire. As you've witnessed, they aren't heavily foliated, therefore they also suffer from a lowered ability to produce their own food supplies compared to types with denser, fuller leaves. Another example of our "unnatural selection", as these types most certainly would never survive in Nature on their own. Kim

• hartwood
    10 years ago

I don't grow Grey Dawn, but I do grow a lot of roses that others would shovel prune for being poor performers. I have noticed a definite improvement in their vigor over time, especially when I see to their fertilizer and watering needs, and when I am more diligent with my fungicide to keep the blackspot at bay.

As an example, Lyon Rose has always been a runt in a prime space in my front garden, but I keep it because it's rare and historic. This year, I fertilized with Osmocote in May, mulched it well, kept the weeds under control, watered it whenever I thought it needed it, and sprayed it regularly with Honor Guard. It rewarded me by growing from a one-foot embarrassment into a 3 x 3 foot plant (still kind of spindly), but it's been flowering pretty much nonstop in flushes all summer long. For pruning, I plan to do as little of that as possible come springtime.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I'm sure not giving up. Looks like I have me a "coddler". Which is just fine because I love her.
    Thanks you all.
    Susan

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County